Gordon Brown

michele

Well well if he does as good as he talks then maybe at long last we will have what we want.

Minimum wage is 5.52 from next week

No drugs sold to our children if people coming into the country do this then they leave they have no right to be in our country

what do you all think of that then

& thats just a few of the long list he certainly had the people clapping.

michele - 2007-09-24 3:09 PM

Well well if he does as good as he talks then maybe at long last we will have what we want.

Didn't see the speech but if that's the way he's talking it looks like we might be having an election soon then :-)

Graham

Hi,

I do hope he does what he is saying, but i think a lot of its headline grabbing same as all of the rest of them ? just as an example you mention the selling of drugs and that they will be expelled from the country, that didn't happen with the killer of the school teacher ?? so why do you believe it will happen for drug dealers ??

I really do hope he changes things but lets be serious and i am a labour supporter, but they have been in for 10years and he did have a very important position, i can't believe everything that was or wasn't done that he didn't play a big part in its decision so he needs to take some of blame, but it appears he is distancing himself from the TB years and people are falling for it ??? lets hope they have learnt but I am not going to hold my breath ??

Brian

michele - 2007-09-24 3:09 PM

Minimum wage is 5.52 from next week

No drugs sold to our children if people coming into the country do this then they leave they have no right to be in our country

what do you all think of that then

firstly he needs to abolish the human rights act and then let the punishment fit the crime and let the courts decision be final in my opinion if someone takes a life then they should be made to give a life and donate some of their organs to someone who deserves to live.

No doubt I will be blasted for my views but we are all allowed our opinions

Hi

As Chancer of Exchequer he was the servant of the PM. He must do as he is told to the best of his ability.....and I suppose he did.

I can only critcise one of his decisions so far....rescuing the Rock.....and that is only because he didn't rescue that big Life Assurance company (doh....age....I can't remember their name).

So yes, maybe we have got a good bloke in charge. Question is, should I cut of my nose to spite my face, and vote for somebody else to make up for all Labour have done in recent years? Or do I reward them by giving them my vote?

No more boom and bust! Why do they always say that when I have just gone bust?

602 (Floating Voter)

We just had a north east Labour MP on the local ITV news commenting on Brown's plans for better cleaning in hospitals.

She started out by saying it went wrong when the Tories outsourced the cleaning to private companies.

I wouldn't disagree - but if it needs action now, who the h**l hasn't done anything about it in the last 10 years?

Graham

Wingpete - 2007-09-24 5:58 PM

One piece of good cheer for me is, he is going to reinstate the Old age pensions to fit in with annual price linking, like we had years ago, pre Maggie. Might be able to pay the London congestion charges on the 'van then ! (lol)

I've been confident that something would be done about pensions for a few years now - whatever party is in power. With the number of pensioners who will be voting no party will be able to ignore their needs.

Graham

Hi,

Is he really going to do that, or is it going to be like his lowering of the basic rate of income tax, that left me paying more ?? how did that work

Wingpete - 2007-09-24 5:58 PM

One piece of good cheer for me is, he is going to reinstate the Old age pensions to fit in with annual price linking, like we had years ago, pre Maggie. Might be able to pay the London congestion charges on the 'van then ! (lol)

All parties are the same. They will promise you the earth for the one vote that counts, then ignore you completely for the next 5 years.

They're all in it for themselves and the sooner that is realised the better. SO DO YOURSELVES A FAVOUR AND VOTE FOR ME!

1. Free road tax and fuel for motorhomes

2. No VAT on motorhomes.

3. Free aires will be built in all towns.

4. Any one charging for LPG, toilet fluid and barbeques will go to jail for 5 years min.

5. Campsites will be free.

6. Ferry prices for vans will be a maximum of £5.00 return.

7. Dealers will be charged for late delivery of a van. A fee of £5,000 per week will be payable.

8. My salary as supreme leader will be at my discretion and tax free.

9. What I say goes, because I know best.

10. There will be no elections to remove the supreme leader. i.e That's Me!

VOTE FOR ME AND I'LL SET YOU FREE!!

I think Gordon Brown has an excellent record. In his speech today he highlighted the things he has been passionate about during his service as Chancellor - children, their education and improving low wages. These are issues that he has dealt with. Remember the scare stories from the Conservatives about the amount of unemployment that would happen by introducing the minimum wage? - the only thing that happened was that many poorly paid workers were lifted out of starvation wages. I run a small firm and I would have been embarrassed to have paid staff some of the hourly rates that were highlighted. The public are already warming to him and I expect him to do a good job.

Regards,

Bespokedandyred

Interesting though, all these speeches and promises, which is nothing new......except for one thing, almost all his proposals so far are virual u-turns of evrything put in by his Government over the last 10 years, and in which he was very complicit.

Woudln't trust him an inch - after all, it was he who had the most devastating effect on our pensions in the Private Sector, and intedend increading the State Pension by 75p per week.No Policitian, whether local Govenment or Central has any idea what it is to live in the REAL world! When did they last actually have to pay for the fuel they use, for example, and as for travel by public transport.....It's only those of us who are retired have actually got the time to do it, and that's only if we want to go to one place, not shops all aorund the town areas!

W3526602 - 2007-09-24 5:54 PM

Hi

As Chancer of Exchequer he was the servant of the PM. He must do as he is told to the best of his ability.....and I suppose he did.

I can only critcise one of his decisions so far....rescuing the Rock.....and that is only because he didn't rescue that big Life Assurance company (doh....age....I can't remember their name).

