End of a Tyrant

Bulletguy

Mugabe gone.

Hopefully the country he plunged into economic ruin can recover after 37 years of dictatorship and pilfering but it will be a long road back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42071488

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/robert-mugabe-resigns-zimbabwe-step-down-military-coup-zanu-pf-impeachment-cabinet-parliament-a8067596.html

I'm won't rejoice until I see Zimbabweans being given the chance to vote in a free and fair election for the next government.. For the present we can allow ourselves a little joy in Mugabe's fall from grace. Pity he wasn't impeached. It is hard to quell a desire that he would be sent to jail and forced to suffer the same kind of torture his henchmen meted out to his opponents

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2017-11-21 11:30 PM

I'm won't rejoice until I see Zimbabweans being given the chance to vote in a free and fair election for the next government.. For the present we can allow ourselves a little joy in Mugabe's fall from grace. Pity he wasn't impeached. ***It is hard to quell a desire that he would be sent to jail and forced to suffer the same kind of torture his henchmen meted out to his opponents***

Wouldn't that be against his human rights? ;-) .......

I'm won't rejoice until I see Zimbabweans being given the chance to vote in a free and fair election for the next government..

Exactly.

Far from a desire for democracy, this seems to have come about because of Mubabe's henchmen(woman) falling out over which of them gets power after him.

It reminds me of Britain in 1997. 'Things can only get Better etc'

People celebrating because they thought they had finally got rid of Thatcherism - because they had got Blair.

Who turned out to be so close to Thatcher they finished up calling him 'Blatcher'

pelmetman - 2017-11-22 7:27 AM

I'm won't rejoice until I see Zimbabweans being given the chance to vote in a free and fair election for the next government.. For the present we can allow ourselves a little joy in Mugabe's fall from grace. Pity he wasn't impeached. ***It is hard to quell a desire that he would be sent to jail and forced to suffer the same kind of torture his henchmen meted out to his opponents***

Most certainly it would Dave. I did say it was hard to quell the desire that he would be sent to jail etc. not that it would be right.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-11-22 9:47 AM

It reminds me of Britain in 1997. 'Things can only get Better etc'

People celebrating because they thought they had finally got rid of Thatcherism - because they had got Blair.

Who turned out to be so close to Thatcher they finished up calling him 'Blatcher'

I guess much the same could be said about Corbyn.......except he'll be called Starlyn 8-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2017-11-22 10:18 AM

pelmetman - 2017-11-22 7:27 AM

Most certainly it would Dave. I did say it was hard to quell the desire that he would be sent to jail etc. not that it would be right.

I have no desire to quell it ;-) ........

It's called Karma in my world B-) .......

I'm won't rejoice until I see Zimbabweans being given the chance to vote in a free and fair election for the next government.. For the present we can allow ourselves a little joy in Mugabe's fall from grace. Pity he wasn't impeached. It is hard to quell a desire that he would be sent to jail and forced to suffer the same kind of torture his henchmen meted out to his opponents

I imagine he fell off Grace more than a few times!!

Ironically among all the other terrible things he's been responsible for, she was the one person who largely brought about his downfall as Zimbabweans hated her more than him! Once it became obvious to them what she was really after, he was doomed.

Impeachment was only minutes away so that's why he chose resignation as the easy way out. It will be interesting to see how much Mugabe and his family, including Grace, pilfered from the country which he's used as his own personal 'Bank' for 37 years. Hopefully the country can begin to rebuild.

Chris Tarrant was talking about his visit there and said it's a really beautiful country and the people were very friendly.

Bulletguy - 2017-11-22 4:16 PM

Ironically among all the other terrible things he's been responsible for, she was the one person who largely brought about his downfall as Zimbabweans hated her more than him! Once it became obvious to them what she was really after, he was doomed.

Impeachment was only minutes away so that's why he chose resignation as the easy way out. It will be interesting to see how much Mugabe and his family, including Grace, pilfered from the country which he's used as his own personal 'Bank' for 37 years. Hopefully the country can begin to rebuild.

Chris Tarrant was talking about his visit there and said it's a really beautiful country and the people were very friendly.

I believe this is a major publicity coup for Zanu-PF. Friendly soldiers and policeman on the streets until anyone tries to usurp the power? Zimbabwe remains a divided country with the Shona intent upon exerting their power over the Ndebele and other minority groups. We don’t really understand the Tribal affiliations that characterise African states. Independence has done nothing for Zimbabwe except to pit opposing tribes against each other, with the larger and cruellest holding sway.

