Is there a way to work out your tolls

michele

I was wondering if anyone knows of a price list so to speak for France .

Can you pay for Tolls by Credit Card ? i have tried doing a google to seeif it is at all possible to work out the Tolls. get a bit confused with what it is they charge as they never seem to charge what they display .

They seem to have a picture at the Tolls booths of lorries Bikes Cars and Caravans but not sure what class we come in.

Regards

michele - 2007-07-22 2:46 PM

Can you pay for Tolls by Credit Card ? i have tried doing a google to seeif it is at all possible to work out the Tolls. get a bit confused with what it is they charge as they never seem to charge what they display .

They seem to have a picture at the Tolls booths of lorries Bikes Cars and Caravans but not sure what class we come in.

Regards

Michele,

If you are not sure about the lanes keep over to the right where the trucks go. You might even see some signed "Carte" so you will be OK in those with your credit card.

The ones on the left are usually for the "Electronic Tags" and the low barrier ones for cars.

If you show a "Blue Badge" you will only get charged class one. It should only be for vehicles up to 3500kg but they don't seem to bother.

If you come off at a small station there might only be two lanes, use the right hand lane this is usually wider to take the trucks.

Don

Don Madge - 2007-07-22 3:39 PM

michele - 2007-07-22 2:46 PM

Regards

Michele,

If you are not sure about the lanes keep over to the right where the trucks go. You might even see some signed "Carte" so you will be OK in those with your credit card.

The ones on the left are usually for the "Electronic Tags" and the low barrier ones for cars.

If you show a "Blue Badge" you will only get charged class one. It should only be for vehicles up to 3500kg but they don't seem to bother.

If you come off at a small station there might only be two lanes, use the right hand lane this is usually wider to take the trucks.

Don

Don thanks i have picked it up so I can see it.

Is do you know if it is possible and definately not something to be in trouble for using the lorrie lanes on approach to the Toll ?

will it be exceptable or are they likely to get the hump ?

I can not use the Blue badge as we have no children disabled on Board with us this summer hol and we are firm believers in not making a mockery of this wonderful system. Dont like the cheats

Also do you know or do you mind in petrol stations I have seen the lorrys filling up and have often seen a few campers waiting for their pump.

Is that ok is it the same diesel we were under the impression that it was different . this would be very convient as it comes out so much quicker

is this an acceptable thing for one to do?. again I do not know but wish to upset no one.

Michele

If you go onto Via Michelin site you can plot your route and it will give you distances, fuel used, time taken and tolls prices but these are for cars so add on for your motorhome about one third

Michele,

There's usually no problem using the truck lanes. If your not happy use the next couple of lanes over. There all marked, just watch out for the ones with the height barriers.

We never use the truck refueling points at the filling stations.

The guns are usually set to dispense fuel at a higher flow rate and the nozzles on the guns are usually larger. You could finish up with more fuel on the deck than in the tank.

Don

Syd thanks but I can't see it.

Don at least I now know that I am allowed and I,m not breaking any laws.

As for the truck lane at the Tolls I would like to use them but I see everyone sitting in the car lanes so feel like I am not supposed to use them . But again if there is no law against it maybe we will try . Thanks for your help

Ralph - 2007-07-22 4:46 PM

I always pay for tolls by credit card even when it's only a few euros as it's much quicker.

Don't forget that UK credit cards still don't work in filling stations though. Perhaps they never will?

Ralph,

It seems that UK credit cards are now being excepted in some automatic pumps.

Mel B got fuel from an automatic pump with a UK CC and somebody on another forum also got some, so things could be looking up.

Don

I also own up during the last holidays at half term to getting petrol with a card from a super U fill up station.

It was a sunday and it could not of been any easier especially as they fit a machine that not also talks but has pictures on a video screen of what it is you do. Very easy very impressed..

Guest caraprof
Ralph - 2007-07-22 4:46 PM I always pay for tolls by credit card even when it's only a few euros as it's much quicker. Don't forget that UK cdedit cards still don't work in filling stations though. Perhaps they never will?

My U.K. Mastercard worked perfectly in Germany, Austria and Luxembourg and last year it worked perfectly all over France.

Hi Michele

Try this

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

Personally I NEVER use my card abroad, maybe that is why I lost so much money when I was robbed eh.

There are three/four types of toll booths,

one with a yellow (I think) "t" above them avoid these like a plague

One with a height barrier, avoid these like a plague

one with a credit card sign above them, I avoid these like a plague

one with the green cross above them and maybe the sign of a man with

his hand held out for your cash, these are the ones that I use

The latter are usually to the right of the row of toll booths.

If I remember correctly tolls costs are roughly the same as the fuel costs.

Only been three times so I am still learning.

Have a nice time, hope it doesnt rain on your parade

Don Madge - 2007-07-22 4:55 PM

Ralph,

It seems that UK credit cards are now being excepted in some automatic pumps.

Don

That's very good news! I only tried it once whilst away in June. I went to LeClerc in Rennes on the basis that a big chain would be more likely to work. Put my card in and it was immediately refused. And it was a new machine with video etc. Fortunately, as it was Sunday, I was carrying my daughter's Carte Bleue so I was able to fill up anyway.

Don Madge - 2007-07-22 7:56 PM

Syd,

Why don't you use your card abroad.

Don

Hi Don

Just my personal quirk of mine I suppose. I like cash myself as it is always acceptable whereas our cards are often refused and I don't like the embarasment this causes. Plus of course I have heard loads of scare stories that vie with the gassing ones for prominence.

Not only do I not use my card abroad I don't even take any with me now

Guest caraprof

That's what they are normally, stories. You sound a bit paranoid to me, like people who won't allow direct debits from respectable companies etc.

I've been using my credit cards all over the world since credit cards were invented. I've never had any problems whatsoever because I observe a few simple rules, such as never letting it be taken away to sign.

I take cash too as a backup but cash is inherently more risky. People see you paying your bills with a wad of money and bingo, you're a target!

Lose your money or have it stolen and it's gone. Lose a credit card or have it stolen and the credit card company will pick up the bill. There's absolutely no contest and you really ought to consider coming into the 21st century!

Finally, I've used my Mastercard all over Europe, including France, without problem, including filling stations. I don't know where all these stories come from about cards being refused. It's never happened to me except once when I simply insisted that the hypermarket checkout girl wait a few seconds for the transaction to go through, instead of assuming that because it wasn't as quick as with a local card, there must be a problem. It can take a little longer with a foreign card as you might expect.

Guest caraprof
Syd - 2007-07-23 9:50 AM caraprof I agree with everything you say but that is just me.

No problem, it's a free country!

michele - 2007-07-22 8:26 PM

ralph,

i did ask the French guy what it was I should use I opened my purse and showed him an array of CCards he picked it for me hunting for the Master Card ..Hope that helps..

I wonder if that's significant as Frank also mentions Mastercard and I only have Visas. Anybody know?

Syd - 2007-07-23 9:50 AM

caraprof

I agree with everything you say but that is just me.

That's worrying. Nobody ever agrees with everything Frank says usually.

In fact he's famous for people disagreeing :-S

Well, thanks for the ViaMichelin site link Syd.

We have been planning our trip to Peschiera Del Garda for a couple of weeks now - using, Tom Tom and Autoroute. Have downloaded toll costs for all countries likely to be visited - from the AA site - but this is brilliant - even warning of proposed roadworks at the time to be travelled.

Thanks very much - from one very happy route planner. B-)

Hi catinou

Thank you, Im very pleased to be of help.

Breaking your journeys up into short lengths sometimes makes it easier if you are not intending to go by the normal direct route

Have a nice time

Archived