NEC show - October

Mel B

Guest caraprof

Not me (I'm sure you'll be thrilled to hear :-D). I'm very happy with my first new motorhome, in fact I love it. But I just know that if I go to the NEC I shall find one that I like just that bit more and end up shelling out twenty grand!

Better to avoid temptation!

Mel B - 2007-09-28 10:27 PM Okay - c'mon, who's going to have a look at the nice new shiny models on show (down Judge & Peter, I mean the motorhomes, not the girlies!). (lol) Mel

Me!!

I'm going in on the last day - Sunday. Could not make it to the York show, due to company emergencies which turned out to be nothing in hind sight!! So went fishing instead.!!

Thai

michele - 2007-09-28 11:51 PM
Thai Bry - 2007-09-28 11:41 PM
michele - 2007-09-28 11:37 PM With JR Hartley ? :D

NO!!

With my mate Stan!!:D:D

Plus the fact that I've got other concerns with the current situation in Burma!!!!

Thai

Will it ever sort itself out ? I wonder *-) Peter you rang ?

Just look at my responses on "A big adventure" thread

We are going, sciatica allowing!

Caraprof, we too are happy with our van, but you are right we have started thinking " what we need is more storage/fixed bed etc!" So we are going with some friends who definitely want to swap their van. That way we get the fun of exploring without the cost implications..... Unless we see "the perfect van"!

What I want to know is where do the clubs get off charging £20.00 a night for a pitch? Surely as members of profitable clubs there should be pitches available cheaper than that. It's only an "aire" at the end of the day!

Yes we will be going not yet decided which day we will be there I suppose being retired we can go when we like .

At least we can have a good look around this year last year at the show we spent most of the day buying our 1st motorhome this year we will be looking at the bits and bobs stands.  kelly

Tomo3090 - 2007-09-29 11:19 AM

Unless we see "the perfect van"!

What I want to know is where do the clubs get off charging £20.00 a night for a pitch? Surely as members of profitable clubs there should be pitches available cheaper than that. It's only an "aire" at the end of the day!

Entirely agree on that £20 a night for what is only a glorified carpark Stephen. The only justification is that demand is so much that they feel entitled to charge whatever they like, though why this should be so is beyond me, especially in view of their "membership loyalty" blurb they are so fond of telling us about at every opportunity.

Spending just a few hours at these shows doesn,t really give you the chance to see everything thats on offer, so a overnight stop is essential if you want to take everything in.

Had the opportunity to look at most of the new vans on offer lately and nothing really appeals to me. All seem to be cluttered up with this years "must haves", with even the bigger ones lacking any real space to move around comfortably. Only one impressed me in this respect, and that was the Autocruise Vista which has been re-introduced this year. At £36,000 + a bit to pricey for my liking, but a perfect example of how to fit in all the essentials, without compromise, and still leave oodles of living space. If Autocruise can achieve this in a van with a overall length of only 17ft 4in then why can,t they and others do the same with their larger vans. (Should point out that the Vista has a rear entrance door but don,t see that as a problem.)

Guest caraprof
Tomo3090 - 2007-09-29 11:19 AM What I want to know is where do the clubs get off charging £20.00 a night for a pitch? Surely as members of profitable clubs there should be pitches available cheaper than that. It's only an "aire" at the end of the day!

Have you considered what the clubs may be being charged by the NEC to rent the space? I've no doubt that it will be a very high cost! There is then the expensive business of putting in temporay facilities for a very short period.

My firm often goes to outdoor events, bird watchers' fairs etc. and we occasionally take a stand at the NEC for a large exhibition that our trade holds. It's a nightmare! It's really expensive and we have to pay staff more than usual as they're away from home. And don't get me going on the problems of linking computerised cash register systems back into the firm's mainframe!

If you're in the CC you should read its annual accounts as I have. They've just been published in the magazine. Site fees account for a fraction of the club's revenue and would not even pay its head office costs. Its major income is other activities such as insurance services, travel bookings etc. etc.

So please, don't just jump to the conclusion that, because a service provider charges a high price, they must be ripping you off. There are often many good reasons for higher than normal prices, many of which are out of its control.

caraprof - 2007-10-01 11:53 AM
So please, don't just jump to the conclusion that, because a service provider charges a high price, they must be ripping you off. There are often many good reasons for higher than normal prices, many of which are out of its control.

Point taken Frank, but I still feel the £20 is too high.

Archived