Having spent a lot of my working life in Africa......Congo, DRC, Burundi, Ethiopia, Gabon, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Chad and a number of others I think those desirous of democracy (as we understand it) ever coming to countries such as those are going to be mightily disappointed. Corruption is rife, it is a way of life, life is cheap, law and order is almost non existent as we know it, tribal allegiances extend through all strata of national/regional administration.  For example the Chad Chief of Police has his tribal details on his business card.

Now add to that the fact that a very high number of nationals of those countries are illiterate, live in villages little changed in hundreds of years, whose votes are 'bought' with T shirts/baseball caps etc etc ( I know I delivered about 60 tons of them from Bangladesh to Brazzaville in 2002) because people are so poor they are easily bought...or indeed they are 'advised' who to vote for.

It is a forlorn hope that Africa (in the main) will ever see true democracy purely because it is poor, it's people are (in great numbers) illiterate, corruption is at the highest levels of most all nations, criminal activity is rife, rape, murder etc etc is so bad in many places one dare not venture out alone at any time or most certainly after dark.

So dream on folks if you think the ousting of Mugabe is going to bring change to Zimbabwe, change of any real value that is, because they will simply replace one corrupt regime with another.  In Africa....such is life. 

Violet1956 - 2017-11-22 8:36 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-11-22 4:16 PM

I believe this is a major publicity coup for Zanu-PF. Friendly soldiers and policeman on the streets until anyone tries to usurp the power? Zimbabwe remains a divided country with the Shona intent upon exerting their power over the Ndebele and other minority groups. We don’t really understand the Tribal affiliations that characterise African states. Independence has done nothing for Zimbabwe except to pit opposing tribes against each other, with the larger and cruellest holding sway.

For the moment all are rejoicing at Mugabes departure which i'm sure many older ones thought they'd never live to see. Let's face it the old sod was determined to remain in power until his death and seemed be going on forever! He should have left that secretary alone.....just goes to show mixing business with pleasure is never a good idea and a woman brought him down!! :D The Pussy grabber should take heed from that. ;-)

You are right about the tribal affiliations of Africa. There are many and few British understand much about them or the history. One of my cousins is well familiar with their workings etc as her and her husband spent almost 25 years living in Uganda and both their daughters were born there. They came back to UK but her eldest daughter couldn't cope with UK life and soon went back where she married and raised a family.

RogerC - 2017-11-22 9:36 PMHaving spent a lot of my working life in Africa......Congo, DRC, Burundi, Ethiopia, Gabon, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Chad and a number of others I think those desirous of democracy (as we understand it) ever coming to countries such as those are going to be mightily disappointed. Corruption is rife, it is a way of life, life is cheap, law and order is almost non existent as we know it, tribal allegiances extend through all strata of national/regional administration.  For example the Chad Chief of Police has his tribal details on his business card.

Now add to that the fact that a very high number of nationals of those countries are illiterate, live in villages little changed in hundreds of years, whose votes are 'bought' with T shirts/baseball caps etc etc ( I know I delivered about 60 tons of them from Bangladesh to Brazzaville in 2002) because people are so poor they are easily bought...or indeed they are 'advised' who to vote for.

It is a forlorn hope that Africa (in the main) will ever see true democracy purely because it is poor, it's people are (in great numbers) illiterate, corruption is at the highest levels of most all nations, criminal activity is rife, rape, murder etc etc is so bad in many places one dare not venture out alone at any time or most certainly after dark.

So dream on folks if you think the ousting of Mugabe is going to bring change to Zimbabwe, change of any real value that is, because they will simply replace one corrupt regime with another.  In Africa....such is life. 
Rings very true with me Roger. I don't have your first hand experience but I have had some knowledge of the problems in Zimbabwe gleaned at arms length. We are going to South Africa in the New Year. I had vowed not to visit Africa again after a trip to Kenya a few years back. The OH is determined to show me what he believes is one of the most wonderful parts of the planet. A beauty that is for me merely skin deep.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2017-11-22 9:46 PM
RogerC - 2017-11-22 9:36 PMHaving spent a lot of my working life in Africa......Congo, DRC, Burundi, Ethiopia, Gabon, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Chad and a number of others I think those desirous of democracy (as we understand it) ever coming to countries such as those are going to be mightily disappointed. Corruption is rife, it is a way of life, life is cheap, law and order is almost non existent as we know it, tribal allegiances extend through all strata of national/regional administration.  For example the Chad Chief of Police has his tribal details on his business card.

