Michelin factory closure

Bulletguy

The Schaeffler factory sited Brexit as a reason for closure

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/06/new-blow-for-uk-car-industry-as-european-parts-factories-close-michelin-schaeffler

Wheras Michelin said the decision is unrelated to the Brexit vote. Seems more to do with cheap imports from Asia - just looking at tyres for my van on f1 website and Michelins are about twice the price of their cheapest brand. Michelin has to cut production capacity but of course they close the factory outside the EU.

Have yet to hear of any factories setting up in Britain because its leaving the EU *-)

I think "in the current climate" was a kind way of putting it! Yes i haven't read of any rush to set up new factories in Brexit Britain and even pro-Brexiteer Dyson chose to build his electric car in Singapore.

A new Poundland shop has opened recently in my local town so maybe that's a start. :-|

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-07 8:50 PM

Michelin are not closing their factories in the EU. So whatever they say, tyres that would have been made here are going to be made there.

They're closing the factory due to lack of demand for small tyres *-) ..........

Are they relocating the machinery for making small tyres to the EU? ;-) ........

Nope........So your spouting nothing more than pathetic Remoaner spin >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-11-08 9:41 AM

John52 - 2018-11-07 8:50 PM

Michelin are not closing their factories in the EU. So whatever they say, tyres that would have been made here are going to be made there.

They're closing the factory due to lack of demand for small tyres *-) ..........

Are they relocating the machinery for making small tyres to the EU? ;-) ........

Nope........So your spouting nothing more than pathetic Remoaner spin >:-) ..........

If Brexit is good for Britain why are they not closing an EU factory instead *-)

Possibly not because they are making fewer tyres.

The simple point is they are choosing to make those tyres in the EU.

Instead of making them here on the wrong side of a trade barrier.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-08 9:52 AM

Possibly not because they are making fewer tyres.

The simple point is they are choosing to make those tyres in the EU.

Instead of making them here on the wrong side of a trade barrier.

So we wont need tyres post Brexit? *-) ..........

They're downsizing because of the competition ;-) ........Not because of Brexit >:-) ...........

pelmetman - 2018-11-08 10:01 AM

They're downsizing because of the competition ;-) ........Not because of Brexit >:-) ...........

Thats true Actually.

They need to close a factory.

But the simple point you either can't or won't acknowlege is that they are closing the factory in Britain - not the factories in the EU.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-08 10:29 AM

pelmetman - 2018-11-08 10:01 AM

Thats true Actually.

But the simple point you either can't or won't acknowlege is that they are closing the factory in Britain - not the factories in the EU.

Maybe it's because folk like me prefer a Hankook :D ........

What else would you seriously expect a French company to do - especially a factory so isolated from the rest of the world - what ever convinced them to open it up there in the first place I wonder?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2018-11-08 4:54 PM

What else would you seriously expect a French company to do - especially a factory so isolated from the rest of the world - what ever convinced them to open it up there in the first place I wonder?

A backhander from the UK government ;-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-11-08 4:56 PM

Now wouldn't that be ironic to those who protest so loudly about politically motivated back handers!

What else would you seriously expect a French company to do - pespecially a factory so isolated from the rest of the world - what ever convinced them to open it up there in the first place I wonder?

We are a tiny Island Rich and your saying we are isolated now. Soon to be a lot more isolated it seems. No wonder they cleared off. Not the first and wont be the last.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2018-11-08 5:04 PM

pelmetman - 2018-11-08 4:56 PM

Now wouldn't that be ironic to those who protest so loudly about politically motivated back handers!

Panasonic only set up a factory in Wales assembling bits from Japan to avoid EU import tax with a backhander from the then government ;-) ...........

They have shut several others since as the I suspect the "stay in the UK" clause has lapsed :-| ........

At least WE will have the freedom to use big business bungs again post Brexit >:-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-11-08 5:26 PM

What else would you seriously expect a French company to do - pespecially a factory so isolated from the rest of the world - what ever convinced them to open it up there in the first place I wonder?

We are a tiny Island Rich and your saying we are isolated now. Soon to be a lot more isolated it seems. No wonder they cleared off. Not the first and wont be the last.

How many tiny Islands are in the G7 Mr Surrender Monkey? ;-) .............

Two.......Us and Japan :D ........

So it's not about your size Barry ;-) ..............It's what you can do with it that counts B-) ..........

