More Brexit Bad News

Bulletguy

A stark wake up call to the folly of Brexit and how it's putting British jobs at huge risk. UK Ford employ 13,800 people directly......God alone knows how many non-Ford businesses rely on Ford to keep them in a job too.

Ford’s European boss has warned that a no-deal Brexit could cost his company $1 billion a year in tariffs.

Speaking exclusively to Channel 4 News, Steven Armstrong, Ford’s boss in Europe the Middle East and Africa, said a hard Brexit could be “disastrous” and added that if Britain doesn’t remain competitive, then Ford could rethink its plans to invest in Britain.

Of course that $1 billion a year could always be passed on to the customer......in the UK.

https://www.channel4.com/news/hard-brexit-threat-to-british-motor-industry

Sorry but I reckon that's more BS.

Take a look at the item below and tell me Ford is 'really' concerned about the UK workforce:

November 2012 press article:

THE monthly meeting of the board of directors of the European Investment Bank (EIB) in March began with the approval of a €80m loan to the Bulgarian subsidiary of a Turkish glass tableware manufacturer.

But it was another Turkish loan decision made that day among nearly €4 billion worth of lending that this week sparked uproar among Southampton Euro MPs and unions.

Meeting at the bank’s headquarters in Luxembourg – a striking glass-roofed building, its 28 directors and 12 alternate directors signed off up to €190m of funding for a Ford Transit factory in Turkey.

The significance of the loan was put under the spotlight this week after Ford announced the closure of its Southampton factory, and confirmed that production of the Transit would be moved to Koceali.

RogerC - 2017-11-28 11:57 PM

Sorry but I reckon that's more BS.

I'm not sure i'd dismiss it as BS quite that quickly Roger, particularly after posting that article which shows Ford's commitment to trade with EU countries.....but then of course that was made in 2012 when we were a "strong and stable" ( ;-) ) member country sharing tariff free trading between all so our future then was still secure.

Did you view that news clip? Steven Armstrong is based at Ford's factory in Cologne and has a pretty substantial CV having worked all over the world. His viewpoint is very interesting not to mention the incredible stats from ground up to complete build. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/people/steven-armstrong.html

pelmetman - 2017-11-29 8:08 AM

Just more good news for BREXIT as far as I'm concerned, as it'll mean UKPLC will receive billions in tariffs B-) ............

When Armstrong said a no deal Brexit could cost Ford $1 billion a year he doesn't mean they will pay that........you will as a customer, effectively pricing the product out of the UK market. You're still in denial over Brexit and think of it as a magic money tree you just shake and tons of gold bars fall into your hands......that's never going to happen.

Perhaps you want to go back to days of the British made 3 wheeler "plastic pig" which was all most people could afford? Facing years more austerity that's exactly the way you're headed......back to the dark ages.

Bulletguy - 2017-11-29 4:39 PM
RogerC - 2017-11-28 11:57 PMSorry but I reckon that's more BS.
I'm not sure i'd dismiss it as BS quite that quickly Roger, particularly after posting that article which shows Ford's commitment to trade with EU countries.....but then of course that was made in 2012 when we were a "strong and stable" ( ;-) ) member country sharing tariff free trading between all so our future then was still secure.Did you view that news clip? Steven Armstrong is based at Ford's factory in Cologne and has a pretty substantial CV having worked all over the world. His viewpoint is very interesting not to mention the incredible stats from ground up to complete build. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/people/steven-armstrong.html
pelmetman - 2017-11-29 8:08 AMJust more good news for BREXIT as far as I'm concerned, as it'll mean UKPLC will receive billions in tariffs B-) ............
When Armstrong said a no deal Brexit could cost Ford $1 billion a year he doesn't mean they will pay that........you will as a customer, effectively pricing the product out of the UK market. You're still in denial over Brexit and think of it as a magic money tree you just shake and tons of gold bars fall into your hands......that's never going to happen.Perhaps you want to go back to days of the British made 3 wheeler "plastic pig" which was all most people could afford? Facing years more austerity that's exactly the way you're headed......back to the dark ages.
My point was Ford had no problem shutting down a perfectly good plant in Southampton and moving it's production to Turkey on the back of some questionable funding from the ECB.  So if it can happily run a Transit factory outside of the EU I fail to see the issue now.

