Immigration: who should we let in?

Bulletguy

This was the subject of a Panorama screened last week. Presenter Nick Robinson took the subject out on the streets of Mansfield, Nottingham, 70% of whom voted Brexit so you'd imagine the good citizens there to have credible answers ready.

It's well worth viewing even if only for the hilariously embarrassing first 10 minutes! (lol)

Further into the programme gets interesting too. CEO of a salad bar chain tells how two years ago a job vacancy posted would get 2-300 applicants......now just 5 or 10. President of the Freight Transport Association representing truck drivers tells of a 50,000 shortfall of HGV drivers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09vfywt/panorama-immigration-who-should-we-let-in#

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to have a guess that none of the Brexiteers on here will have watched it. They never do watch anything like this about the impact of Brexit, immigrants etc. Why, I wonder when it seems to be a subject they are so involved in. Head in the sand perhaps?

Barryd999 - 2018-03-12 5:21 PM

I'm going to have a guess that none of the Brexiteers on here will have watched it. They never do watch anything like this about the impact of Brexit, immigrants etc. Why, I wonder when it seems to be a subject they are so involved in. Head in the sand perhaps?

Very much doubt any did and though they have an opportunity here......doubtful any will be brave enough. Can't imagine why not.

When shown examples of jobs and asked which workers they'd let in.....they said yes to everyone! One chap agreed unskilled would be ok, then curiously added, "but they must be monitored". :-S

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-03-12 4:37 PM

It's well worth viewing even if only for the hilariously embarrassing first 10 minutes! (lol)

Where would you chattering ar*es be without power of editing ;-) .......

Just sayin :D .......

Guest pelmetman

Further into the programme gets interesting too. CEO of a salad bar chain tells how two years ago a job vacancy posted would get 2-300 applicants......now just 5 or 10. President of the Freight Transport Association representing truck drivers tells of a 50,000 shortfall of HGV drivers.

Kinda reminds me of the good old days back in the mid 70's when you left school and could walk into a decent paid job >:-) .......

Then some dumb schmuck suggested we should join a common market *-) .......

pelmetman - 2018-03-12 7:30 PM

Where would you chattering ar*es be without power of editing ;-) .......

What are you so afraid of? View it......then you might have something constructive to add instead of making inane tweet like comments. You may even learn something too.

pelmetman - 2018-03-12 7:35 PM

Kinda reminds me of the good old days back in the mid 70's when you left school and could walk into a decent paid job >:-) .......

You voted to kick EU workers out of UK....they aren't going to do your jobs for you any longer so i'm expecting to see a mass Exodus of bone idle benefit Brits flooding back to the workbench.......but i won't hold my breath on it.

And exactly who are you going to get to do that work when you finally wake up and realise Brits won't do it? By then it will be too late as companies will close down or relocate.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-03-12 9:05 PM

You voted to kick EU workers out of UK....they aren't going to do your jobs for you any longer so i'm expecting to see a mass Exodus of bone idle benefit Brits flooding back to the workbench.......but i won't hold my breath on it.

And exactly who are you going to get to do that work when you finally wake up and realise Brits won't do it? By then it will be too late as companies will close down or relocate.

So our big business won't be able to so easily employ cheap from the EU........and perhaps our education system will wake up and change to teaching kids about having a work agenda , rather than confusing them about their gender *-) .........

Now that would be progress eh? :D .........

Guest pelmetman

What are you so afraid of? View it......then you might have something constructive to add instead of making inane tweet like comments. You may even learn something too.

What will I learn? *-) .........

Oh the Remoaner media has repackaged the same old codswallop in a even scarier propaganda program 8-) .........

Roll on March 2019 B-) ..........Then perhaps you Remoaners will shut the f*ck up >:-) ........

Although I some how doubt it (lol) ........

pelmetman - 2018-03-12 9:14 PM

So our big business won't be able to so easily employ cheap from the EU....

Watch the programme......the answers are in there.

....and perhaps our education system will wake up and change to teaching kids about having a work agenda , rather than confusing them about their gender *-) .........

That's the responsibility of parenting......not education.

pelmetman - 2018-03-12 9:22 PM

What will I learn? *-) .........

FGS quit rabbiting on and watch it!! What the hell are you so afraid of?? :-S

hi,

I do not think working in a salad bar would be considered a good job. Seems to me to come in the category students would do as and when to help them in their studies.

cheers

derek

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-03-12 10:08 PM

I'm early retired so I don't need to learn nuffink :D ..........

Hi,

I believe we need to let people in who have skills we need in the short term. I do not believe we should let purely economic migrants into the country. In my opinion a lot of this Brexit debate was fired by the fact that people could see migrants entering the country and almost immediately living off the country in the form of Benefits. Under the EU we have to give the same to EU members that we give our own, to combat this one way was to give our own less and therefore not being held to account by the EU. This is why the other countries don't get hit so hard or why people travelled a long way through other EU state to land here.

The worse position I think we have is where people who come here then bring extended families automatically to follow, who then marry and the cycle continues, some still using arranged marriages to achieve this aim.In years gone by too many British passports were handed out . I think it would be interesting to see country by country which immigrants come here and contribute or which tend to end up just living off benefits. I would be pretty sure that the Eastern Europeans would not be the largest group.At the end of the day it is the economics of immigration that worries and effects people most, so economics should play a large part of our decision.

cheers

derek

pelmetman - 2018-03-13 9:04 AM

I'm retired so I don't need to learn nuffink :D ..........

