Modern technology

mom

Have any of you experienced the same?.....

I don't want this to be provocative, but I do tire a little with some people who presume a right to tell me how to, and how not to, enjoy my time in my motohome. 

My particular gripe is with the use of modern technology, particularly a computer and WiFi.  Whenever I have mentioned that I take a laptop and would like to see WiFi access become more widely available, someone jumps in with "why can't you leave your technology behind, and learn to enjoy your travels the proper way"  Some remarks have been downright patronising, and for anyone to tell me that the way they enjoy themselves is the "only" way allowed, and that I should comply, well, it's arrogance at best, and I won't say what it is at worst! 

I use a laptop and internet to pursue my hobbies of photography and writing, and to help plan our moves when we are touring the continent.  Apparently some believe this is a no-no and I should forget all that (because it involves "a computer") and relax instead.  It is interesting that a walk around any site at night will show 90% of vans having the TV on.  Somehow this doesn't fall into the "leave the modern technology behind and relax" category.  We don't have a TV in the van.

Today's laptop and modem are yesterdays pen, paper and ink.  If I said that I sit in my van and indulge my writing hobby with a pen and leather-bound journal, I'd be admired.  Taking a computer with you when camping is not a failure to leave the rat-race behind, it is method of adding richness to the travelling experience. 

And if it so happens that someone amongst us needs to take a computer on-site to finish up some office-work (as my wife and I have done on two occasions), thus enabling them to have a weekend away that they otherwise could not have enjoyed, then huzzah to them!  What a wonderful world where this can happen.

So long as I don't harm anyone, no-one has the right to instruct me on what to do with my leisure time.

Guest starspirit

We all enjoy the freedom to use and enjoy our vans in differing ways and nobody has the right to say what is right or wrong?

We all enjoy the freedom of differing points of view on many things and mostly when we disagree we agree to differ in a friendly way.

The key are the words 'enjoy' and 'freedom' so good luck to one and all.

Let's all just carry on enjoying and sharing the freedoms that we all have.

We live in a decromacy that encompasses the freedom of the individual to do what they like within the confines of the law.Two fingers to anyone who encroaches on that persons rights.

Enjoy life to the full theres no second chance.

Michael

Are you having a bad day?  :-)

It isn't just the technology, it's anything that's different.  Some folk just can't tolerate that others don't share their own particular preferences.  They seem to see anyone who thinks or does things differently to themselves, as some kind of threat, and it emerges in all kinds of contexts.  If it's computers (especially, for some reason, laptops), then maybe they are just uncomfortable with these, or don't have one, or think them too expensive, and just feel someone else's ability to roam and surf is some kind of sself gratification that implies they are inadequate.

It is an irritatingly common thread, but I guess it's just one of human nature's weaker features.  Think religion, instead of technology, and you can see it writ large! 

Fundamentally, it's all the same instinct - I don't do that, but he or she does: they must be a bit weird, possibly foreign, maybe perverts, probably asylum seekers, may be Muslims (or Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Jehova's witnesses, Mormons, Amish, Sikh, Hindu etc etc - apologies to those I've missed - no offence intended!) must be Albanian, ought to do what I do, should be locked up, preferably extradited.

Little things and little minds!  Just leave them to it, on the whole they're harmless: just irritating. 

It's the intelligent ones with big ideas, absolute faith in their own judgement and a strong desire for the rest of us to just fall in line behind who really worry me.  Anyone come to mind?

Guest starspirit

Well said Brian - nobody intelligent who is worth following comes to mind?

There are some bullies with big ideas who would like us all to follow them blindly at our own expense that do come to mind!

Who did you have in mind?

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Mom wrote:

My particular gripe is with the use of modern technology, particularly a computer and WiFi.  Whenever I have mentioned that I take a laptop and would like to see WiFi access become more widely available, someone jumps in with "why can't you leave your technology behind, and learn to enjoy your travels the proper way"  Some remarks have been downright patronising, and for anyone to tell me that the way they enjoy themselves is the "only" way allowed, and that I should comply, well, it's arrogance at best, and I won't say what it is at worst! 

You are absolutely right and it's one aspect of this forum that irritates the hell out of me! If someone asks a question about a particular speed camera detector, some sanctimonius person leaps in and gives us a lecture about speeding.

There have been a couple of examples where someone has posted about digital TV or satellite systems and immediately someone comes in with a comment about televison being a waste of time and how we'd be better doing what they do such as read a book or go for a walk.

Well thank you folks, but we're not interested in whether or not you like TV, the question was about the best setup for digital TV for God's sake!

Contrary to several implications, I may like to put a strong argument but if you believe in something, such as God, or a particular political system for instance, then unless you believe it strongly, then you may as well not believe it at all. I have never though, denied anyone else the right to their own opinion or belief but in many instances, I believe that I am right and they are wrong. They of course, believe that they are right and I am wrong and good luck to them.

If for instance you believe in free enterprise and capitalism then you must believe that those who don't are wrong! This does not however mean that they are not entitled to those beliefs and I have never and will never, deny them that right.

There's a huge difference between someone who puts up a strong and well argued case for something and someone who wishes to deny others their own right to an opinion.

