Dog Bites Postman

howie

The whole family have abanded me this morning and left me to fend for myself and i,m bored. And when i,m bored I usually get into trouble. therefore I shall concentrate my energies on telling you of what happened some three or four years ago. The postman arrived, and with only a single leaf flyer proceeded to push it through the letter box with his fingers. Unfortunately, the highlight of the day is for Bonnie the dog is to grab the mail and fetch it into us. I heard the postman yell, and went to the door to see what had happened. He stood there with blood pouring from his finger where Bonnie had cought him. We took him inside and the wife cleaned and dressed the wound and he left shortly afterwards assuring us he was o.k.. End of story. Not quite. A week or two later we received a letter from the Post Offiice Union advising us to contact our solicitor as they were putting in a claim against us re. injury to one of their members. We contacted the legal department with our house insurance company and they sent along a rep. to check the details. He had a look at the letterbox and Bonnie had a mug shot to prove she wasn,t classed as a dangerous breed. The claim of almost £2500 was thrown out because the postman was found to be negligent by having his fingers inside the door, but the rep. did warn us that a similar occurence might well go against us. With this in mind I have now fitted a wiremesh box behind the door to take the mail, but still a reminder of our responsibilitys when ever someone steps on to our property. Howard.

My sisters neighbour also had a bad experience with a letter box that ended him up in court,. He had an evening paper delivered every night by a young girl from the village, he timed it well and as the paper was about to go in , his todger came out, luckily the girl at the time wasnt intimidated by this and just carried on her round. It happened again the next night, so she went back and told the shop who in turn contacted the police, who decided they needed evidence , so the following evening the same thing occured, feeling more confident with the back up she had, the girl wacked him one with the paper and then knocked on the door, door flew open and there stood the village bobby. Dont think he tried anything again, and probably stopped his papers . So maybe I will think again about putting something through your door Howard, dont think I care to face you or the dog. You will have to wait for your postie for your MMM, and be pateint.

Under the Dangerous Dogs Act your home/car can become a 'public place' and your dog could be 'out of control in a public place' which is an arrestable offence. People do not realise that once the dog is removed the owners have no legal claim to visit or even know where the dog is being held :'( ....... we can't be too careful with our pets especially with the recent media hype of dog attacks on children. A wire cage is a good idea as it protects the dog from being smothered by all the junk mail ........ ;-)

I seem to recall reading somewhere that you shouldn't put up a sign to say that you have a dog on the premises, even the "I live here" type, as this can indicate that you are 'warning' people that you have a potentially dangerous dog, you're better off NOT telling them!

We have a new paper delivery person (young girl) who had discovered we have a dog and that by rattling the letterbox before she put the paper through she could get his attention. She then puts the paper part way through and waves it about to wind him up. I went to the paper shop and told them about this, I also explained that as our front door doesn't have a yale type lock if it's not locked then Dex could possibly open it and if this happened when she was winding him up he would probably take a large bite of her arm. She now puts the paper through very quietly! D.

Dave If you peer carefully, it looks like the collar isn't there (similar colour to the background), so Dex's head is 'floating' above him!!! Once you've spotted this you can't get the image out of your mind, every time I look at him now I just see a detached head!!!

Update on the paper delivery person and our dog. She told me last evening that she is now too scared of our dog to put our paper through the letter box and gets her mate to do it. I explained that if she just puts the paper through quickly he won't bother her but I don't think she beleived me. I can't win can I ? D.

Hi Michelle, yes Dexter is our own dog. We adopted him from the Dog's trust (used to NCDL) five years ago. He is an absolute star and comes to work with me almost every day. Sadly he seems to be a bit racist though, a neghbouring unit has a lot of Nigerian visitors and Dex grumbles at them every time they go past. He doesn't like people running either, I reckon he thinks they're playing but when an apprentice from a neighbouring workshop ran past Dex grabbed him by the thigh and pinned him to a car, oops! No injuries were sustained but the apprentice doesn't run past any more. D.

Archived