Manchester Royal Infirmary

Randonneur

We were so annoyed at this story and had to share, its unbelievable.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4852066/Traveller-family-set-home-grounds-hospital.html

If we were to do this in our van we would get it towed away, this was also a disabled parking spot, we go there quite regularly but if we wanted to stay we would have to find a proper place to camp, how can they get away with this.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As most of us have fixed homes to go to I am not persuaded that the travellers have not been afforded what should be a short term solution to what must be the most exceptional compassionate circumstances. If they have taken up too much space to the detriment of other patients and their families I would ask why the hospital has not liaised with the local authority to find a temporary site for them to use whilst their relative is in such a critical condition.

And if the travellers have taken up parking spaces for the disabled it should not be beyond the wit of man for other spaces to be made available for those of limited mobility until a workable solution has been found that can accommodate the needs of all users of the hospital.

Veronica

I was searching for the fleet of £50k caravans, Audi and Beemer 4x4's, but all i could spot was a couple of old Tranny vans.........then i saw it was a Daily Fail link! (lol)

Fwiw when a friend of mine was ill in Christies Hospital at Manchester, they not only offered his wife unlimited parking but also a free bed!

The bleeding heart brigade will make all types of excuses but I would imagine the hospital as with our Police force dare not be too forceful with them as they'd then be seen to be picking on the poor darlings ... Tow truck should have been called and shifted the smelly , vile things ... If they can afford a motor and tax and fuel then they can afford a campsite can't they ... Scumbags

antony1969 - 2017-09-06 6:28 AM

. Tow truck should have been called and shifted the smelly , vile things

Well you aren't biased or anything are you *-) so how do you know they are smelly?

Where should they have been towed to? *-)

Bear in mind if they have women and kids the council tows ghem away they will have a legal obligatiopn to re-house them - you'd like to pay for that wouldn't you *-)

... If they can afford a motor and tax and fuel then they can afford a campsite can't they ... Scumbags

Not necessarily - and if their vehicles are registered as goods vehicles they probably can't legally park on campsites either due to our wonderful planning permission laws *-)

John52 - 2017-09-06 7:40 AM

. Tow truck should have been called and shifted the smelly , vile things

Well you aren't biased or anything are you *-) so how do you know they are smelly?

Where should they have been towed to? *-)

Bear in mind if they have women and kids the council tows ghem away they will have a legal obligatiopn to re-house them - you'd like to pay for that wouldn't you *-)

... If they can afford a motor and tax and fuel then they can afford a campsite can't they ... Scumbags

Not necessarily - and if their vehicles are registered as goods vehicles they probably can't legally park on campsites either due to our wonderful planning permission laws *-)

Experience tells me they are smelly , vile folk thanks ... I dont care where they tow them as Im sure those at the hospital who have to clean up after them dont either ... Laws are for us all to abide by not just a selective few

antony1969 - 2017-09-06 7:55 AM

I dont care where they tow them as Im sure those at the hospital who have to clean up after them dont either ... Laws are for us all to abide by not just a selective few

If laws are for us all to abide by you would have to tow them somewhere they can legally stay

(we would also have a legal responsibility to rehouse their women and children)

John52 - 2017-09-06 8:01 AM

antony1969 - 2017-09-06 7:55 AM

I dont care where they tow them as Im sure those at the hospital who have to clean up after them dont either ... Laws are for us all to abide by not just a selective few

If laws are for us all to abide by you would have to tow them somewhere they can legally stay

(we would also have a legal responsibility to rehouse their women and children)

To stay , somewhere that will accomodate them ? ... No you wouldnt you would tow them off hospital property and on to the nearest public highway if the vehicle is legal ... Plenty of sites take folk with vans like that and work vans , I should know the farmers site behind our house at Elland did for the 12 years we lived there ... Another site 5 minutes from me now in Marsden does the same ... The filthy vile things like the rest of the travellers dont want to pay though do they ?

Whatever ones outlook on life....liberal, luvvy, to the right of Genghis Khan etc etc this is simply wrong.  Any law abiding individual would have had the full force of the authorities down on them to move, been ticketed, clamped, towed etc etc.  This appears to be just another example of weak willed, over accommodating management which is unfortunately all to prevalent in society today.

John52 - 2017-09-06 3:22 PM

antony1969 - 2017-09-06 9:57 AM

... No you wouldnt you would tow them off hospital property and on to the nearest public highway if the vehicle is legal .

Abide by the law for christ sake ... What a daft question

So they set up camp there . Then what do you do

RogerC - 2017-09-06 4:20 PM

Any law abiding individual would have had the full force of the authorities down on them to move, been ticketed, clamped, towed etc etc.  

Run that one by me again Roger *-)

Why would they be ticketed clamped or towed if they are law abiding?

antony1969 - 2017-09-06 4:36 PM

... No you wouldnt you would tow them off hospital property and on to the nearest public highway if the vehicle is legal .

Abide by which law *-)

The law that says you can't tow their vehicle when they are in it?

