Help, How do we avoid Paris????!!!

vallery

We have been motorhoming now for 4 years and the last 2 yrs have driven

down to Blanes in Spain, stopping at Aires on the way, but Brenda (the other woman in the cockpit) (sat nav) decided both times that she would like to see the sights in Paris.

This year included the Arc De Triumph..., we somehow ended up on the Charles De Gaulle Freeway, last year the Eiffel Tower... via lovely cobbled back streets and pavement cafes, this is with our Laika 7RG Ecovip.

Can any one give me a route around this wonderful city?? Is there some sort of ring road?? I know we managed to escape via the periphique!!!

Hi Val

A couple of years ago we took the motorhome to PAris, staying at the Bois de Bolougne Campsite - as you may (or may not!) know this is on the western end, just by the river, and as we were travelling in from the west of France, were able to access this from an Autoroute without going anywhere near the Peripherique.......

The first afternoon we were there we had an 'orientation' walk, and, yes you've got it....we walked across the bridge over the Peripherique, and arrived at the Arc de Triomphe..... the Peripherique was full of traffic going nowhere!

However, you don't say which direction you wish to travel so as to avoid Paris, but I guess the 'inner' ring road must be the Peripherique, and I'm sure it's possible to plan a route around somewhat futher out.

Do you have Autoroute Express programme, or somehting similar, as this can plan a route for you, and then you san simply put on the map 'avoid this area'........I find it does help if you have some knowedge however, and even in teh Uk it does occasionally give some strange routes.

vallery - 2007-06-26 6:16 PM We have been motorhoming now for 4 years and the last 2 yrs have driven down to Blanes in Spain, stopping at Aires on the way, but Brenda (the other woman in the cockpit) (sat nav) decided both times that she would like to see the sights in Paris. This year included the Arc De Triumph..., we somehow ended up on the Charles De Gaulle Freeway, last year the Eiffel Tower... via lovely cobbled back streets and pavement cafes, this is with our Laika 7RG Ecovip. Can any one give me a route around this wonderful city?? Is there some sort of ring road?? I know we managed to escape via the periphique!!!

Assuming you're crossing from Dover, take the A16 to Abbeville, A28 to Rouen, Le Mans and Tours, then A10 to Bordeaux and on to Biarritz, or N143 to Chateauroux and then A20 South via Limoges to Toulouse and Perpignan. 

If you don't want to go through Rouen, leave A28 at junc 11 onto A29 towards Le Havre, leave that at Junction 9 onto N15 as far as Yvetot by-pass, where pick up D131 to the Pont de Brotonne and on to A13 near Bourg Achard where you can pick up the A28 as above heading South.

Sack Brenda and get some maps - far easier for this sort of thing!  Just get the Michelin France 1:1,000,000 scale fold out map that puts all of France onto a single sheet.  Make sure you get a 2007 edition, because a lot of road numbers have changed recently, (including possibly some of the above) and are continuing to do so.  Spread it out, stick a straight edge between where you'll start and where you want to end, and see what that gives you.  Sat nav is good as a back up to maps but it is not yet a complete substitute for them.  Route planning takes human intelligence and intuition to get the strategy right, then let the computer do the guiding!

Brian's route will do fine, but watch it when you get to Tours - it's called that for a reason! Signposting there is abysmal, I've never yet got through it without "taking the tour."

I'm sure I remember another thread about routes round Paris a while ago, in which a number of us recommended various ways of going EAST of the city. Try a search for "Paris," set to "search all forums" and "1 year." If I can find it in the meantime I'll bring it up.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

My old sat nav is great for around Paris, usually through De Gaul airport etc etc and I rely on it totally now

One of the biggest problems that I find, through doing it myself too often, is that the sat nav will say "prepare to exit right" "Exit right" but there will be another small road right that has been added or isnt included in its memory and so I have often exited right too soon, experience is making me do this less often now as I also watch the markings on the sat nav's map more carefully

Archived