So yes, maybe we have got a good bloke in charge. Question is, should I cut of my nose to spite my face, and vote for somebody else to make up for all Labour have done in recent years? Or do I reward them by giving them my vote?

No more boom and bust! Why do they always say that when I have just gone bust?

602 (Floating Voter)

would i be correct in thinking gordon brown should be our servant

and not our master

£10 million fine for every promise not kept would soon sort the wheat from the chaff

I choose to believe nothing any of them say simply because they don't know what the truth is.

If I had to rely on any of the cheating two faced shysters I would shoot myself

Interesting views, particularly regarding pensions.

After ten years of Blair and the Wicked Witch, Donald Duck would be considered an acceptable replacement.

Brown seems to have started reasonably well, but let's face it, he has no opposition, "Call Me Dave" or "Sunshine" or whatever you want to call Cameron has been a disaster, but let's not forget one thing, whatever Brown achieves as PM, he will always be remembered as "The man who stole your old age pension."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/15/nbrown15.xml

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late on this but I have been out of the country.

Mimimum wage does not help people who are just starting up a business.My son & his wife have to pay nearly £6:00 per hour to a man who they employ as their tin room washer up which means that they have to pay proportionally more to their sous chef who its better skilled, in order to maintain differrentials. The concept was good but like a lot of Labour ideas poorly thought out. Small businesses with limited financial resources should have been exempt.

Secondly, the move last week to increase fuel when it is already at a high world price and the U.K. has the highest price in Europe, (we paid no more than 0:78p per liter whilst on holiday) shows what ignorance of every day affairs some people have. The Govt. say they are striving to keep inflation down when, at a stroke, (who said that?) by increasing the cost of fuel every thing will increase in cost. And do not fall for the 'green' argument as that is being used increasing by all parties as an 'excuse' to increase taxes!!

Regards, Mike.

Whilst not actually relevant to the points I want to make - I will start by saying that I was considering voting Labour at the next general election. I really had thought that they had turned a corner after the lies, the spin, the sleaze of TB's era.

But now they simply do not deserve my vote. And they will not get it.

This is why.

Brown previously: I will announce all major decisions to parliament first.

Brown at conference last week "I will take decisions in the long term interests not of this party, but of this country".

Brown then sees the opinion poll results and peronally orders his election team to wind into action over the past two weeks, as he senses short-term political advantage for his party.

Brown then caught out lying about the number of troop withdrawals that he had decided upon.

Conservatives then have an equally good, if not better, conference.

Public opinion in key marginal seats swings against Labour last week.

Brown last night, rather than announcing to Parliament on monday, hides in number 10 Downing Street, and is so rattled that he allows himself only to be interviewed by his friend and sympathiser Andrew Marr, without facing any other media or press organisations, admits he's now changed his mind: "I shall not be calling a general election now."

Mr Brown. I am reminded of that childrens chant: Liar liar, pants on fire.

You pretend (and we now know it is just a cynival pretence) to be a real statesman with gravitas, above all that party-political nonsense, with a real long term vision for the country.

The reality is, you've already now been caught out spinning statistics in order to bolster your own election hopes; you've gone back on your repeated promise to parliament and the country; and you've now demonstrated very publically that in reality you're just another short-term opportunist, with a personal lust only for your own power and control.

YOU ordered your election team to get ready in secret for your snap election - you did it in private instead of having the balls to come out and say it to the citizens of this country (who you are meant to serve - remember that? Ever?).

If the decision to call the election now was "In the best interests of the country, not of this party" 5 days ago, what's changed in the past 5 days.

Everyone knows why.

YOU have bottled out because it looks like your party would lose a lot of marginal seats.

You know what Brown? I think you'd actually have lost less face if you'd have come out, been honest just for one, and told the truth about the real reasons for your change of mind this weekend, rather than trying now to again lie your way out of the mess you've created.

I was lied to by Tony Blair, who with your personal support, then took us into an illegal war in Iraq.

I REALLY don't like being lied to by you and your entourage again and again now.

I shall vote based upon published manifesto policies at the time that you do finally run out of time and have to face the wrath of the once-more disillusioned British electorate - and whilst I have no great love for David Cameron, at least I know where I stand with him. He's not (yet) been caught out lying to us time after time whilst in Cabinet, and then as Prime Minister.

>:-(

As we have Gorden Brown on line I would like to send him a message.

Dear Mr Brown.

For the last five weeks my wife and I have been touring Europe. In that thirty five days we paid for five nights in motorhome Aires a total of 25 euros.The other thirty days we stayed also in Aires except for four nights wild.This thirty days was free, given by the village where we wanted to stay in the hope you would shop in their town,which we did. Also you were able to dump grey and black water, take on clean water for your tanks and drinking water,and in lots of places there is free electricity.

Coupled with this the French government is spending millions of pounds upgrading their town centres and road systems.I also understand that the french motorist doesnt pay road tax.Diesel is on average throughout europe one euro and five cents a litre.So Mr Brown this my question, What the F... are you doing with all the money you keep taking from us.

Mick H.

kelly58 - 2007-09-24 4:30 PM

firstly he needs to abolish the human rights act and then let the punishment fit the crime and let the courts decision be final in my opinion if someone takes a life then they should be made to give a life and donate some of their organs to someone who deserves to live.

No doubt I will be blasted for my views but we are all allowed our opinions

Why not use lifers for experiments instead of animals Mick H.

Archived