Jaguar Land Rover warns over 'no deal' Brexit

Bulletguy

Britain’s biggest car manufacturer, Jaguar Land Rover, has launched a blistering attack on Theresa May’s Brexit plans, saying “tens of thousands” of jobs in the car industry could be lost if the UK crashed out of the EU without a deal.

Ralf Speth, the company’s chief executive, told the prime minister that he could not say for certain that any of the automative giant’s manufacturing plants in Britain, which employ 40,000 people, could continue to operate after Brexit day.

In a stark warning to the government as it entered the final round of Brexit negotiations with Brussels, he said that friction at the border could put production in jeopardy at a cost of £60m a day.

In an ominous passage, he said that it was cheaper to make cars in Slovakia than it currently was in Britain. He added: “What decisions will we be forced to make, if Brexit means not merely that costs go up, but that we cannot physically build cars on time and on budget in the UK?”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/11/brexit-tens-of-thousands-of-jobs-at-risk-jaguar-land-rover-boss-tells-pm

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-09-11 6:12 PM

In an ominous passage, he said that it was cheaper to make cars in Slovakia than it currently was in Britain. He added: “What decisions will we be forced to make, if Brexit means not merely that costs go up, but that we cannot physically build cars on time and on budget in the UK?”

I guess that depends on whether the tariffs we charge to sell imported cars, will make it financially beneficial to build them here ;-) ............

pelmetman - 2018-09-11 6:46 PM

I guess that depends on whether the tariffs we charge to sell imported cars, will make it financially beneficial to build them here ;-) ............

So you are prepared to chuck 40,000 people on the dole through your own selfishness? Staggering...but why am i not surprised at this attitude?

Living in the Midlands, not so far from JLR at Coventry the firm is often in the news, usually telling us how they are spending multi millions building new factories to keep up with demand or spending milllions on new training facilities - all of which seems a bit odd if they are not confident in their future in the UK?

So this latest outburst sounds more like bluster aimed at getting concessions out of the UK government to me?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-09-11 7:04 PM

pelmetman - 2018-09-11 6:46 PM

So you are prepared to chuck 40,000 people on the dole through your own selfishness? Staggering...but why am i not surprised at this attitude?

Just more huffing & puffing from a foreign owned company *-) ...........

Tracker - 2018-09-11 7:29 PM

Living in the Midlands, not so far from JLR at Coventry the firm is often in the news, usually telling us how they are spending multi millions building new factories to keep up with demand or spending milllions on new training facilities - all of which seems a bit odd if they are not confident in their future in the UK?

So this latest outburst sounds more like bluster aimed at getting concessions out of the UK government to me?

From the Channel4 news item just on a few minutes ago i'd say it's more the sign of a concerned CEO who values the security and future of his workforce which relies on a seamless 'just in time' process to manufacture. Men at the top like that are quite a rarity in today's world of "i'm alright Jack".

I'm very glad to read Jaguar spent 'multi millions building new factories and facilities'. After all, this was an industry badly neglected and run down in the past through lack of investment and a demoralised skilled workforce ignored. Vehicle production facilities have changed dramatically through modernisation and a prime example of that is the McLaren plant which uses state of the art high tech machinery. Even the factory building itself is more like a hospital operating theatre.

Guest pelmetman

Seeing as our government is planning on banning both petrol & diesel cars in 2040 :-S .........

Perhaps it's time they started investing in pedal cars :D .........

Britain’s biggest car manufacturer, Jaguar Land Rover, has launched a blistering attack on Theresa May’s Brexit plans, saying “tens of thousands” of jobs in the car industry could be lost if the UK crashed out of the EU without a deal.

Ralf Speth, the company’s chief executive, told the prime minister that he could not say for certain that any of the automative giant’s manufacturing plants in Britain, which employ 40,000 people, could continue to operate after Brexit day.

In a stark warning to the government as it entered the final round of Brexit negotiations with Brussels, he said that friction at the border could put production in jeopardy at a cost of £60m a day.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/11/brexit-tens-of-thousands-of-jobs-at-risk-jaguar-land-rover-boss-tells-pm

They should have a word with our Mad Hatter.

He says we can make all the parts they need here *-)

Tracker - 2018-09-11 8:23 PM

You can thank Mr Tata for all that JLR inward investment, maybe India would be a better long term future partner for the UK than Europe?

Thousands of UK steel workers jobs saved by the bell at the last minute after Tata who were previously looking to sell off their steel plants, merged with Thyssenkrupp......it's highly successful German owned rival.

So their long term future was secured by an EU country. ;-)

Thank you Germany.

I won't say eanrs, but when Ralf Speth is paid circa £5.4 MILLION a year you would expect him to defend his position wouldn't you.

I don't see those who bitch about greed and unfairness in other walks of life saying very much, in fact less than not very much - nothing at all?

