Get Rid ...

Birdbrain

Yours is an understandable reaction given what we have been told are the serious crimes committed by these potential deportees. There is nothing wrong with deporting foreign criminals in theory but we are a country that subscribes to the principles of justice. Abandon those principles and we would become little more than a banana republic. If they have not had access to legal advice then they should be given a second chance to argue their case. Tiresome though that may be, the end we all seek is for justice to be done and to be seen to be done. Their crimes as reported are particularly heinous. Their fate is of little consequence in terms of the misery they probably visited on their victims.

Violet1956 - 2020-02-12 5:48 PM

Yours is an understandable reaction given what we have been told are the serious crimes committed by these potential deportees. There is nothing wrong with deporting foreign criminals in theory but we are a country that subscribes to the principles of justice. Abandon those principles and we would become little more than a banana republic. If they have not had access to legal advice then they should be given a second chance to argue their case. Tiresome though that may be, the end we all seek is for justice to be done and to be seen to be done. Their crimes as reported are particularly heinous. Their fate is of little consequence in terms of the misery they probably visited on their victims.

But they did have access to justice, land lines, internet.

Bobjim - 2020-02-12 7:45 PM

you may be right. However as we all know the press reports are inadequate and a riddled with whatever will serve the wants and needs of their subscribers.

Violet1956 - 2020-02-12 8:06 PM

you may be right. However as we all know the press reports are inadequate and a riddled with whatever will serve the wants and needs of their subscribers.

Apparently not.

On Monday night a court of appeal judge ordered the Home Office not to carry out the scheduled deportation amid concerns that mobile phone outages had prevented detainees from having access to legal advice. Lady Justice Simler said those detainees should not be removed unless the Home Office was satisfied they “had access to a functioning non-O2 Sim card on or before 3 February”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/11/deportation-flight-leaves-uk-for-jamaica-despite-court-ruling

Bulletguy - 2020-02-12 8:34 PM

Violet1956 - 2020-02-12 8:06 PM

Apparently not.

On Monday night a court of appeal judge ordered the Home Office not to carry out the scheduled deportation amid concerns that mobile phone outages had prevented detainees from having access to legal advice. Lady Justice Simler said those detainees should not be removed unless the Home Office was satisfied they “had access to a functioning non-O2 Sim card on or before 3 February”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/11/deportation-flight-leaves-uk-for-jamaica-despite-court-ruling

Apparently they remove those affected before the flight left.

I did say "if" they had not had access to justice. It is for the goverment to make out their case. All too often we hear cries of how wrong the courts were to make a decision against the government. Deflecting blame for incompetence is a politicians stock in trade.

I did say "if" they had not had access to justice. It is for the goverment to make out their case. All too often we hear cries of how wrong the courts were to make a decision against the government. Deflecting blame for incompetence is a politician's stock in trade.

Violet1956 - 2020-02-12 9:38 PM

I did say "if" they had not had access to justice. It is for the goverment to make out their case. All too often we hear cries of how wrong the courts were to make a decision against the government. Deflecting blame for incompetence is a politician's stock in trade.

Talking of incompetence, what seems to have got lost in the media feeding frenzy is many of these people came here as young children.

If you were brought to this country as a child with no say in the matter, have lived here all your life and would be a British citizen but for someone else’s incompetence, is shipping you off to a country in which you have never lived as an adult where you will arrive with no contacts and no means of support a proportional punishment for time already served? Some may well think ‘tough, you did a crime you get whatever’s coming’ but civilised nations haven’t operated in this manner for hundreds of years - we stopped shipping people off to Australia 150 years ago, and that’s pretty much the same as this is.

Basically, this whole debacle says a lot about us as a country we seem to have become. And most of what it says isn't good.

jumpstart - 2020-02-14 11:22 AM

I agree ,I think it’s a fair policy. Does that mean if a Jew commits a crime we can ship them off to Israel?

What a vile thing to say ... What the hell does anyones religion have to do with it ... The forums numero uno anti-Semite strikes again

jumpstart - 2020-02-14 12:47 PM

I’m merely posing a question. You seem to be fine with sending black people who immigrated to this country as a child to Jamaica.

Foreign criminals ... Why should I or anyone object to them or any others regardless of colour or religion being deported ??? ... Ive no idea if all the Jamaicans sent back are all black , I hadn't mentioned it or even thought about it but you obviously have and so I would say its you with the issue over not just religion as you previously posted but colour also ... How sad

Birdbrain - 2020-02-14 1:27 PM

I’m merely posing a question. You seem to be fine with sending black people who immigrated to this country as a child to Jamaica.

Foreign criminals ... Why should I or anyone object to them or any others regardless of colour or religion being deported ??? ... Ive no idea if all the Jamaicans sent back are all black , I hadn't mentioned it or even thought about it but you obviously have and so I would say its you with the issue over not just religion as you previously posted but colour also ... How sad

I certainly do have an issue with it, coming from a French family who immigrated to this country and a brother married to a Jamaican and who lived in Jamaica. You have no idea what colour I am,so don’t judge people when you are only guessing.

jumpstart - 2020-02-14 2:19 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-02-14 1:27 PM

I certainly do have an issue with it, coming from a French family who immigrated to this country and a brother married to a Jamaican and who lived in Jamaica. You have no idea what colour I am,so don’t judge people when you are only guessing.

All thats wonderful spin and has no relevance to your anti-Semitic post and guff about blacks ... You keep bringing up your French family but dont even understand the simplest bits of the French language ... Go back to sleep hater

Archived