Floods

JanScots

I am getting really confused. Every time I log in I am getting a new password, but at least I have been able to keep the name Jan Scots!!!

Have any of you guys been affected by the floods? Things in the East Riding, Hull and the Humber region have been really bad. We have been very lucky our house and my family are ok. But I can’t say the same about colleagues and friends who have been flooded and have lost everything. We are kept updated on our local news, but to the rest of the country it is a news item that is moving down the agenda. Things are bad. There has been a disaster fund set up, but where are the Charities when we have a disaster in this country? After saying that the volunteers that have been working their buts off as have the emergency services and the Council workers have done a great job under what was and still is very difficult circumstances. In Hull, they recon that they have been hit the hardest.

It goes a lot further than people’s houses being flooded, businesses, Hull University and many of our schools have been hit hard to name just a couple

. They are even talking of demolishing one of the schools. This has such an impact on our childrens education. Some of the schools will not reopen until the new term. What are parents supposed to do when they have to work. Unfortunatley some employers are not that simpathetic!

Think of us in this part of the UK

JanScots

Oh jan I feel so sorry for you all it does not bear thinking about it .

I don't know how we would cope the upset of seeing your house ruined .

All your posessions gone ruined it is terrible and there does not seem to be any let up with it.

I am down south to you and we have one street local that get's it badly even when it is just a bad storm they get flooded there has been up roar in the local rag as no one came to their aid from the local council .

I was driving up that street one night in a storm after shopping to see them in their wellies with sand bags and buckets sloshing it out of their homes . I felt so bad for them if the govnerment now say's that there will be a hose pipe ban I could understand why they might get heckled/should I say strung up!

I am thinking of you and so will alot of others be.

Hope the weather changes for the better ASAP the sooner the better.

take care god bless

Hi Michelle, Thank you for your kind reply. As I said, we, as in my family and our house are ok, but only just. The road to the back of us was flooded, but luckly on the other side of the road is fields so the water was able to run off, I hate to think what would have happened if it had been built up.

We had a few adventures when it hit, driving through rivers which were once streets, but the car and us survived! I was attending a training course out in one of the villages, what fun that was, we had a fire alarm and were all chucked out on the street in our work clothes for nearly an hour in driving rain. Finally somone saw sense and let us go to our cars (soaked through to our skins) and we were finally able to leave just as the river burst it banks. If we had not got out then, we would have been stuck as the village was cut off not long after!

When I go back to work, I had to take a colleague to rescue her little boy from school, wading through water, bless him he is only five and when we got him back to the car, he said 'is this what you call having an adventure!'

My husband has not been able to work as his buliding was under six feet of water and there is no power. He has been going in every day, but not been able to do much.

On a lighter note, at least if we had any lingering rats left because of the compost bin issue, I think they will be well drowned! Sorry if that upsets any of you animal lovers out there.

JanScots

Hi Jan. I know the weather has been exceptionally bad this last week or two but planners and local government must shoulder a lot of the blame. Rivers have been turned into canals with high banking to stop local flooding, but this only takes the problem downstream.

What I really can,t understand is how planning permission is allowed for housing development on recognised flood plains. I know some of these areas have not been flooded in living memory, but anyone with a ounce of sense only has to look at the lie of the land to realise and foresee future problems.

I accept that many caught up in the recent floods are just plain unlucky, but if I were to consider buying a property, then the slightest chance of flooding would have me looking elsewhere without a second thought.

Hi Jan, Yes it's very bad where we live. Flooding is still on everyones mind as we're all affected by it. Lots of upheaval for a lot of our friends at the mom.We've been helping those less fortunate than ourselves, but there is not much we can do except just get on with it. The sad thing is that some of our friends put out their ruined & soiled goods, on and woke the following day to find that things like cookers and fridges had done a moonlight walk!!

There's nothing more we can do for our friends,but wait until it all subsides, and then get back to helping them as best we can.

Thai

howie - 2007-07-04 11:13 PM Hi Jan. I know the weather has been exceptionally bad this last week or two but planners and local government must shoulder a lot of the blame. Rivers have been turned into canals with high banking to stop local flooding, but this only takes the problem downstream. What I really can,t understand is how planning permission is allowed for housing development on recognised flood plains. I know some of these areas have not been flooded in living memory, but anyone with a ounce of sense only has to look at the lie of the land to realise and foresee future problems. I accept that many caught up in the recent floods are just plain unlucky, but if I were to consider buying a property, then the slightest chance of flooding would have me looking elsewhere without a second thought.