Oh and I'm in denial over nothing....I voted out....I see the expansionist aims of the EU as overly invasive and certain countries wielding too much power and influence to serve their own agenda so 'in denial'?  No...I can readily accept we are on our way out which appears to be more accepting of the situation than a great many on your side of the fence.

Now why would I want to see the UK motor industry revert to three wheeler production lines of the past?  You really are scraping the bottom of the remoaners pit of doom if that's the best premise you can come up with.

RogerC - 2017-11-29 6:07 PM

..Now why would I want to see the UK motor industry revert to three wheeler production lines of the past?  You really are scraping the bottom of the remoaners pit of doom if that's the best premise you can come up with.

Well, what ever the "UK motor industry" ends up producing(assembling?) the chances are it'll be Johnny Foreigner owned and/or bankrolled anyway.....

Jaguar Land Rover- Indian

Nissan/Toyota/Honda- Japanese

Mini(BMW)- German

Rolls Royce (BMW?)- German

Bentley (VAG?)- German

Vauxhall (PSA)- French

Lotus (Geely? Proton?) Chinese? Malaysian?......?

Ford- Ceased Transit 2013 (although produces/assembles engines at Dagenham?)

So maybe we should wave the flag and all drive Morgans..?... :-S

Speaking of Morgans outside a pub I was eating in was a Harley engine d 3 wheel Morgan every customer went to view it bypassing other luxury cars just to ogle at it a stunningly beautiful car. Unfortunately at £35,000 it's a bit over my budget but even my wife said if we had the money she would have one.

"Made in England" A designer label much in demand in Japan and other places.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-11-29 4:39 PM

When Armstrong said a no deal Brexit could cost Ford $1 billion a year he doesn't mean they will pay that........you will as a customer, effectively pricing the product out of the UK market.

Not me.......I haven't bought a new vehicle since 1999 ;-) .........

I wonder how much a Transit costs in Turkey, seeing as they're not in the EU it must cost them a fortune >:-) .......

RogerC - 2017-11-29 6:07 PM

My point was Ford had no problem shutting down a perfectly good plant in Southampton and moving it's production to Turkey on the back of some questionable funding from the ECB. So if it can happily run a Transit factory outside of the EU I fail to see the issue now.

Perhaps best asking George Osborne who backed it and Labour's Chuka Umunna demanded to know why he allowed it. But then Osborne was Governor of the EIB which funded the loan which tell's you a lot. Wonder how much he trousered over that? ;-)

teflon2 - 2017-11-29 7:31 PM

Speaking of Morgans outside a pub I was eating in was a Harley engine d 3 wheel Morgan every customer went to view it bypassing other luxury cars just to ogle at it a stunningly beautiful car. Unfortunately at £35,000 it's a bit over my budget but even my wife said if we had the money she would have one.

"Made in England" A designer label much in demand in Japan and other places.

Harley engined? Sacrilege!! One of those new fangled Yankee inbreds! (lol)

Years ago in my leaner fitter youth i helped a mate rebuild a Morgan 4/4 he eventually sold to fund purchase of a 3 wheeler Super Sport he's long hankered after. Being a top notch engineer and working in that industry he had facility to machine new parts as required which was a big help Great fun to work on. As far as i know he still does engineering work for the Morgan Owners Club.

teflon2 - 2017-11-29 7:31 PMSpeaking of Morgans outside a pub I was eating in was a Harley engine d 3 wheel Morgan every customer went to view it bypassing other luxury cars just to ogle at it a stunningly beautiful car. Unfortunately at £35,000 it's a bit over my budget but even my wife said if we had the money she would have one."Made in England" A designer label much in demand in Japan and other places.

More likely to be the original S&S motor Morgan use on that model, not a Harley but looks a bit like one because of the twin pots and pushrods.

