Highway code

howie

Its more than 45 years since I passed my driving test and have never looked at the highway code since. Given the considerable changes over the years I feel this might be considered negligent to say the least, but I feel the experience gained, together with what I consider to be good driving practiced whenever I drive is enough to ensure safe driving to both myself and other road users. Am I the only one, or do others regularly update themselves in line with new laws and legislation.

Same here when my boys 25 and 21 now were getting ready for their tests.

I do think we should be able to take a driving assessment every so often. I worked for a Johnson & Johnson company some years back and they as a matter of course put those that had company cars on a defensive driving course.

I learnt a great deal! - Far more than I ever did at the time of passing my test.

I am sure that course kept me (and my family as passengers) out of trouble.

I have not read it since I completed a Police Driving course many years ago. A better manual is I think one called Driving Standards which was also read at time of H.Code. I tend to side with Howie inasmuch as age and driving experience will keep you aware of whats happening around round and, in any case, changes in Road Traffic legislation are normally well covered by the media. You cannot, I know, be taught experience but there is no substitute for it!.

Regards MIke

Guest Tracker
howie - 2007-10-16 6:52 PM

Its more than 45 years since I passed my driving test and have never looked at the highway code since. Given the considerable changes over the years I feel this might be considered negligent to say the least, but I feel the experience gained, together with what I consider to be good driving practiced whenever I drive is enough to ensure safe driving to both myself and other road users. Am I the only one, or do others regularly update themselves in line with new laws and legislation.

'Practised' Howie old pal.

Mike Parke - 2007-10-16 7:21 PM

I have not read it since I completed a Police Driving course many years ago. A better manual is I think one called Driving Standards which was also read at time of H.Code. I tend to side with Howie inasmuch as age and driving experience will keep you aware of whats happening around round and, in any case, changes in Road Traffic legislation are normally well covered by the media. You cannot, I know, be taught experience but there is no substitute for it!.

Regards MIke

don't about the rest of you - but I know I've picked up a lot of bad habits over the years,

I also know I've narrowly missed being in some bad accidents over the years - a lot of accident free driving is down to good luck at least as much as good management.

B-)

Mike Parke - 2007-10-16 9:22 PM

Because if you are not someone will run into you!!!!!

Thats not the right answer I know but it may make someone smile!!

regards Mike

Yep made me laugh ...

Ok correct not the right answer and you sir should know :D

try again.

michele - 2007-10-16 9:17 PM

Ok see if you can all answer this one advanced driving.

I personally thought that it was silly but had to learn it .

You are driving down a one way street and everything is covered in snow

How do you know that you are going the correct way ?

By the arrows on the signs?

Guest Tracker
J9withdogs - 2007-10-16 9:28 PM

michele - 2007-10-16 9:17 PM

Ok see if you can all answer this one advanced driving.

I personally thought that it was silly but had to learn it .

You are driving down a one way street and everything is covered in snow

How do you know that you are going the correct way ?

By the arrows on the signs?

Which ones? The snow covered ones?

Or by which side of the pole the signs are bolted to which indicates which way they face which would be towards the oncoming traffic?

Rich,

i said that to my Instructor the answer was NO . Nearly

Ok before I ruin Howie thread it is the fact that all lamp post's in all street the cover's are always on the back .

So if you are going the wrong way down a street the back's will hit you first . makes sense really.

Guest Tracker

Oh really? Well the lamp posts in our road all have the covers on the front because they are sited tight against the garden walls?

And if they were covered in snow how would you see the covers?

Sounds like a smart arse instructor to me Michele, but it was a good question that had us all getting splinters scratching our heads!

michele - 2007-10-16 9:31 PM

Rich,

i said that to my Instructor the answer was NO . Nearly

Ok before I ruin Howie thread it is the fact that all lamp post's in all street the cover's are always on the back .

So if you are going the wrong way down a street the back's will hit you first . makes sense really.

thought everything was covered in snow, so how does your old instructor reckon to see the covers.

I'm in the 'cos no-one's yelling at you or running into you' camp

was going to post that but some smart devil >:-) beat me to it *-)

[hi mike :D ]

B-)

Guest Tracker
michele - 2007-10-16 9:44

Another why do the lights on a Motorway overhead Flash right to left

everyone must know this one

Don't know - I'm not allowed out after dark in case I turn back into a pumpkin - oh bu##er - too late!

Archived