John52 - 2018-09-11 8:38 PM

Screws and nuts are his speciality. (lol)

Tracker - 2018-09-11 8:52 PM

I won't say eanrs, but when Ralf Speth is paid circa £5.4 MILLION a year you would expect him to defend his position wouldn't you.

I don't see those who bitch about greed and unfairness in other walks of life saying very much, in fact less than not very much - nothing at all?

In part that's my point about a 'CEO who values the security and future of his workforce' and 'men at the top like that are quite a rarity in today's world of "i'm alright Jack". He recognises his highly skilled workforce is key to his high salary and bonus payments.

<<< his workforce which relies on a seamless 'just in time' process to manufacture. >>>

Hi,

"Just in time" strikes me as being vunerable to Sod's Law. A decent size pile up on the motorway would be enough to throw a spanner in the works. How about a French Customs strike, or rough seas in the Channel?

I need my medicine "just in time", but the chemist seems unable to meet my needs.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-09-11 9:06 PM

Tracker - 2018-09-11 8:52 PM

In part that's my point about a 'CEO who values the security and future of his workforce' and 'men at the top like that are quite a rarity in today's world of "i'm alright Jack". He recognises his highly skilled workforce is key to his high salary and bonus payments.

"is key to his high salary and bonus payments."

So he's looking out for number one *-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-09-11 8:56 PM

John52 - 2018-09-11 8:38 PM

Screws and nuts are his speciality. (lol)

Where as Remoaners speciality is white flags >:-) ............

<<< Thousands of UK steel workers jobs saved by the bell at the last minute after Tata who were previously looking to sell off their steel plants, merged with Thyssenkrupp......it's highly successful German owned rival. So their long term future was secured by an EU country. >>>

Hi,

Were Germany feeling sorry for us? Or did they regard it as a good investment?

Rich people in China and the USA buy Range Rovers because they are quality cars made in UK. (Rich people in UK buy Range Rovers that have not passed the Quality Control for export to China)

Would those same rich people buy a Range Rover, or BMW, or Mercedes, if itt was made in Eastern Europe or beyond? Would you?

My wife is on her fourth new Korean car, Drive out the showroom, drive into the Service Bay twelve months later. They have done what it said on the time, not a single fault on any of them. I haven't even bothered lifting the bonnet on her present car, which is now three years old. But they don't have the kudos/status of the most basic mainstream motors.

Mercedes were reputed to refuse to import their 180 into UK, in the 1960s, in case they became taxis (like in Malaya) and so devalued the brand.

Nobody NEEDS a Jaguar, only a few NEED a Range Rover. They sell on snob appeal, which will be reduced by the cars not being made in UK.

602 (inverted snob ... got the ugliest wife and smelliest dog)

W3526602 - 2018-09-14 8:54 AM

<<< Thousands of UK steel workers jobs saved by the bell at the last minute after Tata who were previously looking to sell off their steel plants, merged with Thyssenkrupp......it's highly successful German owned rival. So their long term future was secured by an EU country. >>>

Hi,

Were Germany feeling sorry for us? Or did they regard it as a good investment?

Viable investment i imagine. After all they know our skilled automotive engineering workforce is on a par with theirs and unlike UK Germany has always valued it's engineering industries caring for it with pride.

Rich people in China and the USA buy Range Rovers because they are quality cars made in UK. (Rich people in UK buy Range Rovers that have not passed the Quality Control for export to China)

No idea where you sourced that from as every vehicle goes through Quality Control irrespective of export destination country. That's not to say we haven't had the odd 'rogue' car slip through as it has happened and funnily enough, with a Range Rover purchased by a very unhappy customer; https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/991872/Range-Rover-dumped-dealership-issues-defaced

But in fairness cases like that are extremely rare and imo the Dealership was totally at fault for not addressing the problem properly.

Would those same rich people buy a Range Rover, or BMW, or Mercedes, if it was made in Eastern Europe or beyond? Would you?

Yes i would....why not?

My wife is on her fourth new Korean car, Drive out the showroom, drive into the Service Bay twelve months later. They have done what it said on the time, not a single fault on any of them. I haven't even bothered lifting the bonnet on her present car, which is now three years old. But they don't have the kudos/status of the most basic mainstream motors.

Glad to hear your wife is happy with her Korean car. Initially they may have been the butt of many jokes similar to how folk used to laugh about Japanese cars. Easy to see whose had the last laugh.

Mercedes were reputed to refuse to import their 180 into UK, in the 1960s, in case they became taxis (like in Malaya) and so devalued the brand.

PMSL!! Mercs are commonplace as taxis all over Germany so i find this story very hard to swallow! (lol)

Bulletguy - 2018-09-14 12:19 PM

No idea where you sourced that from as every vehicle goes through Quality Control irrespective of export destination country.

Glad to hear your wife is happy with her Korean car. Initially they may have been the butt of many jokes similar to how folk used to laugh about Japanese cars. Easy to see whose had the last laugh.

