How do you make Yorkshire pudding?

Ralph

What's this got to do with motorhomes? Absolutely nothing!

But it occurred to me that we have got forum members from that beautiful county (creep crawl (lol) ) who must know the secret.

Mine always end up about 1/2 inch thick and refuse to rise so what do I need to do? I even followed the advice of the saintly Deliah :-> to no avail...

Just one snag though. I'm a vegetarian so no beef dripping stuff.

So I see.

Anyway it will cost you ....

Flour salt just a pinch

1 egg

water dad use's his are the best

Mum uses milk.

The secret is getting a swimming pool of fat yes fat you are going to say oh no but in reality you pour it away at the end.

one swimming pool of fat hot hot piping hot mix the egg & flour together then add water slowly pinch of salt hey presto..

michele - 2007-09-25 5:35 PM

water dad use's his are the best

I read this line a couple of times. Is this anything like the old one about "all water in this establishment is passed by the management"? :-D

Thanks Michelle, I'll give it a go.

For ease I often just use a packet of Yorkshire Pud mix, any will do. If you want to make your own here's a good recipe:

100g (4oz) Plain flour or Self-raising if you want whoppers!

1 egg

pinch of salt and pepper

250ml (half pint) cold milk (or cold milk and cold water mix - makes them a bit crispier)

50g (2oz) fat/oil

I prefer vegetable lard to cook it in but make sure it's one that doesn't have a taste ... some are absolutely horrible!

Instructions:

- Put your oven on to 230C, 450F or gas mark 8.

- Put the fat/oil in the baking tray and place on a high shelf in the oven.

- Now prepare the batter by first mixing the flour, salt & pepper in a bowl.

- In a large jug measure out the milk or milk/water then drop in the egg and give it a good beating with a whisk (do it in a bowl if your whisk won't fit) to incorporate plenty of air into the liquid.

- Now gradually add the liquid to the flour etc and stir in until all the flour has mixed in, then add the rest of the liquid and give it a beating again - don't go too mad though or you can actually over beat and knock out the air thus undoing all the good work!

- Remove the baking tray from the oven and drop a blob of the batter into it, if it sizzles agressively immediately then it is hot enough. Spoon or poor the batter into it as quickly as you can and put it back into the oven on the high shelf.

- Bake a large single pudding for around 30 mins and smaller ones for around 15-20 mins depending on size.

Things to remember:

Air and heat are the important factors - making sure you mix it well and get plenty of air beaten into it. Also make sure that the fat/oil in the baking tray is sizzling hot when you put the batter in, then back into the oven as quick as possible letting as little heat out as possible.

Do NOT be tempted to open the door to see how they are doing as all you do is lower the temparature and it stops them rising as much - wait until the time is nearly up before peaking!

As a variation you can add some finely chopped onion, or herbs to the batter (lovely with roast beef ... sorry!), also some chedder cheese mixed in makes them very tasty. Basically experiment and see what you like and don't but don't go overboard and add too much otherwise the batter won't rise properly.

Oh - and for non-vegetarians, some chopped up cooked bacon mixed in is absolutely scrummy!!!

Don't forget you can also use it as a sweet as well, just add some sugar to the mix, depends on how sweet you like things so you may need to experiment with how much but I'd say no more than 25g (1oz). Again you can put other bits and pieces in the batter like currants, sultanas etc, cinnamon ... just experiment!

Oooooo ... I'm getting hungry ... where's me flour gone ......

:D

Find a basic receipe, instead of the half pint of milk add an egg to it (this means you will use 2 eggs in all) and top up to half pint measure. Whisk it with the milk and add to dry liquid. My sister always adds a teaspoon of cold water for some reason.

Your fat must be very hot when you put the mix in and get it back into oven as quick as you can.

Yorkshire born and bred by the way!! Wish I was still there.

Mandy

I always mix it around 2 pm and let it stand.  Then I give it another beating just before it hits the fat.  My puddings are world famous!  Well, should I say, have been eaten by many friends around the world!!!!

Interesting, a lovely little English thing!, that every mum, dad, grandma, aunt cooks the "absolute best, better than every other" pudding ;-)  I don't know anyone whose mum cooks a bad one!  Like that lovely other Englishism... "Lets have a nice cup of tea".  It would be unusual to desire any other!

colin - 2007-09-25 10:12 PM

Delia works for me

Wow! Delia's boss on the forum :-D

Well that was how I read it at first...

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have a go and report back.

By the way, it's interesting that the first reply I got was from Michelle who's from Essex, not Yorkshire

:D :D :D

No need to heat the fat / oil or tin before you put the mixture in Just well grease the tin and then liberally sprinkle pepper onto the greased tin add mixture put into hot oven and hey bingo a lovelly well raised pudding.

If all else fails buy some Aunty Bessies frozen puddings from supermarket they are really nice.

The following is the Yorkshire Pudding that the chef Brian Turner uses and they are enormous. This recipe is from his website.

Yorkshire pudding

1 large cup plain flour

a pinch of salt

1 large cup eggs

1 large cup milk and water mixed

1 tbsp malt vinegar

METHOD

For the Yorkshire pudding batter, sieve the flour and salt into a large bowl. Add the eggs and beat well with half the liquid until all the lumps have disappeared. Add the rest of the liquid and the vinegar, and allow to stand. Meanwhile, preheat the oven well to 220C/425F/Gas 7.

Put the oven up again to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Heat some of the excess dripping from the roast in a suitably-sized ovenproof pan or roasting tray. Whisk up the Yorkshire pudding batter, then pour into the tray and immediately place in the oven. Close the door quickly, and bake for 25 minutes. Turn the pan round and cook on for another 10 minutes.

This Yorkshire pudding recipe works not by weight, but by volume. Use any size of cup, but measure each ingredient with the same cup. I’m not sure why the vinegar is there, but that’s what my Gran did. It seems to work, so why change it? Yorkshire pudding is very versatile. It can be eaten by itself, with onions and gravy, or can be used in a sweet context as well – nor surprising, as the batter is virtually the same as that for popovers and pancakes. In Yorkshire we eat it with sugar and jam, and that’s after the pudding and the meat!

I must admit that when I make a batter for fish etc I do put in a very good dollop of vinegar (about 6 parts water to 1 part vinegar I recon) to make it nice and crispy so maybe putting it in the Yorkshire pudding mix has the same effect, never really though of that before! :-S

A few years ago after many years of successfully making Yorkshires my wife had a run of making puds which did not rise.

Cure! Without her knowledge I wrapped one up and took it to the Carol Service in High Wycombe Parish Church (where we were married 25 years before)

During the blessing I unwrapped the flat pudding and showed it to her. Was she furious.

Anway the next time she made them they rose and nearly touched the top of the oven.

Was this due to new flour, Aunt Bessies or Divine Intervention. She never let on!

Archived