How was building on flood plains allowed?  Well, it had a lot to do with a certain handbag, the ear of whose owner was a little closer to various builder's and housebuilder's representatives than was wise.  More homes should be built, and the planners were restricting access to all this lovely flat land because it might flood.  Ridiculous.  What is insurance for?

I agree about silly planners allowing building on flood plains - here in Bridgnorth they are again about to build retirement flats a few hundred yards from the river Severn.

All this changing of the landscape has to have an impact on where the water goes.

Apparently the fashion for hard-landscaping in gardens and paved driveways replacing front lawns is affecting absorption of rain too.

Unusually it hasn't been the Severn that has caused the problems round here because Wales hasn't had the rainfall. It has just been running off the fields and into people's houses because the ground is saturated.

Brian Kirby - 2007-07-05 1:31 PM

How was building on flood plains allowed?  Well, it had a lot to do with a certain handbag, the ear of whose owner was a little closer to various builder's and housebuilder's representatives than was wise.  More homes should be built, and the planners were restricting access to all this lovely flat land because it might flood.  Ridiculous.  What is insurance for?

Leave our Blessed Saint Magaret out of this if you don,t mind Brian. This thread is about flooding, and not a platform for you to take potshots at the most wonderfull woman Great Britain has ever produced.Insurance firms have already identified most areas prone to flooding and no doubt these latest floods have already been charted as no go areas as far as cover is concerned. This means that for many the heartbreak of seeing their homes devastated will now be compounded by a lack of adequate insurance cover. On top of this they will now be faced with the prospect of owning property that if not exactly unsellable, will now have its value greatly reduced, and even more reason that anyone thinking of buying a house should look at the possibility of flooding with greater care and diligence.

howie - 2007-07-05 6:05 PM
Brian Kirby - 2007-07-05 1:31 PM

Leave our Blessed Saint Magaret out of this if you don,t mind Brian. This thread is about flooding, and not a platform for you to take potshots at the most wonderfull woman Great Britain has ever produced. Insurance firms have already identified most areas prone to flooding and no doubt these latest floods have already been charted as no go areas as far as cover is concerned. This means that for many the heartbreak of seeing their homes devastated will now be compounded by a lack of adequate insurance cover. On top of this they will now be faced with the prospect of owning property that if not exactly unsellable, will now have its value greatly reduced, and even more reason that anyone thinking of buying a house should look at the possibility of flooding with greater care and diligence.

Well. I naturally have no desire to cause you distress, Howard, but unfortunately the lady in question is in it up to her neck - or she would be if she hadn't decided to live on high ground! 

You are right, of course, you should choose your house with an eye on the flood risk.  It's just a bit tough on those who bought before the folly of assuming floods won't happen any more became apparent, which of course is what the silly planners knew all along, and were trying to prevent.

Thank you everybody.

Here is a link to some pictures.

ttp://www.bbc.co.uk/humber/content/image_galleries/floods_250607_gallery.shtml

If it does not work go on the BBC web site and search for Humber the pictures are all there.

I was so pleased today at long last Hull and the East Riding are getting a bit of news, GMTV and the BBC.. Up until now you would think that it has been all Shefield and Doncaster.

We dont make the news in our part of the world as the pictures seeing Prince Charles visiting the places in his boat makes good news, i.e the places that are still wading in water!

It has been hell here and a lot of people are homless and could take up to a year to sort it all out.

Thank you everyone for everything you have said. And if anyone is in the profession of the media, please put forward the plight of what is going on Hull and the East Riding.

Janscots

JanScots - 2007-07-05 10:08 PM

Hi Howie

In reply to you saying about building on flood areas. Lets just say it is cheap land and Councils are under pressure to allow it!

JanScots

False economy Jan. No good sitting there thinking how much money you saved as the telly goes floating out the front door.

........... Will you stop agreeing with me Brian. Its making me nervous.

While I have every sympathy with the families affected by the floods and cannot imagine the heartbreak and sadness that they are going through, I find it difficult to understand that 25% of the homes affected do not have insurance cover.

A Lady being interviewed on TV earlier was complaining bitterly about the Government not giving financial aid even though she said that she had never considered house and contents  insurance cover and never would.

The Government has a responsibility to become involved where there is a risk of serious injury, or worse, but individuals have to take some responsibility themselves to safeguard the cost of replacing their possessions.

Archived