Electric Heaters

Moncayoman

Hello All !

new to this forum and motorhoming, so if a daft question please be gentle with me !

I am looking for an electric heater for the van so I can save on my gas - however, nearly bought a 2KW fan heater then 'bottled' out because I was scared of tripping the site hook up.

Any suggestions on electric heating please ?

Many thanks.

Most electrical shops stock a fairly standard convector heater which has 1 or 2 kw settings,has time switch & thermostatic so you can set it how you like. Cost about £ 25 & of coarse are silent if you dont switch the fan on.Having lived through a winter here in Lincs between houses we found just the 1kw setting more than enough to keep the M/H warm,& that wont overload any hookups as long as you dont use the kettle & microwave at the same time.I found it difficult to sleep using 1 of those fanheaters buzzing away all night. :$

If you get yourself one of the convector heaters with a built in fan and thermostat you've got the best of both worlds, you can have the fan on to heat u p the van quickly when needed and then leave it on the convector setting only so you can have it on overnight and it won't keep you awake.

Guest starspirit

Do bear in mind that a motor home is quite compact inside and a little heat can go a long way?

Unless in very cold climes I wonder whether you would need as much as 1kw on all night?

I don't know as we don't use electric hook up but I'm sure someone knows?

I've got a Halogen heater that I bought from York last year. It's got 500Watt and 1000Watt setting and is very good. It also gives out a lot of light. If it tips over it goes off imediately, so is quite good from safety aspect. Also vry cheap to buy, under a Tenner.

Guest starspirit
At least the noise is constant and you can sleep through it - unlike a diesel heater which sounds like a jet aircraft taking off when it fires up and the pump ticking can drive you nuts!

starspirit - 2007-09-27 9:49 PM

At least the noise is constant and you can sleep through it - unlike a diesel heater which sounds like a jet aircraft taking off when it fires up and the pump ticking can drive you nuts!

I'll second that.

In winter outside my house.I use a a fan heater plugged into a sepperate thermostat which I set at about 5c to stop frost. You can buy the thermostat in B&Q. You plug the stat into the socket and the heater into the stat. You could also use it on site with hook up and set stat at your prefered comfort temp and leave it on all the time.

Guest starspirit

I've had vans for over 35 years and have never put a heater inside in the winter without ever having any damp or mildew problems.

However it pays to warm the van and air the bed cushions indoors prior to use if you use it in colder times and even just prior to the next years first foray.

The main cause of mildew is poor air circulation so the fan heater does help circulate the air. Plus I like to go and have a kip in there in the afternoons sometimes in the winter when I get home from work early as it's cheaper than heating the whole house. Tight or what?

michele - 2007-09-28 11:42 PM

I think I might get us a heater then to be honest our blinds have got that mildew pattern on them.

just waiting an appointment at Brownhills.

That pattern may be a fault with the material, as there was a bad batch used by Seitz and a recall was put out. There is a lot about it on the web and forums. Have a look and also have a word with Brownhills,

Sorry Pete I did not explain properly yes have spoke with Brownhills and its the bad batch Its only 1and ahalf years old now and it happened about this time last year .

Things like this never seem to fuss us one is time with the kids the other is Brownhills I have not got the energy . :D

The other is we dont usually keep them longer than 2 years this one I think we will be keeping but what will happen to the blinds if we dont replace ? Nothing I suppose *-)

Archived