Disability Bays

michele

I have just been to Tescos with two of the children I am not a slow driver but I don't tend to race just because I can.

I pulled into the car park and this lady was sitting right on my A**E I was getting slightly peed off with her as every parking gap that I wished to take you got the feeling that she would not stop she was far to close .

I have two children & two disability badges am I going to use them NO reason I can get close enough to the entrance with the kids leaving the Disabled bays empty for people worse off than them .

I finally find a space reverse in in one and this lady is shaking her head I ignore her even though by now I feel the Eastend Geordie Essex coming out in me I would like to get out a slap her upside her face :->

She shouts to me hurry up love Thats it I snapped ...I asked her who you chatting at luv :D the smile has now gone from her face ..

she pops her head back in the car a middle aged woman and proceeds to step on th excelerator and wizz into a disabled bay .

I sit there stunned :-| thinking wait till she gets out I wait out she gets and runs to the store :-( Disabled my left foot .

I go into the store and go straight to customer services where I complain .

On leaving the shop I go to check out her badge NO BADGE now I feel like blocking her in.. Should I why not :D I am laughing because one of the kids wants the toilet so I block her in and take the kids to the toilet.

I can see her inside packing her shopping I ,m laughing to myself maybe I will get some shopping why not I have a few hours with the kids to kill before bath time& bed I decided against it and I just buy them a few sweeties.

I follow her out she is quite oblivious to who I am she has forgotten all about it now ... I walk out the door behind her she looks up and see's her car blocked the language is choice . Now I thinks to myself you either have to go for it and give her a slap because this mouthy cow isn't going to back down but thats not a good idea is it fighting at my age and with the kids . So I take a sweetie out to give to the children and I stand at the entrance of the store she is asking everyone who the car belongs to. The guy next to her has no legs his wife is loading the wheelchair in the back. The passenger door is open and the guy proceeds to shout that people should know better blocking bays let alone a disabled bay . Its like this guy got a second wind because all of a sudden he realises she is on her own loading the car ranting & raving walking and running up and down He now realises that she ain't disabled and he calls her all the lazy Fat Bi**es under the sun then his wife joined in .

I am casually standing watching it all. I must admit I was laughing i looked up and a police car came round the corner into Tesco's and would you believe it it was my daughter Oh justice was sweet ....She didn't have the gall to shout at me now with the husband the wife & the police in attendance just as I drove away a lady from security Tescos came out ..

I smiled and waved at her bye luv see you again.... :D :D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My goodness Michele ... did she peeve you a bit by any chance????? :D

Must admit this is one of my pet hates, there is never an excuse good enough to use a disabled bay unless you are legally entitled to it. No matter how short of time you are or how quick you are going to be, it is not on at all. I wish I had the gaul to do what you did though, sounds like it was fun to watch! Hopefully she will think twice about doing it in the future, unfortunately though, probably not because she shouldn't but simply because she doesn't want to get blocked in by the mad 'Essex/Geordie' and get the aggro again!!! >:-)

I just wish the stores would do something to enforce the parking 'rules' though, they usually don't give a toss, thinking that just creating the bays means they've done their bit. :-|

I usually go casually along BOTH sides of the car with my keys.

Makes a mess of my hands with all that dust going on them but I don't really mind.

I consider it my public duty

Syd - 2007-09-18 10:13 PM

I usually go casually along BOTH sides of the car with my keys.

Makes a mess of my hands with all that dust going on them but I don't really mind.

I consider it my public duty

Not acceptable in my book, Syd.

You do like taking the law into your own hands, don't you?

It could be argued that the behaviour of able people that park in disabled bays is indicative of their attitude to the good and reasonable law-abiding citizens that suffer at their hand. I’d wager that such disregard is the tip of a large anti-social iceberg. Witness the attitude of the person in question to michele.

Would anyone reasonable park in such a place? It’s not just about parking; it’s about how some people are happy to make their way in life by walking over the backs of others.

It fills me with hope that there are people like Syd and michele who make a stand. I do too.

I’d have their cars crushed.

michele - 2007-09-18 10:19 PM

Syd,

You don't do you ? do you have a disability ? if not why do you get so angry about it ?.. ;-)

My son is very disabled with Cerebral Palsy and that annoys me intensly.

