Johnsons Smugglers Tunnel

Barryd999

You couldnt make it up.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/boris-burrow-tunnel-to-northern-ireland-expected-to-get-green-light-40088593.html

Lets dig a tunnel to Northern Ireland a thousand feet below the sea through a seabed littered with volatile WW2 munitions in order to sneak stuff into Northern Ireland! (lol)

Can someone point out to me what difference this will make to the current situation?

If there was any doubt about the madness of Johnson before then this surely confirms it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jumpstart - 2021-02-14 11:36 AM

The Scots will love the idea.

BoJo will have to give us even more of your money, or lose both Scotland and Northern Ireland from his empire.

And when your money runs out - it will be a handy link straight to the EU when Ireland unites :-D

Won't affect BoJo if your money lasts till he retires

As the Irish PM said

'Boris Johnson would set the country on fire if his hands were cold'

Barryd999 - 2021-02-14 11:31 AM

You couldn't make it up.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/boris-burrow-tunnel-to-northern-ireland-expected-to-get-green-light-40088593.html

Lets dig a tunnel to Northern Ireland a thousand feet below the sea through a seabed littered with volatile WW2 munitions in order to sneak stuff into Northern Ireland! (lol)

Can someone point out to me what difference this will make to the current situation?

If there was any doubt about the madness of Johnson before then this surely confirms it.

Oh, it'll be ready by the end of the month! No problem!! :-D

It will have to go from somewhere near Stranraer to somewhere near Larne, and between the two is granite (or similar) and not chalk, so boring with a shield won't work, and it would take a lot longer than the Channel tunnel.

Who pays for it? With such small relative traffic volumes, it would never be economical.

Then, the existing roads around Stranraer aren't suitable. The whole A75 from Carlisle to Stranraer would need upgrading, though the Belfast end doesn't look too bad.

If it is to be a rail only tunnel, then the rail lines both ends will need upgrading as well.

If that is his best offer, and I lived in Northern Ireland, I'd encourage it like stink, and once it was finished vote for Irish re-unification. Then, if I were Scots I'd vote for independence because I could then travel from Scotland direct to the rest of the EU. Mind, the English - Scottish border might be fun!

Thank you Boris, great idea - if you don't live in England or Wales! :-| Where do they get them? 8-)

Brian Kirby - 2021-02-14 12:36 PM

You couldn't make it up.

Oh, it'll be ready by the end of the month! No problem!! :-D

It will have to go from somewhere near Stranraer to somewhere near Larne, and between the two is granite (or similar) and not chalk, so boring with a shield won't work, and it would take a lot longer than the Channel tunnel.

Who pays for it? With such small relative traffic volumes, it would never be economical.

Then, the existing roads around Stranraer aren't suitable. The whole A75 from Carlisle to Stranraer would need upgrading, though the Belfast end doesn't look too bad.

If it is to be a rail only tunnel, then the rail lines both ends will need upgrading as well.

If that is his best offer, and I lived in Northern Ireland, I'd encourage it like stink, and once it was finished vote for Irish re-unification. Then, if I were Scots I'd vote for independence because I could then travel from Scotland direct to the rest of the EU. Mind, the English - Scottish border might be fun!

Thank you Boris, great idea - if you don't live in England or Wales! :-| Where do they get them? 8-)

Yes I believe the trains on either side are a different gauge not that it matters as it wont happen.

It just highlights what a Trumponian loon we have running the country but I still fail to see how he thinks this will improve the situation which is of his own making of course having promised the people of NI there would be no checks and also stated that no Prime Minister would ever allow a border down the Irish Sea before going ahead and creating exactly that. How can anyone sane not see what a moron he is?

A road bridge would probably be cheaper, though I suspect still uneconomical, and would also have to be heavily state underwritten. But the uncertainties over Irish reunification and Scottish independence would surely rule out the provision of any state finance, especially post-Covid?

The engineering studies alone will undoubtedly be expensive.

Trees? Yes, loads, as greenwash!

I think this is in the same category as the famous Thames estuary airport and the Garden Bridge. Sheer pie in the sky, to deflect attention from other, more important, issues.

Brian Kirby - 2021-02-14 1:01 PM

But the uncertainties over Irish reunification and Scottish independence would surely rule out the provision of any state finance, especially post-Covid?

I was thinking the opposite

Try and see it from BoJo's point of view.

It won't be built till BoJo retires, keep his empire together at your expense till then, after which he won't be bothered if the union breaks up.

Probably be Labour in charge so he can blame them.

The problem is of course that when that tunnel is finished (a couple of decades from now, IF it is feasible), it'll connect a united Ireland with an independent Scotland.

Not to mention the fact that a tunnel solves nothing of the problem. It'll just replace already existing ferry links, but not do anything about the red tape that is preventing freight from getting on the ferries. Customs points will still be needed at the Border to the EU - the Irish Sea.

A cynic would suggest that the announcement is merely put forward as a distraction and to move the Brexit disaster stories and the unnecessary deaths of 117,000 people off the front page.

Guest pelmetman

Yeah......we can take the loans out in their name >:-) .........

You couldn't make it up.

Build a Brexit wall and issue passes to Scot/NI residents and English rejoiners only. ;-)

pelmetman - 2021-02-14 3:33 PM

Yeah......we can take the loans out in their name >:-) .........

How can you do that when we are still part ofthe UK

Which we will be till the tunnel is built with your money

Best idea BoJo has had

He gets what he wants :-S

- control of the empire till he retires

and with the £billons of your money he is giving us we can put up with that till

We get what we want :-D

- road to united Ireland then ferry to the EU

with your industries relocated here

WIN/WIN for Scotland/Ireland :-D

And you LOSERS get the bill :D

again :D

perhaps BoJo isn't so bad after all :D

jumpstart - 2021-02-14 4:36 PM

If it’s a Scottish Road they will have to engineer the potholes and make it single track .

At least the Scots are smart enough to have put passing zones everywhere.

In England (e.g. Cornwall) not even those.

Could this be the reason why the best-selling motorhome accessory are mirror guards ?

Max

mtravel - 2021-02-14 4:07 PM

If it’s a Scottish Road they will have to engineer the potholes and make it single track .

Could this be the reason why the best-selling motorhome accessory are mirror guards ?

Max

Built by the Romans.

Bulletguy - 2021-02-14 3:42 PM

You couldn't make it up.

Build a Brexit wall and issue passes to Scot/NI residents and English rejoiners only. ;-)

..... and charge Brexiteer LOSERS like Pelmet a toll to use the roads and tunnel they paid for :D

jumpstart - 2021-02-14 4:37 PM

Max

Built by the Romans.

Built with LOSER pelmet's money more like :D

Romans never got into Scotland

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2021-02-14 7:57 PM

Max

Built by the Romans.

Romans like English businesses aint daft >:-) .........

(lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

Max

Built by the Romans.

Yes ,it was a joke, as you know ,like the roads , worse than some of the dirt tracks in New Zealand.

jumpstart - 2021-02-14 8:21 PM

Max

Built by the Romans.

Yes ,it was a joke, as you know ,like the roads , worse than some of the dirt tracks in New Zealand.

I can't speak for NZ but i've driven some very remote roads in Scotland such as the B871 south of Invernaver and the B887 to Hushinish on the outer Hebrides, both excellently maintained with good surface.

Archived