The problem is not factory exit quality control but rather one of component durability and whilst the UK may lead the world in car design sadly the quality and durability of some components, which still appear to be built with cost in mind rather than longevity, along with dealer and manufacturer attitude, still leaves a lot to be desired when compared to Far Eastern manufacturers.

Having switched from EU sourced cars to Japanese cars after durability and dealer attitude issues over 10 years ago there is no way I intend reverting and I am probably more likely to buy a Korean car than a German one such is their attitude - so much for German engineering prowess.

The UK and the EU still have a lot to learn about the importance of customer satisfaction and that a lost customer may never return.

I bought a pocket size Hyundai i10 in a moment of madness in February when I need to change cars quickly. Its ridiculous. However I have tried desperately to break it so I can get something a bit more Rock God but it refuses to break. Everything works and feels well built and solid. You dont need to park it you can just carry it around with you.

Tracker - 2018-09-14 12:39 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-09-14 12:19 PM

No idea where you sourced that from as every vehicle goes through Quality Control irrespective of export destination country.

The problem is not factory exit quality control but rather one of component durability and whilst the UK may lead the world in car design sadly the quality and durability of some components, which still appear to be built with cost in mind rather than longevity, along with dealer and manufacturer attitude, still leaves a lot to be desired when compared to Far Eastern manufacturers.

Having switched from EU sourced cars to Japanese cars after durability and dealer attitude issues over 10 years ago there is no way I intend reverting and I am probably more likely to buy a Korean car than a German one such is their attitude - so much for German engineering prowess.

The UK and the EU still have a lot to learn about the importance of customer satisfaction and that a lost customer may never return.

Though i've never owned a Korean car personally i can't see much wrong about them and they seem well built. If it suits the owners needs, who cares what badge is on the front or what the price is? I've no idea of how much they hold value though on the used car market which is something everyone needs bear in mind when purchasing....eg for some reason Peugeot cars don't hold their value too well but the positive side being you can pick up a relatively newish one quite cheaply.

Both my son and a German friend of mine own high mileage cars....my sons diesel Audi which he's had for years has around 175k on the clock and Peters Merc, a staggering 198k though it is a 3 ltr diesel. Both look like new inside and out so i can't knock German engineering as that speaks for itself.

As for "quality and durability of some components, which still appear to be built with cost in mind rather than longevity".....it's depressing reading some of the posts on the A/S owners forum about new Kingham pvc's. Bits and pieces falling off, beds getting stuck, microwave shelves rattling loose or threatening to part company and fly across the van. All sorts of horror stories yet folk seem more concerned with how they should go about fixing the damn things. For a £50+k van the quality control there seems highly questionable!

Bulletguy - 2018-09-14 2:38 PM

As for "quality and durability of some components, which still appear to be built with cost in mind rather than longevity".....it's depressing reading some of the posts on the A/S owners forum about new Kingham pvc's. Bits and pieces falling off, beds getting stuck, microwave shelves rattling loose or threatening to part company and fly across the van. All sorts of horror stories yet folk seem more concerned with how they should go about fixing the damn things. For a £50+k van the quality control there seems highly questionable!

I agree but is that as much to do with shoddy design and assembly as defective parts, and that alone is one very good reason why we never bought and never would buy a new van!

Things certainly seem to have gone downhill at Willersey since the good old days of the caring and thorough Trevellyan family.

<<< No idea where you sourced that from as every vehicle goes through Quality Control irrespective of export destination country. >>>

Hi Bulletguy,

Let's just say I got it from the horses mouth.

On several occasions I have gone into a BMC, BLMC, Rover dealer, or what have you, ready and willing to buy a new car ... and been ignored. On one occasion, I wanted to buy a part for a Triumph 2000. Not in stock! The parts manager told me that they only kept parts for current cars, and lost interest in even those as soon as they were out of warranty..

Soon after WW2, a mechanic called my father over to look at the underside of a new car that was up on the ramp for it's first service. Writ large underneath was .... NOT FOR EXPORT..

W3526602 - 2018-09-15 7:31 PM

<<< No idea where you sourced that from as every vehicle goes through Quality Control irrespective of export destination country. >>>

Hi Bulletguy,

Let's just say I got it from the horses mouth.

Seems more like a donkey to me! Try a thoroughbred next time. (lol)

On several occasions I have gone into a BMC, BLMC, Rover dealer, or what have you, ready and willing to buy a new car ... and been ignored. On one occasion, I wanted to buy a part for a Triumph 2000. Not in stock! The parts manager told me that they only kept parts for current cars, and lost interest in even those as soon as they were out of warranty..

Shout "customer with cash here wanting new car" a bit louder next time and you'll have the bonus bells ringing in the sales department!

Dealerships carry limited supplies of parts stock as it's impossible for them to hold everything for all models. For example, all Ford parts are held in Germany purely as they have the land and facility. I ordered a pair of mudflaps for my Mk5 Transit which has long been out of production, wanted genuine Ford as non-originals though cheaper are poor quality. My local Agent had them ready for me to pick up after a couple of days.

Archived