I usually sit there and watch the peoples reaction when they return to their cars.

I know, I know, Im sick.

Sometimes I will go across to them and quietly mention the disabled bay and then leave.

J9withdogs - 2007-09-18 10:28 PM

This is why I do not have many friends and I like it this way.

Parking by non disabled people in disabled parking bays is, in my opinion, the hight of ignorance.

Why should a disabled driver or caraer have to struggle in too small of a parking place just because of their flagrant disregard for common decency and respect.

I think that "getting the message over to them" in a mild manner simply does not work and so I am trying an alternative message,

I think it works better.

Think about it now.

The police use my methods to stop us from speeding.

They hit us through our pockets until we stop.

I just do the same regarding parking in disabled bays.

Hi,

I will come at this from the opposite direction. I've read that 25% of the population of my nearest town (Neath) are disabled...though I don't KNOW what that means, but I suspect that it means there are some people who regard the badge as an asset. OK, OK, I know there are a lot that are genuine...but 25%.

Would it be fair to assume that a large proportion of the genuine cases are not employed? If so, would it be fair to ask, that on just one day a week, that all the dedicated disabled bays are de-dedicated so that those who are unable to shop during working hours are able to park in town. I'm not saying that disabled drivers are not allowed, just that they have to share their parking spaces. I think I have seen something like this in Leominster (?). The sign said "Disabled Only except on Market Days".

Lets face it, If able-bodied drivers are not allowed to park in town, the parking places will be reduced, so eventually there will be nowhere for disabled drivers to park either. A large area in the centre of Neath is covered with a recent housing development...as far as I can see, it is all sheltered housing. So no room for able-bodied people to live where they work. I suspect this is a function (in mathmatical sense) of the Housing Association rules. No doubt the residents of these sheltered houses stay home in the evening, so there is no clash with the drinkers who move into town each evening.

Many of us have seen reputedly disabled drivers striding back to their cars, apparently fitter than ourselves. Raise this with the authorities, and we are told that their disabilities may not be obvious. Neither are my disabilities, athritic knees and other things, but unless I join the club.....

A neighbour recently moved from our street (sigh of relief) Aged mid-50s, his last job appears to have been milk monitor. But he claims a bad leg, so recieved £1500 per month in benefits, cash and kind. He is working towards getting a disabled badge for his car, and plans to get mobility allowance soon after. He says the "system" is there to be worked. He is not helping the cause of those who are genuinly disabled, but woe betide anybody who queries his rights.

Despite the above, I am in favour of giving benefits and priorities to those who are genuinly disabled. I think the system needs tightening up.

My wife has been disabled since birth. Only once have I known to play the trump card, and that was when she had to carry both a brief case and a suitcase to London, and she was refused permission to use her car. Civil Service policy was to use public transport. It took about 3 seconds to change her boss's mind. We don't go into town on a Saturday either.

I regret to say that my son-in-law regarded his baby as a means of getting a parking bay a Milton Keynes TESCO car park. He didn't need to take the child, but it made his trip easier, and the push chair made everybody else's more difficult.

602 (Much hated)

I do not condone what you do Syd, but understand where you are coming from.

With the police more interested in gaining points for their targets (not the police’s fault - but that of our stupid politically correct moronic civil servant and politicians) many many people are beginning to take the law into their own hands.

I suspect it will not be long before some irate car/house/whatever owner uses a baseball bat/gun on the pond life that damages their property. And if I was on the jury I would be very tempted to find them not guilty.

However, this does mean that someone could feel justified in taking a baseball bat to you if they catch you doing what you say you do.

And then there is that fact that I would put a £ to a penny that you have already been caught on CCTV.

They just haven't linked it all together yet - but carry on and they will.

So I suggest superglued poster sized stickers on their windscreen. I had one of these things put on my windscreen when I made a genuine mistake and parked where I should not have in a hospital (my son had been admitted with a badly broken foot so I was not paying attention) It took some time to get off, but caused no long term damage.

There is some very good wording to put on such a spoof parking ticket – I shall try to find it and post it later – but all I remember is the last line that said

“May the fleas of a thousand camels infest you’re a*she*le”

(lol) (lol)

I claim no credit or anything but I have noticed a distinct availability of disabled parking spaces at one place that I attend on a regularl basis.

