MMM Magazine

michele

Having let ours lapse and just picking it up in the shops.

I signed up for another year at the show.

What I want to ask is why have we not had Octobers through the post ?

Did I get it free on the day at the show I cannoy for the life lay my hands on it . If I didn't get it then why has it not come through the door.

Hello Michele,

The October issue was the one they had on (early) sale at York so if you were given a magazine when you subscribed I guess that would be the one.

Otherwise, as Howie says, probably a victim of the postal strike - we are still waiting for our latest CC magazine, which we would normally have received by now.

Graham

howie - 2007-10-08 11:36 AM

My son works on the post and tells me there will be such a backlog that it might take up until the weekend before normal deliveries are resumed.

Normal deliveries? Does that mean Royal Mail management have changed their tack and admitted that they have a service to provide instead of running it down then? :D

Graham

howie - 2007-10-08 11:48 AM

Fair enough Graham and at least a third of the deliveries are junk mail . Profit before service once again.

I just find it wrong that the people in charge of RM are given massive bonuses for making profits even though they consistently miss delivery targets and introduce cuts which make it difficult for those with no alternative to access services.

Graham

michele - 2007-10-08 2:15 PM

North East yer on North west wheres that ?.

Well, if you look at a map of England, the North East (where I live now) is undeniably on the Right side of the Pennines. The North West (where I was born), however, is on the Correct side of the Pennines :D

Graham

michele - 2007-10-08 3:23 PM

Where I come from Graham the north east is Newcastle now what I want to know is where is the north west from there :D Seahouses?

Don't worry Michele. I won't tell anyone you're from Newcastle. I'm sure it wasn't your fault really :D (lol) :D

Graham

My son works on the post and tells me there will be such a backlog that it might take up until the weekend before normal deliveries are resumed.

Howie, is that before or after the next strike then???? I bet they don't get this lot sorted out before they start the next one!!! ;-)

What I can't understand is that we are still getting post delivered at home! I thought it would all stop ... so who's delivering it ... 8-)

Mel B - 2007-10-08 10:46 PM

Howie, is that before or after the next strike then???? I bet they don't get this lot sorted out before they start the next one!!! ;-)

What I can't understand is that we are still getting post delivered at home! I thought it would all stop ... so who's delivering it ... 8-)

C,mon Mel, they are entitled to strike for a better deal just like everyone else. Money is not the only issue here as they are getting a raw deal with their pension contributions as well, and of course there,s the planned closure of more post offices which affect so many people to be considered.

howie - 2007-10-08 11:31 PM

C,mon Mel, they are entitled to strike for a better deal just like everyone else. Money is not the only issue here as they are getting a raw deal with their pension contributions as well, and of course there,s the planned closure of more post offices which affect so many people to be considered.

Howie, I never said they weren't entitled to strike, so don't know where you got that from chuck! :-S I am supportive of people who are trying to make sure they are dealt with fairly, and they have obviously only taken this action as a last resort, at the end of the day, they are the ones who are actually loosing pay because of it so they really have put their 'money' where their mouths are, I'd never dream of knocking them for that. It can't be easy for them and I appreciate their feeling they need to do this. I really hope they do manage to get a fair deal out of it. I just thought when they went on strike that all post deliveries would stop, so who IS doing it when they are 'out'? :-|

Mel B

Mel B - 2007-10-09 8:00 PM

I just thought when they went on strike that all post deliveries would stop, so who IS doing it when they are 'out'? :-|

Mel B

As with any strike there will be some people (possibly not in the union) who don't support it. Also, some unions these days exempt their members who are coming up to retirement from striking as it might adversely affect the pension they are close to collecting.

Graham

Mel B - 2007-10-08 10:46 PM

No you never said they were not entitled to strike Mel, but as you seemed to imply they were forever on strike I was only making the point that as with any other workforce they had every right to withdraw their labour when all other attempts to solve their grievances had met with failure.

Er, excuse me Howie, don't you go reading between the lines, there's enough people on here that do that already. Didn't you see the 'wink'????

;-)

To be logical though, it is quite likely that the amount of post that has been waiting to be collected, sorted, delivered etc, will take some time to be dealt with, therefore, as they seem to be having strikes quite often, it is odds on that the very large backlog wouldn't be sorted before they were on strike again. Surely the idea of striking is to cause disruption in order to get their very valid points across? As such, the more often they are the more impact they have. :-S

For the other people who are affected, like businesses, private individuals etc, who are also suffering by the strikes, but especially for their sakes, also I hope they get an acceptable resolution soon. 8-)

Last time we had post was a week back Monday. 9 days ago.

I feel sorry for postal workers but in reality its time they got the message and moved on. Business doesn,t (in the main) rely on them any more, its all electronic instant mail like this email thingey. That,s why the post office was split off from the telecom side a few years back so that eventually the post office could be dumped without compromising the technology based telecom side.

The outcome will eventually I am sure mean that sending letters and parcels must become more expensive, like double what it costs now could be argued to be right. But the size of the operation needed to provide this service doesn,t need all the workforce that the PO have now. Sad but true.

C.

Mel B - 2007-10-10 9:16 PM

Er, excuse me Howie, don't you go reading between the lines, there's enough people on here that do that already. Didn't you see the 'wink'????

;-)

To be logical though, it is quite likely that the amount of post that has been waiting to be collected, sorted, delivered etc, will take some time to be dealt with, therefore, as they seem to be having strikes quite often, it is odds on that the very large backlog wouldn't be sorted before they were on strike again. Surely the idea of striking is to cause disruption in order to get their very valid points across? As such, the more often they are the more impact they have. :-S

For the other people who are affected, like businesses, private individuals etc, who are also suffering by the strikes, but especially for their sakes, also I hope they get an acceptable resolution soon. 8-)

Find it impossible to argue with you Melanie. Its that old soft spot again. Should imagine a lot of businesses use private delivery firms and couriers but a pity others have to suffer before this can be sorted out.

Archived