Bulletguy - 2017-11-29 8:20 PM
RogerC - 2017-11-29 6:07 PMMy point was Ford had no problem shutting down a perfectly good plant in Southampton and moving it's production to Turkey on the back of some questionable funding from the ECB. So if it can happily run a Transit factory outside of the EU I fail to see the issue now.
Perhaps best asking George Osborne who backed it and Labour's Chuka Umunna demanded to know why he allowed it. But then Osborne was Governor of the EIB which funded the loan which tell's you a lot. Wonder how much he trousered over that? ;-)
teflon2 - 2017-11-29 7:31 PMSpeaking of Morgans outside a pub I was eating in was a Harley engine d 3 wheel Morgan every customer went to view it bypassing other luxury cars just to ogle at it a stunningly beautiful car. Unfortunately at £35,000 it's a bit over my budget but even my wife said if we had the money she would have one."Made in England" A designer label much in demand in Japan and other places.
Harley engined? Sacrilege!! One of those new fangled Yankee inbreds! (lol)Years ago in my leaner fitter youth i helped a mate rebuild a Morgan 4/4 he eventually sold to fund purchase of a 3 wheeler Super Sport he's long hankered after. Being a top notch engineer and working in that industry he had facility to machine new parts as required which was a big help Great fun to work on. As far as i know he still does engineering work for the Morgan Owners Club.

...and your reply delivers what in terms of relevance to the fact that Ford had no problems moving their factory to Turkey....outside of the EU, shut a perfectly functioning factory in Southampton and 'still' manages to sell loads of Transits in the EU including the UK.  So I still maintain the claim regarding problems for Ford is part of a game of smoke and mirrors.

RogerC - 2017-11-29 8:44 PM

More likely to be the original S&S motor Morgan use on that model, not a Harley but looks a bit like one because of the twin pots and pushrods.
Yes, I agree Roger..(..and think it has a Mazda(or similar?) gearbox... ?)But I suppose "Pretty much assembled in England" probably wouldn't have the same ring to it..? :-S

RogerC - 2017-11-29 8:44 PM

Yes you are right, being deaf I seem to only get part of the discussion right.

<<< But I suppose "Pretty much assembled in England" probably wouldn't have the same ring to it..? >>>

Hi,

Ring? You want something with a ring to it? How about a bottle of brandy I saw in Penang, 1964.

"Brewed from the finest Scottish grapes, and bottled at Buckingham Palace".

I voted LEAVE, because I wanted out of the EU. (I'd almost rather be the 51st state of the other place). I didn't think there could be a soft Brexit, but I had confidence it the UKs ability to survive and prosper. Hasn't anybody else noticed an air of vibrancy since the referendum?

Everybody knows that the EU need us, we import more from them than we export to them. But look at it another way ... if we stop importing from them, then there will be a huge void ready to be filled with what we will no longer export to them ... and still leave a void. OK, some adjustments will be necessary.

I cannot see any manufacturer, of anything, ignoring an empty slot in the market place.

I have a mate on another forum. He imported a new Mercedes camper from Germany, and saved himself £10,000. A RHD model, which he didn't want, would have cost another £1,000. I can't understand how there can be that much difference between two vehicles being sold (nominally) in the same market.

The UK will have to pay for EU pensions. What proportion the EU civil servants are German? What proportion of the pension pot will go into Germany?

hi all,

One thing is right that the politicians say and that is it is the Final Deal that matters and that is the subject of a negotiation. This, I think is where our problem lies. When the govt. is looking to make changes it quite often employs advisers to do the work for them and then they decide on the outcome. Our people are giving me and no doubt a lot of others here and in Europe that they couldn't negotiate their way out of a paper bag. I also suspect the backroom team are not too long out of u diversity so have seen very little of life and done very little negotiating. I would be just as happy with a shop floor Union Steward as I feel with these people.We should employ some top class guys and gals and tell Davies and co. to sit this out. I voted OUT but the more I see of what is going on I wonder was it so bad being IN.

cheers

derek

Archived