I hate cheaters who claim to be disabled when they are not and make a point of reporting them.

I had a jobbing builder do quiet a lot of work for me, he did a great job but I finnished him when I learned that he was on full disability with a seriously bad back. He is now in full time employment.

In Benidorm there are many of these cheating Brits who have their money sent out there to them while there is nothing, or almost nothing, wrong with them. One of them actually runs a Bar in town would you believe.

A severe disability in a family can have devastating effects, take my son for instance, just how do you think I have felt over the years.

I see adverts on TV where the family of three or four are on the beach playing football or flying kites or whatever. Then I often get these great overwhelming pangs of being cheated and deep sorrow for my son who I have been unable to help enough and so on, so on.

In my sons case I have in general found the health service and Social services to be all mouth and gaiters treating the effects of the disability but not trying to do anything for the causes of it

A doctor once said to me after seeing my son "I know how you feel Syd"

Well he doesn't and couldn't and neither could anyone else and he was told not to make such a stupid remark to me again.

All of this makes me seem like a doom and gloom merchant hell bent on violence but really at home we have at least eight garden parties a year which always have about 10/15 people attending and go on until late, free food and drink. Guy Fawlks night is always celebrated in style with all of our neighbours coming round.

Christmas sees our house decorated in some considerable style with Santa letters for EVERYONE and a big Santa postbox. We write back to every child who posts a letter to Santa and usually we invite that child back to the house for a small presant that Santa has left there just for them.

I just have certain bad habits thats all

handyman - 2007-09-19 9:02 AM

why do disabled drivers get free parking? (in areas where everyone else needs to pay)

One qualification for full disability is that a person cannot walk more than about 10/20 yards or so (I think) so they have to be able to park near to where they need to be otherwise they cannot get there. Also disabled parking bays are generally wider than other parking bays for obvious reasons.

Im quiet sure that the genuine disabled person would gladly swap their disability for a ticket at a parking payment machine anytime

Syd,

They may not see their invitations as optional!

You are right to bring up the abuse of 'the system', but the abusers could rightly be lumped in with those who just disregard and disrespect the honest working citizen and, for example, unlawfully park in bays designated for specific users.

They are all simply parasites.

I’d suggest that if the abusers were foiled then there wouldn’t be a need to focus on whittling down the privileges afforded to the genuine person with disability.

It’s a huge pity that once again it takes people like Syd to make a stand (sorting the benefit gathering builder in this instance) to right societal wrongs while the authorities seemingly ineffectively chase around in a blur of their own bureaucracy.

Syd

I had a feeling you genuinely felt strongly about this and I agree with you 100%.

I just do not want you to end up on the wrong side of the "law" - even tho I have every sympathy for your motives - I have a problem with what you say you actually do.

But if I were the magistrate (I am not one) when these pond life come before the bench for using false disability cards or abusing disability bays I would make them do community work with the disabled.

handyman - 2007-09-19 9:02 AM why do disabled drivers get free parking? (in areas where everyone else needs to pay)

Yes, and why do they get free prosthetic limbs, and why does the state give them a living allowance just because they can’t work. Furthermore, why should employers have to bother with them if they do have the audacity to want to work but are dependant on a wheelchair?

Syd - 2007-09-19 12:41 AM

Think about it now.

The police use my methods to stop us from speeding.

They hit us through our pockets until we stop.

I just do the same regarding parking in disabled bays.

In my humble opinion, Syd, it is still criminal damage no matter how you dress it up.

The police use legal, if not popular, means to get us to behave.

What you are doing doesn't even put a message across - if people are ignorant enough to park in a disabled person's space they are not going to stop just because someone damages their car.

If everyone in the country doled out their own justice, anarchy would result. What makes you so special?

In my humble opinion, Syd, it is still criminal damage no matter how you dress it up.

The police use legal, if not popular, means to get us to behave.

What you are doing doesn't even put a message across - if people are ignorant enough to park in a disabled person's space they are not going to stop just because someone damages their car.

If everyone in the country doled out their own justice, anarchy would result. What makes you so special?

What makes me so special!!, well I would have thought that just by being me would be enough to single me out as being special.

I really do feel special most of the time doesn't everyone

Archived