EMA closure

HarveyHeaven

What are the Brexiters saying about this? I guess they will blame the EU not the UK despite it being the UK who pulled out of the EU and not the other way round.

In September it emerged that Britain’s leading role in evaluating new medicines for sale to patients across the EU had collapsed with no more work coming from Europe because of Brexit.

The European Medicines Agency has been in London since 1995 and has closed its offices for the last time on Friday with the loss of 900 jobs. This is as a direct result of Brexit as the EMA has to operate from within a member state of the EU.

My prediction is that no Brexiter will respond.....or if the do they will refuse to admit it was Brexit....mind you I'm not sure who or what else they CAN blame in this instance.........Prroject Fear is not an acceptable answer since it is just a sound bite.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman

Loss of 900 jobs? :-S ...........

"According to the 2017 EBA expenditure report, 134 of the agency's staff are temporary, 33 are on full-time contracts and 17 are seconded national experts. Just 12 of the staff are U.K. citizens according to the EBA annual report. The EMA’s annual report says in 2016 they had 587 temporary staff, and 143 contract staff. It employs around 60 U.K. nationals."

As I understand it they all have the option to relocate ........Even the 60 Brits they employ ;-) .........

https://www.politico.eu/article/ema-eba-staff-london-benefits/

HarveyHeaven - 2019-01-26 7:12 PM

What are the Brexiters saying about this? I guess they will blame the EU not the UK despite it being the UK who pulled out of the EU and not the other way round.

My prediction is that no Brexiter will respond.....or if the do they will refuse to admit it was Brexit....mind you I'm not sure who or what else they CAN blame in this instance.........Project Fear is not an acceptable answer since it is just a sound bite.

Typically pretty much ignoring it. Blue passports and 'borders' are more important to them. Comments on this tweet are interesting.

Also last year trialing of a new heart drug was abandoned as a result of Brexit. Brexiters will deny this also.

A Scottish government spokesman said "this is the first clinical study we are aware of to be suspended in Scotland as a result of Brexit - and a very concerning sign of what could happen".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-45727317

pelmetman - 2019-01-26 8:22 PM

Loss of 900 jobs? :-S ...........

"According to the 2017 EBA expenditure report, 134 of the agency's staff are temporary, 33 are on full-time contracts and 17 are seconded national experts. Just 12 of the staff are U.K. citizens according to the EBA annual report. The EMA’s annual report says in 2016 they had 587 temporary staff, and 143 contract staff. It employs around 60 U.K. nationals."

As I understand it they all have the option to relocate ........Even the 60 Brits they employ ;-) .........

https://www.politico.eu/article/ema-eba-staff-london-benefits/

...but you haven't yet expressed a view... on the fact that Brexit is responsible not only for job losses but for the loss of status, expertise and research and development in a crucial area??

Guest pelmetman
HarveyHeaven - 2019-01-27 8:38 AM

...but you haven't yet expressed a view... on the fact that Brexit is responsible not only for job losses but for the loss of status, expertise and research and development in a crucial area??

What job losses? :-S ............As I understand it they're being relocated ;-) ..........

Do you know how many of the "60" Brits employed have decided not to relocate? :-| .........

As for loss of status? :-S ...........

Is that more important to you Remoaners than the millions we plough into EU quango's *-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-26 9:08 PM

My prediction is that no Brexiter will respond.....or if the do they will refuse to admit it was Brexit....mind you I'm not sure who or what else they CAN blame in this instance.........Project Fear is not an acceptable answer since it is just a sound bite.

Typically pretty much ignoring it. Blue passports and 'borders' are more important to them. Comments on this tweet are interesting.

Also last year trialing of a new heart drug was abandoned as a result of Brexit. Brexiters will deny this also.

A Scottish government spokesman said "this is the first clinical study we are aware of to be suspended in Scotland as a result of Brexit - and a very concerning sign of what could happen".

So basically your saying drug companies wont be using Brits as guinea pigs? ;-) ...........

pelmetman - 2019-01-27 9:32 AM

So basically your saying drug companies wont be using Brits as guinea pigs? ;-) ...........

When proved WRONG...your only recourse ....make a joke or offer a sound bite...dohhhh!!!

Why would anyone be surprised that an EU entity would need to move to an EU country to retain it's very questionable EU status, although it dies of course give remoaners something else to moan about in their never ending quest to attack Brexit in any and every way they can find.

Curiosity aroused to see jusy how many UK jobs would be lost, after a brief web trawl I found this little snippet which puts it more into perspective

"Under current rules, U.K. employees of the agencies would have their contracts terminated because EU staff must be a national of a member country unless the agency employing them makes a specific exception. Meanwhile, employees from the countries remaining in the EU who do not wish to relocate will have to resign, meaning that they forfeit generous benefits.

