Duty Free!

kewstokeboy

I'm reliably informed that there are severe restrictions on alcohol / tobacco when returning through France to the UK from Spain. (These restrictions are, supposedly, monitored at the Spanish/French border). Can anyone quote me 'chapter & verse' on the French custom restrictions when travelling back from Spain?

Have I missed something here?

As I understand it, EU rules say there are NO limits to how much stuff you can take from one EU country to another as long as it's not for resale. The only issue is whether Customs believe it IS for your own use - and for that purpose alone there are GUIDLEINES about quantites that will be accepted as personal.

On that basis, I'd assume that if you stray a little over those guidelines, no action would be taken, and even if you were well over, the onus would be on the authorities to show why they think you're planning to re-sell - or to catch you when you try to do so.

It's never been an issue for us, as we can never afford to bring back enough wine to see us through to Christmas, let alone enough to flog on to anyone else, but if I've got this wrong I'd like to know - with chapter and verse, like David.

Tony

Tony- I think you have got it perfectly right, That is how I have always understood it. To get it into perspetive with motorhome payloads you would damage the vehicle if you were to bring in hugh quantities of drink. If you were to just bring in fags you would have to have 1000s packets to run foul of the law. Can you imagine the distress if you tried it and had your motorhome impounded :-( Bring in as much as you can safely carry and theres no problem. chas

Don,t think anyone can quote you chapter and verse on this forum David. There are restrictions in place, but these apply to wether profit is involved. Bit of a grey area and one of the Custom and Excise webs would be advisable first.

Thanks for all the replies, although I'm still a little hazy about the exact regs. The question was asked because a friend was stopped at the border & stripped of all alcohol/tobacco except 1 litre of spirits & 200 cigarettes. Yes, I agree it SHOULD be the same in every EU country, but ............

kewstokeboy - 2007-06-11 4:37 PM Thanks for all the replies, although I'm still a little hazy about the exact regs. The question was asked because a friend was stopped at the border & stripped of all alcohol/tobacco except 1 litre of spirits & 200 cigarettes. Yes, I agree it SHOULD be the same in every EU country, but ............

Can you find out more about when and exactly where?  I can't remember a manned border post between France and Spain, although I read something a while back about the French getting a bit stroppy with some of the Spanish traffic.  Can't remember why.

The French have introduced a restriction on Cigarettes & tobacco on EU travellers transiting thier country, it is to restrict the amount of cigs the french buy outside thier country as it is ruining the tabac industry, can`t remember what the restriction actually is, but it is low. There was an article in a recent caravan club magazine about an English motorhome being stopped by the police on the French Belgium border they were within the UK guidelines but over the French ones as they did not know there was a restriction. An on the spot fine and confiscation ensued. When they got home they took it up with there MP who investigated and tolld them that the French had indeed introduced restrictions.

I don't think alcohol is a problem. It's the fact that the French have put the price of cigarettes up so much that people were crossing the borders and stocking up. Much easier to do than a booze cruise.

Here in Spain you can get 20 Marlboro for 3.10€ (£2.10) and cheaper brands like Fortuna for 2.40€ (£1.63). I understand in France they are much nearer UK prices.

Archived