Rings very true with me Roger. I don't have your first hand experience but I have had some knowledge of the problems in Zimbabwe gleaned at arms length. We are going to South Africa in the New Year. I had vowed not to visit Africa again after a trip to Kenya a few years back. The OH is determined to show me what he believes is one of the most wonderful parts of the planet. A beauty that is for me merely skin deep.
South Africa 8-) ..........You're a braver woman than me Gunga Din :D .....

Well Mugabe cut himself a good deal as his retirement package. :-(

Immunity from prosecution. Good pension and even a travel allowance!! Also the family will be given protection if they stay in Zimbabwe.

Mugabe plans to write his memoirs and Grace is going to run the family dairy farms (maybe one of the bulls has been eyeing that ass up) and set up a Robert Mugabe University.

Bulletguy - 2017-11-23 10:21 PM

Well Mugabe cut himself a good deal as his retirement package. :-(

Immunity from prosecution. Good pension and even a travel allowance!! Also the family will be given protection if they stay in Zimbabwe.

Mugabe plans to write his memoirs and Grace is going to run the family dairy farms (maybe one of the bulls has been eyeing that ass up) and set up a Robert Mugabe University.

Well of course Mugabe was instrumental in getting rid of Her Majesty's Government, and Zimbabweans will always be grateful for that. Wheras Grace can't claim any such credit.

.As the Americans say 'The thing we like most about your Royal Family is they are yours and not ours (lol)

And their greatest celebration is still the anniversary of the day they got rid of them :-D

John52 - 2017-11-26 10:14 AM
Bulletguy - 2017-11-23 10:21 PMWell Mugabe cut himself a good deal as his retirement package. :-( Immunity from prosecution. Good pension and even a travel allowance!! Also the family will be given protection if they stay in Zimbabwe.Mugabe plans to write his memoirs and Grace is going to run the family dairy farms (maybe one of the bulls has been eyeing that ass up) and set up a Robert Mugabe University.
Well of course Mugabe was instrumental in getting rid of Her Majesty's Government, and Zimbabweans will always be grateful for that. Wheras Grace can't claim any such credit..As the Americans say 'The thing we like most about your Royal Family is they are yours and not ours (lol) And their greatest celebration is still the anniversary of the day they got rid of them :-D

What planet are you on?  That is complete and utter nonsense.  Although as nonsense, untruth, tangential rubbish is your stock in trade one really shouldn't be surprised if the Chartists and 'Gettes had a hand in it somewhere.

RogerC - 2017-11-26 2:15 PM

What planet are you on?  That is complete and utter nonsense.  Although as nonsense, untruth, tangential rubbish is your stock in trade one really shouldn't be surprised if the Chartists and 'Gettes had a hand in it somewhere.

If you disagree why can't you point out where and why in a civilised manner?

Instead of just abuse, insults, and silly gifs.

Imagine what the forum would be like if everyone sunk to your level.

You run to the moderators, and threaten legal action, if someone does much less to you than you do to others.

I put forward the quarellsome nature of people like you in the Establishment as a suggestion why Britain is the only country in the world to have been at war every year or over 100 years.

John52 - 2017-11-27 8:47 AM
RogerC - 2017-11-26 2:15 PMWhat planet are you on?  That is complete and utter nonsense.  Although as nonsense, untruth, tangential rubbish is your stock in trade one really shouldn't be surprised if the Chartists and 'Gettes had a hand in it somewhere.
If you disagree why can't you point out where and why in a civilised manner?Instead of just abuse, insults, and silly gifs. Imagine what the forum would be like if everyone sunk to your level.You run to the moderators, and threaten legal action, if someone does much less to you than you do to others.I put forward the quarellsome nature of people like you in the Establishment as a suggestion why Britain is the only country in the world to have been at war every year or over 100 years.

OK....Mugabe instrumental in getting rid of HMG you said. Nonsense I say...utter nonsense......however as you said he was please enlighten me

Forum to my level?  Interestingly I reckon it helps hold it above lala land which is where it would likely be if it was at your level.

So people of a quarrelsome nature take us to war?  Good job you've no influence then because you come across as the most quarrelsome/obsessive individual I have ever come across.
Oh and http://clipart-library.com/img1/1273022.gif on getting the 100 warring years in there.  I just love your predictability...https://media.giphy.com/media/MqIGvchh4Vocw/giphy.gif

Archived