Immigrant labour cheap as chips

Violet1956

Gosh your really desperate Veronica ... I'd imagine directly or more often than not indirectly there'll be plenty connected to The Daily Mail who are on the living wage ... Do The Daily Mail employ a cleaning company ??? ... If so they'll pay the wages won't they and decide what they pay ... Maybe you can provide a little more info

Bulletguy - 2018-03-14 6:58 PM

Oh the irony!!

That's one headline the Wail will definitely not be printing!! :-(

I don't think you'd know irony if it came up and slapped you full force in the chopper ... You've more than proved that already ... Cheeky x

antony1969 - 2018-03-14 6:57 PM

Gosh your really desperate Veronica ... I'd imagine directly or more often than not indirectly there'll be plenty connected to The Daily Mail who are on the living wage ... Do The Daily Mail employ a cleaning company ??? ... If so they'll pay the wages won't they and decide what they pay ... Maybe you can provide a little more info

All the info I have is in the link Antony. I'm not sure the DM can escape censure just by hiding behind the fact that Mitie is a contractor.

Violet1956 - 2018-03-14 7:15 PM

All the info I have is in the link Antony. I'm not sure the DM can escape censure just by hiding behind the fact that Mitie is a contractor.

Why ??? ... When my daughter was at university she worked for a cleaning company for extra money ... So are we saying that all those business premises she worked and cleaned at are at fault for paying the living or minimum wage and not the cleaning company she was employed by because if that's so we ain't half getting into a sticky situation

antony1969 - 2018-03-14 7:21 PM

Why ??? ... When my daughter was at university she worked for a cleaning company for extra money ... So are we saying that all those business premises she worked and cleaned at are at fault for paying the living or minimum wage and not the cleaning company she was employed by because if that's so we ain't half getting into a sticky situation

If the company that engaged the contractors for whom your daughter worked did not set themselves up as a champion of the people who were undercut in the labour market by foreign workers then there would be no problem.

If the company that engaged the contractors for whom your daughter worked did not set themselves up as a champion of the people who were undercut in the labour market by foreign workers then there would be no problem.

The important part is here;

We grouped together and asked to be paid the London Living Wage (LLW) of £10.20 per hour.Instead of agreeing to our request to be paid a living wage, or to sit down and talk to our union United Voices of the World, the Daily Mail sent in the manager of the contracting company MITIE who threatened to sack us all if we ever strike. That threat was in gross violation of our trade union and human rights.

ACAS will take a very dim view of that attitude and rightly so.

Violet1956 - 2018-03-14 7:38 PM

I don't think so Veronica ... If some of those companies premises she worked at were openly Tory supporting Brexit lovers then I kinda get the feeling you'd feel the same

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-03-14 6:48 PM

...and exploited by none other than the company that the Daily Mail sees fit to employ to do its dirty work

https://www.change.org/p/paul-dacre-living-wage-for-cleaners-at-the-daily-mail

>:-)

Veronica

So what's stopping them from getting a better paid job? :-| .........

Oh I forgot......everyone's a victim now days......How very Snowflake *-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-03-15 8:48 AM

...and exploited by none other than the company that the Daily Mail sees fit to employ to do its dirty work

Veronica

Oh I forgot......everyone's a victim now days......How very Snowflake *-) ..........

Seems to me you would benefit from a short lesson in economics Dave.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/14299/labour-markets/factors-that-explain-wage-inequality/

;-)

antony1969 - 2018-03-15 6:04 AM

I don't think so Veronica ... If some of those companies premises she worked at were openly Tory supporting Brexit lovers then I kinda get the feeling you'd feel the same

The problem I'm on about is hypocrisy not lunacy Antony.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-03-15 8:56 AM

pelmetman - 2018-03-15 8:48 AM

Veronica

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/14299/labour-markets/factors-that-explain-wage-inequality/

;-)

Funny it makes no mention of the affect cheap EU labour has had in suppressing UK wage growth? ;-) ......

Although he does still spout that now debunked theory that a degree will guarantee you a better paid job than a plumber (lol) ...........

"Increased returns from education. There is more demand for workers with degrees. More students wish to study for longer."

So sorry Veronica your short lesson in economics has taught me nothing :-| ......

pelmetman - 2018-03-15 9:14 AM

malc d - 2018-03-15 9:03 AM

;-)

I don't think he would Violet.

;-)

You were right ;-) ........

Spot on as per....

Violet1956 - 2018-03-15 9:06 AM

Yes Veronica I'm on about hypocrisy also but I think you've missed it ... Again

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-03-15 9:26 AM

;-)

;-)

Spot on as per....

I usually am :D .......

I even got your name right ;-) ......

antony1969 - 2018-03-15 9:26 AM

Let's see whether the problem of low pay/wage inequality goes away if/when we leave the EU. I have no faith that the powerful people pushing for Brexit have any real concern for the low paid or intend to do anything about it.

pelmetman - 2018-03-15 9:28 AM

Violet1956 - 2018-03-15 9:26 AM

;-)

;-)

Spot on as per....

I usually am :D .......

I even got your name right ;-) ......

(lol) you're on form this morning Dave I'll give you that.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-03-15 9:36 AM

antony1969 - 2018-03-15 9:26 AM

Let's see whether the problem of low pay/wage inequality goes away if/when we leave the EU. I have no faith that the powerful people pushing for Brexit have any real concern for the low paid or intend to do anything about it.

No need to do anything about it ;-) .........

It'll be a consequential benefit of restricting the flow of Labour.......

Have you never heard of supply & demand? 8-) ..........

Archived