"The staff representatives will follow closely all the consequences of Brexit for staff ... and we will endeavor to mitigate the negative consequences," said Félix Géradon, deputy secretary-general of Union Syndicale Bruxelles, the largest EU staff union.

According to the 2017 EBA expenditure report, 134 of the agency's staff are temporary, 33 are on full-time contracts and 17 are seconded national experts. Just 12 of the staff are U.K. citizens according to the EBA annual report. The EMA’s annual report says in 2016 they had 587 temporary staff, and 143 contract staff. It employs around 60 U.K. nationals.

Guest pelmetman
HarveyHeaven - 2019-01-27 9:57 AM

pelmetman - 2019-01-27 9:32 AM

When proved WRONG...your only recourse ....make a joke or offer a sound bite...dohhhh!!!

I'm proved wrong??? 8-) ............

You are the one spreading fake news about 900 job loses ......Dohhh!!! :D .........

You can argue about the number of job losses if you like Dave but you should also see the bigger picture. Its yet another agency we are no longer able to influence or take part in. Britain as a result of being in the EMA had a major influence in medicine research, development and standards. Its just another one going on your Brexit bonfire from banking to healthcare. We will be locked out of all of these agencies now on our race to the bottom.

Never mind, waiting in the wings is you beloved President Trump who will I am sure offer us a deal (on his terms) on everything from Pharmaceuticals to dodgy chicken. We will just have to take his word for it that they are all ok and safe though I guess. Start saving for your medical insurance plan now for when the final nail in the coffin is when your new far right ToryKippers flog him our NHS.

If 900 jobs are lost, that is 900 salaries that have gone. Some will, presumably, get other jobs in UK. It isn't relevant whether the others re-locate outside the UK, or sign on the dole. Their spending will disappear. That will knock on to other businesses. That is how economies work. That is why the loss of these, and other jobs, matters. They record a gradual diminution of the UK economy, and many of the losses have Brexit written right through the middle. Bear I mind that the form of Brexit has not yet been determined, and that we are still in the EU. These are just the foothills.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-01-27 12:52 PM

If 900 jobs are lost, that is 900 salaries that have gone. Some will, presumably, get other jobs in UK. It isn't relevant whether the others re-locate outside the UK, or sign on the dole. Their spending will disappear. That will knock on to other businesses. That is how economies work. That is why the loss of these, and other jobs, matters. They record a gradual diminution of the UK economy, and many of the losses have Brexit written right through the middle. Bear I mind that the form of Brexit has not yet been determined, and that we are still in the EU. These are just the foothills.

But 900 jobs haven't been lost ;-) ........They have been relocated :D ........

Whether the 60 Brits have decided to relocate no one knows, but apparently 25% (200ish) of their staff are thinking of not relocating, so I'm assuming they have found other work here in our buoyant jobs market B-) .......

Being a positive Brexiteer I see it as the UK saving millions on a EU quango, which will carry on doing its job but paid for by someone else B-) .......

pelmetman - 2019-01-27 1:00 PM

Whether the 60 Brits have decided to relocate no one knows, but apparently 25% (200ish) of their staff are thinking of not relocating, so I'm assuming they have found other work here in our buoyant jobs market B-) .......

Being a positive Brexiteer I see it as the UK saving millions on a EU quango, which will carry on doing its job but paid for by someone else B-) .......

Relocated Dave, yes - to the Netherlands. So, the staff and their spending goes to benefit the Dutch economy and is lost to the UK economy. As I said some will probably be made redundant, some (I hope all) will get other jobs, but those other jobs would have been filled eventually in any case. So, when organisations move staff abroad (whether the actual personnel or just the posts, the UK economy shrinks a bit as a consequence. You can bury your head in the sand as deep as you like, but that is the simple, arithmetic, truth.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-01-27 4:50 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-27 1:00 PM

Relocated Dave, yes - to the Netherlands. So, the staff and their spending goes to benefit the Dutch economy and is lost to the UK economy. As I said some will probably be made redundant, some (I hope all) will get other jobs, but those other jobs would have been filled eventually in any case. So, when organisations move staff abroad (whether the actual personnel or just the posts, the UK economy shrinks a bit as a consequence. You can bury your head in the sand as deep as you like, but that is the simple, arithmetic, truth.

Nope no ones being made redundant unless they refuse to relocate ;-) ..........and I suspect the only ones turning down a generous EU relocation package, will be those who have been offered a even more generous headhunting package :D .........

