Hear hear........

Guest pelmetman

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you hate these threads where someone posts an ambiguous title and then nothing more than a link to a newspaper?  It feels like a sneaky advert being slipped to you under false pretences.

A word of two of introduction or explanation wouldn't go amiss.

StuartO - 2017-12-08 8:49 AMDon't you hate these threads where someone posts an ambiguous title and then nothing more than a link to a newspaper?  It feels like a sneaky advert being slipped to you under false pretences.

A word of two of introduction or explanation wouldn't go amiss.

I always make a point of ignoring them.If the poster can't be bothered to tell me what it is about - I can't be bothered to click on it. ;-)

I guess its Desmond of the Daily Mail attempt to draw attention away from their Tory Governments abysmal performance over Brexit. Bury bad news etc.

I long ago gave up taking his paper seriously because it takes too long to filter out his political bias, and his exaggeration of every story to increase circulation.

He is one of the wealthiest 1% who would be worse off under a Corbyn Government.

How can anyone quote him as an impartial source of news?

John52 - 2017-12-08 10:41 AM

I guess its Desmond of the Daily Mail attempt to draw attention away from their Tory Governments abysmal performance over Brexit. Bury bad news etc.

I long ago gave up taking his paper seriously because it takes too long to filter out his political bias, and his exaggeration of every story to increase circulation.

He is one of the wealthiest 1% who would be worse off under a Corbyn Government.

Not sure what your point is other than to have another bitter dig at someone's personal wealth ... As for him being in the 1% worse off under a Corbyn government he'll be in good company with the other 99% who'll eventually find themselves worse off

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-12-08 10:41 AM

Here you go ;-) ..........

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/07/british-isis-fighters-should-be-hunted-down-and-killed-says-defence-secretary-gavin-williamson

......and for those to idle to click on a link *-) .......here's the gist.......

"Britons who have fought for Islamic State abroad should be hunted down and killed to ensure they never return to the UK, the defence secretary, Gavin Williamson, has said.

In the strongest remarks yet from a senior cabinet minister, Williamson suggested there was deliberate targeting of British jihadists by the armed forces fighting Isis as the group retreats in Syria and Iraq.

The new defence secretary told the Daily Mail: “A dead terrorist can’t cause any harm to Britain.”

“I do not believe that any terrorist, whether they come from this country or any other, should ever be allowed back into this country,” he said. “We should do everything we can do to destroy and eliminate that threat.”

antony1969 - 2017-12-08 11:02 AM

Not sure what your point is other than to have another bitter dig at someone's personal wealth .

There will always be wealthier/poorer people than me so I don't take it personally. I just point out it makes Desmond of the Mail not exactlty impartial where politics is concerned.

.. As for him being in the 1% worse off under a Corbyn government he'll be in good company with the other 99% who'll eventually find themselves worse off

So you're saying we'll be having a Corbyn Government (lol)

malc d - 2017-12-08 9:25 AM

I always make a point of ignoring them.

If the poster can't be bothered to tell me what it is about - I can't be bothered to click on it.

Me too!

Mainly because you can bet your van that it is a politically motivated link and that alone, quite apart from the bias and distortion that accompanies so much 'news', attracts the poster to post it in the first place, makes it well worth avoiding.

Tracker - 2017-12-08 11:19 AM

If the poster can't be bothered to tell me what it is about - I can't be bothered to click on it.

Me too!

Mainly because you can bet your van that it is a politically motivated link and that alone, quite apart from the bias and distortion that accompanies so much 'news', attracts the poster to post it in the first place, makes it well worth avoiding.

Just think of it as junk mail.

malc d - 2017-12-08 11:22 AM

Tracker - 2017-12-08 11:19 AM

Me too!

Just think of it as junk mail.

I do!

A bit like those who persist in reposting bits of previous postings ad nauseum - well worth ignoring!

I suspect we are all quite capable of working out the context without streams of old mutterings to plough through - unless education is so bad that the culprits need all that repeated stuff to remind themselves of what they want to say?

John52 - 2017-12-08 11:18 AM

Not sure what your point is other than to have another bitter dig at someone's personal wealth .

There will always be wealthier/poorer people than me so I don't take it personally. I just point out it makes Desmond of the Mail not exactlty impartial where politics is concerned.

.. As for him being in the 1% worse off under a Corbyn government he'll be in good company with the other 99% who'll eventually find themselves worse off

I've no idea John ... Unlike a few on here I don't have a crystal ball to rub ... Let's be honest the way the political world has gone the last few years even that nightmare scenario is possible

antony1969 - 2017-12-08 11:49 AM

John52 - 2017-12-08 11:18 AM

I've no idea John ... Unlike a few on here I don't have a crystal ball to rub ... Let's be honest the way the political world has gone the last few years even that nightmare scenario is possible

Well since Theresa May has just caved in to another blackmail demand from the DUP, rather than risk another election against Corbyn, she must think it possible too (lol)

I think you'll find the phrase is "Here here" meaning "me also". However not in my name. Extra judicial killing is still, and will always be murder. Playing to the rabid mob has always been a populist political tactic, widely used and supported by the facists amongst us.