It all stems from seriously inept stop start government over decades of allowing unions and their own incompetence to kill home grown industry and then allowing foreign companies to get too big a toe hold.

Michelin came to Dundee before we joined the EEC and at that time we all bought local made tyres but the world has moved on and now Japan, China and others produce tyres that are getting to be as good but cost less than EU made tyres. So with all the employee protection laws and high wages to pay it is no wonder that Michelin has to adapt to the new world order or die.

Sorry Barry, there is no nice way to say this, but blaming Brexit is a typical jump on any passing bandwagon excuse as one would expect from a desperate bunch of remoaners hell bent on discrediting Brexit by any means.

The very same reason Dyson decided not to build his electric car in UK, but Singapore......just days after it signed FTA with the EU, something UK currently has but now at risk of losing it.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-08 8:20 PM

The very same reason Dyson decided not to build his electric car in UK, but Singapore......just days after it signed FTA with the EU, something UK currently has but now at risk of losing it.

Dyson doesn't give a toss for the EU ;-) ..........

He's taken them to the cleaners on a regular basis >:-) .......

Just Google Dyson and the EU :D ........

Tracker - 2018-11-08 5:38 PM

It all stems from seriously inept stop start government over decades of allowing unions and their own incompetence to kill home grown industry and then allowing foreign companies to get too big a toe hold.

Michelin came to Dundee before we joined the EEC and at that time we all bought local made tyres but the world has moved on and now Japan, China and others produce tyres that are getting to be as good but cost less than EU made tyres. So with all the employee protection laws and high wages to pay it is no wonder that Michelin has to adapt to the new world order or die.

Sorry Barry, there is no nice way to say this, but blaming Brexit is a typical jump on any passing bandwagon excuse as one would expect from a desperate bunch of remoaners hell bent on discrediting Brexit by any means.

But wasnt Brexit supposed to be all about raising wages and now your saying they are already too high? Wont tariffs and the end of just in time movement of goods also make it harder for UK manufacturing businesses to be competitive? I think your right about employment laws though. The Tories will just tear them up once we "take back control".

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-11-08 9:50 PM

Tracker - 2018-11-08 5:38 PM

But wasnt Brexit supposed to be all about raising wages and now your saying they are already too high? Wont tariffs and the end of just in time movement of goods also make it harder for UK manufacturing businesses to be competitive? I think your right about employment laws though. The Tories will just tear them up once we "take back control".

Haven't you noticed wages are rising for the first time in 10 years ;-) .............

Perhaps that's due to Brexit? >:-) .........ie employers are realizing the cheap labour taps are about to be turned off :D ...........

pelmetman - 2018-11-08 8:26 PM

Then explain why he announced he'd build his car in Singapore just days after that country signed a FTA with the EU. Had you said he "doesn't give a toss about the UK", you'd be right, but as usual you've got it back to front......again. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-08 10:09 PM

Then explain why he announced he'd build his car in Singapore just days after that country signed a FTA with the EU. Had you said he "doesn't give a toss about the UK", you'd be right, but as usual you've got it back to front......again. *-)

He went to Singapore because of their workforce's expertise in electronics which also happen to cost less than those in the UK ;-) ........

Plus he's looking to sell to a 195 countries.......Not just 27 :D ........

Not that I'd buy a Dyson :-| ..........I'll leave that to the "save the planet" suckers >:-) .......

pelmetman - 2018-11-08 10:20 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-08 10:09 PM

He went to Singapore because of their workforce's expertise in electronics which also happen to cost less than those in the UK ;-) ........

I just knew you''d fall into that trap sooner or later.

Singapore has some of the highest average salaries in the world after tax, according to studies by Deutsche Bank. Land available for industrial use is scarce and expensive, and it ranks highly in general cost-of-living indexes.

Dyson may have decided to make electric cars in Singapore, but few are likely to be driven here or anywhere in Southeast Asia for that matter.

The number of privately owned electric vehicles in Singapore is in single digits. Singapore is one of the world’s most expensive places to own a car because the government strictly controls the vehicle population by charging owners a variable rate for the right to own and use a vehicle for a limited number of years.

Meanwhile, Singapore does have an extensive free trade agreement with China, (as it now will with the EU) which lists various car types and car parts in its tariff-reduction schedule.

pelmetman - 2018-11-08 10:20 PM

Instead of bothering to check the facts you just make judgements based on prejudice you have got from the Daily Mail :-S

Archived