BTW .....The few quid in employee tax we may have lost, will be far out weighed by the millions we'll save from not funding another EU quango B-) ........

I dunno where you bury your head Brian?.........But it obviously doesn't smell of roses like where I bury mine :D ........

pelmetman - 2019-01-27 5:02 PM........................Nope no ones being made redundant unless they refuse to relocate ;-) ..........and I suspect the only ones turning down a generous EU relocation package, will be those who have been offered a even more generous headhunting package :D .........

BTW .....The few quid in employee tax we may have lost, will be far out weighed by the millions we'll save from not funding another EU quango B-) ........……………... ........

"Nope no ones being made redundant unless they refuse to relocate." Redundancy is redundancy whatever the cause.

But, you're missing the main point Dave. It is the economic loss that counts, not the loss in tax. Even if the whole crew relocates, it is the fact that those 900 people presently live, and so spend their incomes, in the UK that counts. If the jobs go to the Netherlands, the incomes go with them, so the benefit from those jobs to the UK economy is lost.

So I can take it that the Remainers are happy with the part of the statement that reads:

"Under current rules, U.K. employees of the agencies would have their contracts terminated because EU staff must be a national of a member country unless the agency employing them makes a specific exception.

To me, that sounds a bit "Third Reich" and shows how inward looking and divisive the EU has become. It also reflects their opinion of a Brexit.

Actually, I voted Leave but I am coming round to a new opinion. It may be better to forget Brexit, get our heads down and be good little Europeans and watch the EU slowly disintegrate around us. :D We could have a bit of fun by using the veto now and again. ;-)

Brian Kirby - 2019-01-27 5:49 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-27 5:02 PM........................Nope no ones being made redundant unless they refuse to relocate ;-) ..........and I suspect the only ones turning down a generous EU relocation package, will be those who have been offered a even more generous headhunting package :D .........

BTW .....The few quid in employee tax we may have lost, will be far out weighed by the millions we'll save from not funding another EU quango B-) ........……………... ........

"Nope no ones being made redundant unless they refuse to relocate." Redundancy is redundancy whatever the cause.

But, you're missing the main point Dave. It is the economic loss that counts, not the loss in tax. Even if the whole crew relocates, it is the fact that those 900 people presently live, and so spend their incomes, in the UK that counts. If the jobs go to the Netherlands, the incomes go with them, so the benefit from those jobs to the UK economy is lost.

As you said the other day it's like dealing with the seriously demented! But no fears......according to the PelmetPlonker there's loads of vacancies.......in Weymouth! Probably burger flippers, supermarket shelf stackers and B&B cleaners.

747 - 2019-01-27 6:19 PM

So I can take it that the Remainers are happy with the part of the statement that reads:

"Under current rules, U.K. employees of the agencies would have their contracts terminated because EU staff must be a national of a member country unless the agency employing them makes a specific exception.

To me, that sounds a bit "Third Reich" and shows how inward looking and divisive the EU has become. It also reflects their opinion of a Brexit.

Actually, I voted Leave but I am coming round to a new opinion. It may be better to forget Brexit, get our heads down and be good little Europeans and watch the EU slowly disintegrate around us. :D We could have a bit of fun by using the veto now and again. ;-)

It would help if you linked to the statement you are reading. I've looked at both the EU paper and EMA updates and there is nothing indicating that. I think you have something confused as to 'termination' etc.

Guest pelmetman

Your missing the point that the millions used to fund the EMA comes from the UK ;-) .........

So its a win win.......The 27 other EU countries get to fund the EMA........and we get to buy the drugs they've accepted B-) .........

As we've already said we'll comply with EU rules ;-) .......

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mhra-releases-response-to-consultation-on-eu-exit-no-deal-legislative-proposals

Guest pelmetman

They work in London Brian ;-) ........

So their majority foreign staff have the choice of relocating to cheaper Amsterdam with a all expenses payed package or staying in very expensive London 8-) ........

Redundancy is obviously not an issue >:-) .........

Unless or benefit system has really gone berserk ? (lol) .............

Bulletguy - 2019-01-27 6:33 PM

747 - 2019-01-27 6:19 PM

It would help if you linked to the statement you are reading. I've looked at both the EU paper and EMA updates and there is nothing indicating that. I think you have something confused as to 'termination' etc.

Post 8 on this page.

Perhaps it was your short attention span that led you to inadvertently vote Remain? It's probably an age thing. :-S

pelmetman - 2019-01-27 6:34 PM

Your missing the point that the millions used to fund the EMA comes from the UK ;-) .........

Citation, citation, citation........stop making presumptive wild guesses.

Archived