Well..why change the habit of a lifetime eh! ;-)

It is also worth remembering (re: "..could walk into any decent paid job" in the mid 70s) that you told us all not so long back that when you left school(at 16 in the mid '70s) the country was in such a state("3 day weeks") that other than the navy, your only other option was hairdressing!?! *-)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2018-03-13 9:19 AM

It is also worth remembering (re: "..could walk into any decent paid job" in the mid 70s) that you told us all not so long back that when you left school(at 16 in the mid '70s) the country was in such a state("3 day weeks") that other than the navy, your only other option was hairdressing!?! *-)

Nice to see your files on me are up to date Pepe ;-) .......

With skills like yours you could get a job with the Stasi :D ........

You forget I was officially fick coz I left school with nuffink apart from a grade 3 CSE in history *-) .......

I blame that on the truant officer who caught me, and the thicko they sat me next to in the exam room 8-) .......

But hey I haven't done to bad for a ficko........ When I semi retired at 46 and I was earning more than the average headteacher >:-) .........

Have you got all that? ;-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-03-13 9:33 AM

Nice to see your files on me are up to date Pepe ;-) .......

With skills like yours you could get a job with the Stasi :D ........

You forget I was officially fick coz I left school with nuffink apart from a grade 3 CSE in history *-) .......

I blame that on the truant officer who caught me, and the thicko they sat me next to in the exam room 8-) .......

But hey I haven't done to bad for a ficko........ When I semi retired at 46 and I was earning more than the average headteacher >:-) .........

Have you got all that? ;-) ........

You ever get the feeling your being followed ??? I do ... You'll not believe it but a member on here tracked down my home address ... Go careful out there Dave

antony1969 - 2018-03-13 9:35 AM

You ever get the feeling your being followed ???

(lol) (lol) ...and that, from the "fella" who despite supposedly having a "missus", a family, grandkid(s) etc and who supposedly has a job/business, spends vast swathes of his days/evenings/nights chasing and goading the likes of Bulletguy (of a single bloke of pensionable age) around the forum... (lol)

..."SAD" indeed. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2018-03-13 9:48 AM

(lol) (lol) ...and that, from the "fella" who despite supposedly having a "missus", a family, grandkid(s) etc and who supposedly has a job/business, spends vast swathes of his days/evenings/nights chasing and goading the likes of Bulletguy (of a single bloke of pensionable age) around the forum... (lol)

..."SAD" indeed. ;-)

Goading? :-S ..........

In Chatterbox it's called care in the community ;-) .........

pepe63 - 2018-03-13 9:48 AM

..."SAD" indeed. ;-)

Oh Pepe darling calm down ... You know we both joined the forum around the same time don't ya and ya know I've posted 2000 more times than you over those 8 years we've been members dont ya darling well that works out about 1 extra post a day than you darling so if that's me spending all my time on here then gosh guess what so do you ... You say Balletguy is a pensioner , he can't be pensioners don't call names do they ??? ... Maybe before going off in a dizzy tizzy fit next time check on your facts love xx

derek pringle - 2018-03-13 8:55 AM

hi,

I do not think working in a salad bar would be considered a good job. Seems to me to come in the category students would do as and when to help them in their studies.

cheers

derek

I'm not sure i can see anything wrong with that Derek....students or not. Either way the work is (was) there so the positions still need to be filled by people willing to work. Going from 2-300 applicants down to 5 or 10 per vacancy post Brexit tells me it's become a disastrous decision and will see many companies simply fold.....unless they take their business elsewhere, ie out of the country.

Bulletguy - 2018-03-12 10:08 PM

I'm early retired so I don't need to learn nuffink :D ..........

A course in basic English grammar and comprehension would be a start for you.

derek pringle - 2018-03-13 9:16 AM

Hi,

I believe we need to let people in who have skills we need in the short term. I do not believe we should let purely economic migrants into the country. In my opinion a lot of this Brexit debate was fired by the fact that people could see migrants entering the country and almost immediately living off the country in the form of Benefits.

Derek.......you seem an intelligent fellow so i'd urge you to watch that Panorama as it pretty much addresses all the points you've raised here. In particular listen to what the Freight Transport Association President had to say about the 50.000 shortfall of HGV drivers he's faced with and the CEO at Aston Martin who had to fight tooth and nail "jumping through hoops" to bring over a Japanese guy.

It's only 30 minutes long.

Globe trotting world traveler, bus driver, pelmet knocker up to "rock stars", banana boat sailor boy......i'm left wondering if he ever actually learned how to do any of these jobs? :-S

As for hairdresser......hmmm.....always had him down as a bit of a mincer who regularly has a good flounce so he'd have been well suited there. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-03-13 3:30 PM

Globe trotting world traveler, bus driver, pelmet knocker up to "rock stars", banana boat sailor boy......i'm left wondering if he ever actually learned how to do any of these jobs? :-S

As for hairdresser......hmmm.....always had him down as a bit of a mincer who regularly has a good flounce so he'd have been well suited there. ;-)

Only learned how to be a sailor, and a bus driver ;-) ........

I taught myself how to make Pelmets Pouffes & Money :D ........

BTW I did cut hair in the navy, I charged a can of beer, so the first 3 usually got away with a half decent haircut.......after that they were lucky to get away with their ears 8-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-03-14 9:13 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-03-13 3:30 PM

Only learned how to be a sailor, and a bus driver ;-) ........

Then do yourself a favour and watch that Panorama link. You will love it as it's from County Brexitland where you will be among like minded folks. It's not a studio audience....just Nick Robinson talking to random citizens on the streets of Nottingham.

You may even learn something.

Archived