Help needed suggestions plz

michele

Hi all, I,m hoping that someone will come through for us . Ok so sick of doing Mount St michel D day landings Arrowmanche's and the familiar surrounding's of point du hoc ... there is so much of France that we have not seen . The kids are fairly easy to please as they just love to get O&A.

Going next Friday the 25th returning the 1st of june ....Anyone any thing special to suggest ? anything considered .. Would be grateful. ;-)

'tis - can be a bit depressing - Menin Gate and all that.

There's a small basic site in Ypres [not tried it] a nice site Waux Hall in Mons, used to be an excellently placed aire in Brugge but I've lost track of its current state, - and if you're into canals and waterways and lifts n things - check out St Omer.

You may not get French croissants but there is Belgian chocolate and beer to make amends :D :D :D :D :D

B-)

Wonder if there is somewhere where one could join the canal Du midi in the middle and drive all the way back up to the shuttle for the week if you understand.

So say like foot down out of the shuttle travel half way to meet it then meander back for the week . I,m not even sure if this is possible without a boat. *-)

If you/they like romantic castles/stately homes, go down to the Loire valley.  Make your way to Chenonceaux; you should find a quite generous car park at the chateau that will take your van, and have an afternoon (preferably sunny), soaking up the atmosphere of the chateau and gardens.

It's magical when the sun's out, it gets away from the wartime relics, and it's a far less knocked about part of France.  Food is good and the natives generally friendly.  If that one won't do, but goodness knows why it wouldn't, there's loads more in the area!

michele - 2007-05-19 9:41 PM

Anymore Peeps with not loads of driving ? well dont mind some but have to keep it to a limit the kids get fed up quick :-(

What's Boudeaux Like ????? 8-)

A long drive I would suggest?

You could try La Rochelle - Royan - Charente Maritime. Not as touristy as Vendee imo, better weather - usually - than Brittany and Normandy. Nice stops on the way down - at Loire Atlantique - and you can always mooch along the Loire Valley.

And anyway - what's wrong with Hull - s'alright for you southern types - driving down to Dover and even Portsmouth - makes me feel quite ill - far worse than any amount of the old mal-de-mer. Much rather drive 'over there' apart from anything else I feel I'm on my jollies, NEVER get that feeling slogging down to a southern port.

So c'mon - tell us - put us out of our misery - where are you going??

[not that we would immediately programme in a route to avoid you - you understand :-> :-> :-> :-> ]

B-)

nice -

we stayed at Ancenis - nice little town - restaurant handy for site which is on the river bank, and Saumur - on the island in the river - great view !

there was also Azay le Rideau - but it was full of tourists in coaches - could hardly move for them

B-)

Michele

We are currently in Morbihan on a campsite with all facilities on the edge of a small village with local shops bar and 9 euro plat de jour restaurants. The coast with sandy beaches is less than an hours drive either north or south. La Foret de Brocilliade is home to King Arthur and his legends - vying here with Cornwall apparently. Lovely medieval market towns and genuinely friendly people.

It is 300 km from Cherbourg about 3-4 hours drive

Hope it is of interest and maybe well see you

VoH

VOH yo never know you may regret that . *-) Seriously we had the children with us so we wouldn't inflict that on anyone . we try to stay on our own or with people that dont know us :D Reason its easier to tell them to sod off ...... :D Only joking ...It sound lovely ..maybe this week that we have we might make it to Orador .have asked about it a few times and I seriously would love to go and see.

This time last year we were at La Yole in the Vendee we had the whole campsite to ourself except a few welsh whom were very friendly we had a wonderful week in the pool with the kids and we couldn't of asked for better weather.. We had a problem with having to go to La Roche sur yon for a temprature problem and we camped on the lake for the night .

The Brits back at the campsite were worried as when we went out in the morning we left everything as it was when we didn't return until the next day they were worried about us ..Well the kids anyway ;-) very kind of them . anyway he's out cleaning Bessie ready for travels so heres hoping I just dont want to keep going to the same place so much we have not seen.

Anyway you take care and look out for Bessie now you know why its called meet the Fokers I think its FN55 FOK :$

Michelle,

Two years ago went down west coast as far as the Vendee area then back up through Loire and Normandy. The area which stood out for us was La Grande Briere which is a marshland with a series of canals running through it. Good for cycling and exploring. We stayed at a municipal campsite (2 pin plugs) on the edge of St. Lyphard Campsite had an outdoor pool which was a bit chilly. Pleasant village with range of shops etc. The marshland is just north of St Nazaire with St Lyphard fairly central.

Col - 2007-05-21 9:06 PM

Michelle,

Two years ago went down west coast as far as the Vendee area then back up through Loire and Normandy. The area which stood out for us was La Grande Briere which is a marshland with a series of canals running through it. Good for cycling and exploring. We stayed at a municipal campsite (2 pin plugs) on the edge of St. Lyphard Campsite had an outdoor pool which was a bit chilly. Pleasant village with range of shops etc. The marshland is just north of St Nazaire with St Lyphard fairly central.

but remember .. if it's marshland .. it will have lots of its very own special wild wildlife - take your debugging gear >:-) :->

B-)

Brian Kirby - 2007-05-15 5:03 PM If you/they like romantic castles/stately homes, go down to the Loire valley.  Make your way to Chenonceaux;....

Agree 1 trillion percent Brian!  We visited Doue la Fontaine, next to Saumur, 3 years running with friends, and "lived" the region for a week each time.  Villages full of roses, the chateaux, cheap yet wonderful sparkling wines, troglodyte cave restaurants, markets and pink fizzy wine at 10 am.  The French in the Loire know how to live!  Some highlights...

Market day in Thouars
Catedral troglodyte restaurant in Doue la Fontaine - the home of the fouace
Rochemenier troglodyte village
Sparkling wine tasting in the Saumur wine houses
Chenonceaux
Drinking beer on the hill above Saumur, looking past the castle to city and the Loire.
The zoo at Doue la Fontaine - no kidding - one of the best I've seen.
Wine tasting all around the region, but most spectacularly, Monsieur Gazeau's "Rubis" at Domaine des Deux Arcs
Best croissants in France, imho.

Camping is available at Doue la Fontaine and Saumur, though I can't comment on the facilities having never actually used them (we have always used a friends farmhouse instead).

Archived