Here we go again.....Fishing industry now

Bulletguy

I thought one of the "benefits" Brexiters trumpeted about was all fish we would get. Turns out to be something of a wet kipper and things might not be be quite as rosy as promised.

"As a company, we export into Europe at a rate of 85-90% of what we produce here.

"We are working on a next-day delivery into France for distribution into Europe. So if we are delayed in any way in clearing customs, in effect, we are going to lose 24 hours on delivery. "We need frictionless borders. It has to be that for our industry to survive."

https://www.lbc.co.uk/hot-topics/brexit/fishing-industry-may-not-survive-a-no-deal-brexit/

So its just blue passports left then... :-|

The WFA were on about this months ago stating that in a no deal Brexit the shell fishing industry would be bust in four weeks.

Its odd though that so much emphasis was put on fishing by the Brexiteers in the past when it contributes just 0.12% of GDP and only employs 26000 people, When you compare that to other industries like Automotive that the Brexiteers are willing to chuck under the bus it pales into insignificance. To put it into perspective Tesco alone employ twenty times as many people. (Well they did) :-(

Perhaps its because it conjures up images of those dodgy foreign types coming over here and nicking our fish. *-)

I feel sorry for the Fishermen though, dont get me wrong. They fell for all the bulls**t as well. Farage pretended to fight their corner but has only attended one fisheries meeting in Brussels in the last five years.

Barryd999 - 2019-01-31 6:07 PM

I feel sorry for the Fishermen though, dont get me wrong. They fell for all the bulls**t as well. Farage pretended to fight their corner but has only attended one fisheries meeting in Brussels in the last five years.

That's average attendance for hypocrite Farage. One poster on this forum believes he's got a knighthood. Can't think what for.......'services' to the fishing industry? :-|

Hi,

The main point about the fishing industry is that if we had a deal and were IN the Exit arrangements as they stand now, then we would remain there until deal on future Fishing arrangements were agreed. Does anybody seriously think the French or Spanish for instance would readily agree to a decrease of access to our waters, I don't

cheers

derek

Archived