I Dont see why this is big news. We have been killing our own citizens who go of and fight for ISIS for years. The Americans go a step further and publish their "Kill Lists". So what? If you enter the fray and go off to fight for ISIS then your fair game for drone strikes and assassination. Nothing new or outrageous there.

I dont agree with the bit about not allowing them back in the country though. Fair enough if they have duel citizenship but if they havent where are you going to send them? Its against international law anyway. Better we track them, allow them back in, turn them if you can or lock em up but keep them away from other Muslim prisoners.

Barryd999 - 2017-12-08 3:21 PMI Dont see why this is big news. We have been killing our own citizens who go of and fight for ISIS for years. The Americans go a step further and publish their "Kill Lists". So what? If you enter the fray and go off to fight for ISIS then your fair game for drone strikes and assassination. Nothing new or outrageous there.I dont agree with the bit about not allowing them back in the country though. Fair enough if they have duel citizenship but if they havent where are you going to send them? Its against international law anyway. Better we track them, allow them back in, turn them if you can or lock em up but keep them away from other Muslim prisoners.

Quite simple really.  If they have been fighting in Syria......then back there or wherever else they had gone off to and fought.

I imagine MI5 have taken Williamsons comment with a pinch of salt as Defence Secretary he should know that ex-IS fighters, and there are many, are an invaluable source of intelligence which MI5 has undoubtedly made use of.

Frontline warfare is always headline grabbing stuff and people think thats how wars are won. They aren't. That's only part of it. Without quality intelligence no force or country is going anywhere but for good reason those people always remain out of the public eye. No government or armed force get's to know the inner workings and structure of an opposing force by sheer guesswork and only a fool believes that.

Barryd999 - 2017-12-08 3:21 PM

I Dont see why this is big news. We have been killing our own citizens who go of and fight for ISIS for years. The Americans go a step further and publish their "Kill Lists". So what? If you enter the fray and go off to fight for ISIS then your fair game for drone strikes and assassination. Nothing new or outrageous there.

I dont agree with the bit about not allowing them back in the country though. Fair enough if they have duel citizenship but if they havent where are you going to send them? Its against international law anyway. Better we track them, allow them back in, turn them if you can or lock em up but keep them away from other Muslim prisoners.

Kill em for me ... Isis style ... If not send em somewhere Muslimy but not Bradford /London/Birmingham and so on and so on ... Its difficult these days not to be locked up with Muslim prisoners like you suggest Barry , given our massive Muslim prison population

antony1969 - 2017-12-08 2:52 PM

Hear hear or here here ... That Richard is the best thing you've ever said but if we think the names on here will stop then I believe your a fantasist

Thanks Antony, that's the nicest thing you have ever said as there are plenty of far worse 'ists' to be called!

I remain also a brassedoffist at all the politicalists, whingeists, moanists, unrealists, humourlessists, doomngloomists and cloudcuckoolandists that persist on here!

Bring em back Barry ... Like this fella ya mean ... https://news.sky.com/story/manchester-arena-bombers-friend-jailed-for-being-islamic-state-sniper-11161404

Tracker - 2017-12-08 2:43 PM

It's simple really, a facist, just like a racist. or any other kind of ist is anyone whose views differ from those of the accuser!

Sorry to disappoint you on your misguided opinion. The definition of Fascism is:- Any doctrine or system opposed to democracy and liberalism, I could give you a definition of democracy if it helps you.

starvin marvin - 2017-12-08 7:25 PM

Tracker - 2017-12-08 2:43 PM

It's simple really, a facist, just like a racist. or any other kind of ist is anyone whose views differ from those of the accuser!

Sorry to disappoint you on your misguided opinion. The definition of Fascism is:- Any doctrine or system opposed to democracy and liberalism, I could give you a definition of democracy if it helps you.

Yes, Tracker's definition was wrong, which I suppose is why Antony likes it so much :D

As for Fascism - a doctrine or system opposed to democracy - there is always Her Unelected Majesty the Queen & Hangers On.

antony1969 - 2017-12-08 6:28 PM

Bring em back Barry ... Like this fella ya mean ... https://news.sky.com/story/manchester-arena-bombers-friend-jailed-for-being-islamic-state-sniper-11161404

Yes. Better they are locked away here or used for intelligence if possible than just set free back in Syria

as Roger suggests. However you cannot just stick em on a plane to Syria anyway if they are British Nationals you would have to smuggle them in and why would we do that?

Archived