I find it particularly amusing that many people who have a go at those of us who believe in something and will argue for it are the very ones who scoff at others who prefer a different kind of camping to that in a motorhome and that 'tuggers' for instance are some kind of inferior breed.

Now that in my opinion is as bigoted a position as anyone can take, but it never seems to raise a squeak from the very people moaning about those of us with our own strong views!

Agreed - I use a Laptop all week and when I got my first one it was "new" I was fascinated by it. The fact that I could then buy a widgit to get TV on it was even better!

I do not take it now for reasons I have stated on an adjacent post. But life these days seem fuller than ever of those people that want you to do what they do.

Is it because they are insecure and need to feel that what they do is "normal"? And so are suspicious, fearful, of people that have the individuality and stature to do what they want to do?

I think the very worst examples of this Banding together principle is seen in things like one make clubs. I rebuilt an old 3 cylinder two stroke Suzuki motorbike some years ago, joined the Suzuki OC and went to a few classic bike meetings with the bike.

When I said that a bike on the Kawasaki club stand was really good, a couple of the guys from the Suzuki OC walked away in disgust!! The "hard Core" Suzuki anoraks would truck with no disloyalty.

So I do not join "one make clubs" anymore. OK - extreme views on my part, I admit. And certainly not representative of the majority - but we are not talking of majorities here.

I do not think there is any animosity in these people trying to tell others what to do, but I do not understand the need to get others to do as you do?

Frankly if I saw anyone with a Laptop in a caravan Motorhome I would not think anything off it!

Live and let live (lol)

Guest starspirit

By ranting on like that off thread Frank you have kinda defeated your own argument.

Beliefs are one thing but having an open enough mind to be prepared to consider a differing point of view is something that I have always believed in and encouraged. How else do things change and improve?

Whether I agree with it or not or whether a message on here is a bit off topic matters not as everyone's input, which the individual sees as important at that time, has as much value and right to be here as any other individual's input regardless of what anyone else thinks.

I have made it plain many times that I have no problem with any other form of camping and indeed, as a one time 'tugger' many years ago, have several good 'tugger' friends. 'Tuggers' often have a good natured pop at us Nomads and vice versa and its called humour.

CliveH - 2007-03-02 5:43 PM

Agreed - I use a Laptop all week and when I got my first one it was "new" I was fascinated by it. The fact that I could then buy a widgit to get TV on it was even better!

I do not take it now for reasons I have stated on an adjacent post. But life these days seem fuller than ever of those people that want you to do what they do.

Is it because they are insecure and need to feel that what they do is "normal"? And so are suspicious, fearful, of people that have the individuality and stature to do what they want to do?

I think the very worst examples of this Banding together principle is seen in things like one make clubs. I rebuilt an old 3 cylinder two stroke Suzuki motorbike some years ago, joined the Suzuki OC and went to a few classic bike meetings with the bike.

When I said that a bike on the Kawasaki club stand was really good, a couple of the guys from the Suzuki OC walked away in disgust!! The "hard Core" Suzuki anoraks would truck with no disloyalty.

So I do not join "one make clubs" anymore. OK - extreme views on my part, I admit. And certainly not representative of the majority - but we are not talking of majorities here.

I do not think there is any animosity in these people trying to tell others what to do, but I do not understand the need to get others to do as you do?

Frankly if I saw anyone with a Laptop in a caravan Motorhome I would not think anything off it!

Live and let live (lol)

Hi Clive. The worst culprits i,ve come across are that select breed of VWs campers you come across on site who believe that anyone not owning something approaching a 50yr old "splitty"are to be treated at best with condescending contempt. Talk about inverted snobbery, and while I appreciate the work that goes into keeping these old timers on the road, I would like them to know that camping can be just as enjoyable in a modern, reliable and comfortable campervan.

Guest starspirit

Now now Howie that's not very nice is it and most unlike you?

These VW ites are as entitled to be insular as we are to be outgoing init!

I kinda admire their dedication to being cold, cramped and rusty and I certainly admire their low costs and appreciating assets.

I take my laptop out with me too, I download my digital pics and write my diary and look up sites and aires. And I watch digital and analogue tv on it too when I feel like it - my daughter and soon to be son in law have a vw camper - not a splitty and they love it, and we travel in convoy (not very fast) LOL ah but they do envy our shower, but they have an outdoor one (only for the summer though)

It's horses for courses - we are all different - and thank goodness for that otherwise what a boring world it would be and Frank would have no one to debate things with - as they would all agree with him Ahhgggggggggggg.

take care out there

Carol

773178418_louandjim.jpg.74ae548cecd8bdae5348a325e423fa1d.jpg

Guest peter
I have always been different from most people I know and done my own thing with assorted interests and hobbies. If someone doesn't like it, I don't give a toss. So there >:-(

Do what you like MOM no one pays your mortgage and until they do they can all sod off . If you need your laptop you have it sod em all.

Personally we pack the kitchen sink the works ...Good for you .

Anyway seems to me like you have the perfect ballance sitting by the loch's in scotland eating mussel's and reading chilling man.

I hope one day I will get to do all that Laptop in tow along with books maps dvd's TV home from home ... I say I'll travel my way you travel yours .

That way we should all be happy ... keep on rocking..

Archived