Gavin Williamson

Violet1956

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-05-01 6:07 PM

Well I never. The defence secretary guilty of a security leak. Flabbergasted. :-(

Well I never.......Someone who works in the legal trade assuming someones guilty before a trial.......Flabbergasted :D .......

There's not going to be a trial. According to TM the decision was made because there was compelling evidence pointing to his responsibility for the leak and his dismissal ends the matter.

I agree with Williamson that there should be a police investigation.TM should explain why there isn't going to be one. Doesn't seem right that there isn't one give that he signed the Official Secrets Act.

Bet he blabbed to Boris and it was him that leaked it. If the official secrets act has been broken is it Theresa's choice that there is no prosecution? They are not going to able to make jokes about Corbyn being a risk to the nations security anymore though are they? (lol) I bet Boris is involved if its the Telegraph though. Boris needs to be in jail anyway.

Barryd999 - 2019-05-02 11:38 AM

Bet he blabbed to Boris and it was him that leaked it. If the official secrets act has been broken is it Theresa's choice that there is no prosecution? They are not going to able to make jokes about Corbyn being a risk to the nations security anymore though are they? (lol) I bet Boris is involved if its the Telegraph though. Boris needs to be in jail anyway.

That's an interesting thought. I suppose anyone can make a complaint to the police about alleged criminal activity but a prosecution for a breach of the Official Secrets Act cannot be brought without the Attorney General's consent so there would be little point as I can't see that Geoffrey Cox would ever sanction it. I read in The Times today that no government minister has ever been prosecuted under the Official Secrets Act even though they have been found to have committed breaches. One law for them and one for the rest of us it seems.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-05-02 12:13 PM

That's an interesting thought. I suppose anyone can make a complaint to the police about alleged criminal activity but a prosecution for a breach of the Official Secrets Act cannot be brought without the Attorney General's consent so there would be little point as I can't see that Geoffrey Cox would ever sanction it. I read in The Times today that no government minister has ever been prosecuted under the Official Secrets Act even though they have been found to have committed breaches. One law for them and one for the rest of us it seems.

It appears he breached the ministerial code ;-) .......

Not the official secrets act :D .......

Mind you :$ .......back in the day........ when I was a dispatch rider for the Comcen (Communication Centre) under the rock in Gib :-S ........I may have unwittingly left a few secret documents around 8-) .........

On account of falling off my Vespa on a regular basis :-( .........

I don't claim to be an expert on what amounts to a breach of the Act I was only going on what Lord MacDonald, the old head of the CPS was quoted as saying about it. It could be both a crime and a breach of the ministerial code for all we know.

Where did you get the information it was the latter and not potentially a crime Dave?

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-05-02 3:36 PM

I don't claim to be an expert on what amounts to a breach of the Act I was only going on what Lord MacDonald, the old head of the CPS was quoted as saying about it. It could be both a crime and a breach of the ministerial code for all we know.

Where did you get the information it was the latter and not potentially a crime Dave?

"But former head of the civil service Gus O'Donnell told Today that the cabinet secretary had advised the prime minister that the leak was a breach of the ministerial code and not a breach of the Official Secrets Act, saying: "That is why it is a matter for the prime minister."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48129280

:D ........

Although that does kinda prove that May's cabinet is as wonky as a Ikea second 8-) .......

When they need to bring in redundant/retired parts to prop it up >:-) ........

Thanks for the link Dave. I still think it's a moot point whether the leak amounts to a breach of the Act having read the article in it's entirety. You will see there is reference to what amounts to a breach in the article. Still if the Prime Minister was so advised it would seem her decision was made in good faith.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-05-02 4:18 PM

Thanks for the link Dave. I still think it's a moot point whether the leak amounts to a breach of the Act having read the article in it's entirety. You will see there is reference to what amounts to a breach in the article. Still if the Prime Minister was so advised it would seem her decision was made in good faith.

So are you no longer "Flabbergasted"? ;-) ........

Just askin :D ......