The law that says you have to rehouse women and children if you make them homeless?

Whats the point of ticketing them when they have no money you can get your hands on when they don't pay?

Whats the point of clamping them when you are trying to get them to move?

John52 - 2017-09-06 5:26 PM

antony1969 - 2017-09-06 4:36 PM

Abide by which law *-)

The law that says you can't tow their vehicle when they are in it?

The law that says you have to rehouse women and children if you make them homeless?

Whats the point of ticketing them when they have no money you can get your hands on when they don't pay?

Whats the point of clamping them when you are trying to get them to move?

What the hell your on about I don't know ... Who's making them homeless because you've moved them from illegally parking and who says they have no money ? ... If your so bothered to house them get in touch with The Mail for their details and put your money where your keyboard warrior finger is ... Who mentioned clamping em ? ...

We can always find ways to be angry about what we perceive to be the preferential treatment doled out to the undeserving. Perhaps we should reflect on what motivates the DM to give us articles on such subjects. In my heart I feel that they are seeking to distract us from very real inequalities that exist in our society. Their aim is to blame everyone except those that have the most money and power for the unfairness and inequality that exists in our society. The charges for parking at this hospital are the real disgrace not these people who are having to cope both practically and emotionally with the consequences of the very frightening life and death situation of a family member.

Veronica

Violet1956 - 2017-09-06 6:39 PM

We can always find ways to be angry about what we perceive to be the preferential treatment doled out to the undeserving. Perhaps we should reflect on what motivates the DM to give us articles on such subjects. In my heart I feel that they are seeking to distract us from very real inequalities that exist in our society. Their aim is to blame everyone except those that have the most money and power for the unfairness and inequality that exists in our society. The charges for parking at this hospital are the real disgrace not these people who are having to cope both practically and emotionally with the consequences of the very frightening life and death situation of a family member.

Veronica

Very true.

Same Old Tories - Divide and Rule..

In fairness to the hospital though - Government policy has made car parking so scarce and expensive they may need to put charges/restrictions on their car parks to prevent them filling up with people who are not visiting the hospital - just parking and going elsewhere shopping etc.

John52 - 2017-09-06 7:02 PM

antony1969 - 2017-09-06 5:46 PM

What the hell your on about I don't know ... ..

Well I don't know how to explain it more simply

Perhaps you could try reading it again :-S

Well you obviously don't know the answers to the two questions I asked you either ... You want me to put those in a simpler way or you just going to ignore them again ?

Veronica

Oh Lordy !... You believe in fairies and Santa too I bet

John52 - 2017-09-06 7:37 PM

I'm not the one saying move them on

antony1969 - 2017-09-06 5:46 PM

keyboard warrior...

So thats pretty rich coming from the one who is (lol)

Thats right your more interested in having a go at someone who politely declines an invitation to watch a TV programme aren't ya

The story has been in all the papers that I've seen and on TV. Veronica, the children were sent back to Ireland when he was admitted so there was nothing stopping them getting b & b. I wonder if they have their ehic card with them or maybe some travel insurance...... I doubt it, oh and the beer cans at the back of the van must indicate that they have a bit of dosh.

Some years ago when my first wife was seriously ill and in hospital some 60 miles from home I tried to get the hospital to allow me to stay in the van in their car park, so I would not have to drive 120 miles every day, 240 some days, all to no avail.

I explained that I was a seasoned motorhomer and living in the van alone I would be self sufficient for several days at a time and there would be no mess, no litter, no noise, no trace of me being there and I would be able to spend more time with my wife, and at her bedside.

I even offered to waive the free parking they gave me as a regular long term user but they were adamant that it would encorage the wrong type of user - I wonder who they meant?

John52 - 2017-09-06 5:20 PM

RogerC - 2017-09-06 4:20 PM

Any law abiding individual would have had the full force of the authorities down on them to move, been ticketed, clamped, towed etc etc.  

Run that one by me again Roger *-)

Why would they be ticketed clamped or towed if they are law abiding?

LMFAO!! (lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)

Veronica

Steady on Veronica.......that's expecting a bit too much from the right whingers! (lol)

John52 - 2017-09-06 5:20 PM
RogerC - 2017-09-06 4:20 PM Any law abiding individual would have had the full force of the authorities down on them to move, been ticketed, clamped, towed etc etc.  
Run that one by me again Roger *-)Why would they be ticketed clamped or towed if they are law abiding?

Provocateur now are you?
My message was that being 'travellers' who by reputation and frequently evidenced incidents break the law with impunity appear, by the information provided, to be once more breaking the law by parking/overnighting where it is not permitted.  They appear to be illegally occupying disabled parking slots and it is apparently deemed necessary to 'fence them in' rather than remove them.  Now if 'Joe Blogs' pillar of society, law abiding individual (usually, but in this example forced into rather radical behaviour) was to try the same thing, illegal parking, overnighting in a van, using the hospital facilities for ablutions whilst effectively living in a van on hospital property the full weight of authority would rain down in a torrential deluge.

Now do you get it .....?

Archived