Hairdyers?

Guest starspirit

Guest starspirit

There was much discussion a while back about the lengths to which folk go to use a hair dryer.

We have a mini hair dryer thingy. It is called a 'Hair Design Elegance 300' and is a styling brush sort of thingy.

It works well and the beauty of it is that at just 300 watts a small inverter is adequate so when I get a small inverter 'er indoors' will be able to use it in the van and we can take 10 less towels with us.

Guest starspirit
No Jackie ours is black with green knobs on but if you keep it switched on too long you will have a red head - no hair just a red head.

starspirit - 2007-05-17 9:35 PM

It works well and the beauty of it is that at just 300 watts a small inverter is adequate so when I get a small inverter 'er indoors' will be able to use it in the van and we can take 10 less towels with us.

Have you tried it with an inverter yet? I ask because my daughter has a Babyliss hair straightener rated at 25w. I plugged them into my 300w Maplins inverter which was plugged into the 180w Fiat cab socket. When I turned them on it blew the cab socket fuse!!

When I got home I tested them my Lidl power meter thingy and although they run at 28w, when I switch them on they surge at 368w. My wife's straighteners rated at 170w, surge at 700w.

The hairdryer in the 'generator thread' runs at 673w but surges at 973w.

Hello all.

i got a 150w sinewave inverter for girlfriends '30w' straightners because my existing 800w quasi inverter would not power them up at all.

When that didn't work i bought a 400w sinewave inverter. Well i'll give it it's due, it tried, they got a bit warm, then it popped the fuse.

Now i've given up, if i did get an inverter big enough it would probably draw so much primary current it would melt the battery.

Yes i know, if i'd put a clamp meter on them before all this i could have saved all the bother. Anyway she's going to try her old non seramic ones this weekend... finglears crossed *-)

howie - 2007-05-22 10:32 PM

Hi Rich, and welcome. No problem drying the wifes hair. Same as Richard, she hangs it in the awning for a hour or two. :->

Rich

Also welcome from me.

Me unlike Howie, he's well bred and too nice, I just tell my Mrs. to put her head out of the window when we're moving, saves all that malarky of drying.I just say that the natural windswept look is now IN!!!

If on site, then a bit of Bruce Springstein and get her to shake her head to the music. Works everytime.!! :-) ;-)

Thai

Life's too short to use a hairdryer! I have a 'turbi-towel', you just put it on, roll it up and leave it for a few minutes, when I take it off my hair is quite dry, I can soon brush it into shape and leave it to dry naturally then after which I use some gas powered tongs/brush things.

Archived