Violet1956 - 2019-05-02 3:36 PM

Regarding the OSA disclosure of confidential matters is enough. Williamson denies that so actually it would be in his, and the countries, best interest for a case to be brought. Perhaps *someone* doesn't want that though, eg worth remembering Anthony Blunt was given immunity from prosecution on condition he admitted to spying for Russia. However being related to Royalty helped and all he lost was his badge of honour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Secrets_Act_1889

pelmetman - 2019-05-02 3:24 PM

Mind you :$ .......back in the day........ when I was a dispatch rider for the Comcen (Communication Centre).....

God.......how many "jobs" is this now? :-S

Violet1956 - 2019-05-02 4:36 PM

No Dave I am flabbergasted that a Minister attending a meeting of the NSC would leak information about the meeting. If it truly is just a breach of the Minsiterial code it is a most serious one.

Allegedly leak information surely

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-05-02 4:35 PM

pelmetman - 2019-05-02 3:24 PM

Mind you :$ .......back in the day........ when I was a dispatch rider for the Comcen (Communication Centre).....

God.......how many "jobs" is this now? :-S

It's hardly my fault you've had a boring life is it? *-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-05-02 4:36 PM

No Dave I am flabbergasted that a Minister attending a meeting of the NSC would leak information about the meeting. If it truly is just a breach of the Minsiterial code it is a most serious one.

The so called ministerial code has prolly been breached by ministers more often than a whores drawers.........

All it's indicative of is someone who doesn't have command of their staff :-| ........

So it's high time Klingon May retired *-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-05-02 6:30 PM

Or that she has a very poor pool of candidates to select for office Dave. Not that any other party can say they have a better pool should they be in government.

If the Tories don't put a proper Brexiteer in charge like Boris ;-) .........

Then I'm prepared to write off my 15 quid investment :-| .........and spend 25 quid on Nigel >:-) ......

Or that she has a very poor pool of candidates to select for office Dave. Not that any other party can say they have a better pool should they be in government.

10 Downing St has had a revolving door fitted since May moved in. There are that many coming and going all the time even the media have lost track of whose holding what position now.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-05-02 6:46 PM

10 Downing St has had a revolving door fitted since May moved in. There are that many coming and going all the time even the media have lost track of whose holding what position now.

May's a typical Remoaner trying to do a King Canute *-) .........

It's high time you LOSERS recognised the Brexit high tide cant be held back >:-) .......

pelmetman - 2019-05-02 7:53 PM

It's high time you LOSERS recognised the Brexit high tide cant be held back >:-) .......

Your post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Are you at the bottle again? :-|

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-05-02 8:11 PM

pelmetman - 2019-05-02 7:53 PM

Your post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Are you at the bottle again? :-|[/quote)

Google King Canute ;-) ........

Apparently much of Williamsons woes are connected with the fuss over Huawei, the Chinese tech firm responsible for the new 5G network. I'm not into smartphone tech and not particularly fussed about it though realise it's a massive market. Only Huawei, Ericsson and Nokia can build 5G and the Scandinavians is more expensive. The US haven't been able to build 5G.

UKFast CEO Lawrence Jones MBE has come out in support of the UK’s decision to work with Huawei, claiming that the US is leading the anti-Huawei charge because its previous dominance is being challenged.

"There is a great deal of fuss over Huawei and I am not sure anyone has provided any real evidence. A lot of the noise around this is coming from the US, which has previously enjoyed complete dominance in the router and networking market and sees Chinese technology as a significant threat.”

“What we do know is that the US government has the right under the CLOUD Act to access and obtain data from any US company regardless of their physical jurisdiction, yet this seems to have gone largely unnoticed in the midst of the controversy surrounding Huawei.”

Because the US couldn't/haven't been able to build 5G they've banned it after feeding the proles conspiracy theories....China will use it to spy on us etc (funny but what the hell has their NSA been doing for the past God knows how long?).

https://www.pcr-online.biz/2019/04/25/great-deal-of-fuss-but-no-real-evidence-ukfast-ceo-blasts-usas-anti-huawei-campaign/

Archived