NHS boss and "that" £350 million

Bulletguy

Head of NHS England Simon Stevens, considered a 'moderate' voice, said yesterday;

“The NHS wasn’t on the ballot paper, but it was on the battle bus. Vote Leave for a better funded health service – £350m a week.”

“Rather than our criticising these clear Brexit funding commitments to NHS patients – promises entered into by cabinet ministers and by MPs – the public want to see them honoured.

“By the end of the NHS’s next financial year – March 2019 – the United Kingdom will have left the European Union. Trust in democratic politics will not be strengthened if anyone now tries to argue: ‘You voted Brexit, partly for a better funded health service. But precisely because of Brexit, you now can’t have one."

An excellent speech. Short, sharp, hard hitting and no nonsense mincing from this guy. That big red bus lie will never go away as much as Brexiteers wish it would. Instead it's going to come back and bite you.

Funny but i read a post by a pro-Brexiteer saying "be careful what you wish for". Oh the irony!! Karma!!! (lol)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/brexit-latest-nhs-england-350-million-per-week-pledge-eu-simon-stevens-brussels-a8043191.html

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/nov/08/brexiters-must-honour-extra-cash-pledge-for-nhs-says-health-chief

http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/08/nhs-must-get-money-promised-in-brexit-by-leave-campaign-7062187/

Ha Ha!! No chance!

Although Jeremy Hunt did say that "IF" there was a Brexit dividend the NHS might get some money. (lol)

There is more chance of that than Antony winning Strictly come dancing (and ive seen him dance)

The Tories wont care, they want to privatise it anyway.

bus.jpg.dc27ebc1ad12e0a70cd068138cd8ba2e.jpg

Barryd999 - 2017-11-09 3:40 PM

Ha Ha!! No chance!

Although Jeremy Hunt did say that "IF" there was a Brexit dividend the NHS might get some money. (lol)

Hunt is a total slimeball. Never trusted the man from day one and he certainly has more enemies than friends in the NHS......infact i doubt he has any friends.

There is more chance of that than Antony winning Strictly come dancing (and ive seen him dance)

Eeeeeewwwwww.........did you have a sick bag with you?

The Tories wont care, they want to privatise it anyway.

I know Barry and i believe most people do too. They've always been hell bent on privatisation but know the NHS is the 'jewel in the crown' and not a vote winner, so they resort to depriving the service of much needed funding, let the waiting lists grow, cut vital services and make closures, not to mention now kicking out EU nursing staff who've left in droves.

The NHS Tory wrecking ball plan is simple. When everyone has tired of never ending waiting lists they will introduce their "special service" where you get to go to the front of the queue.........as long as you have the money.

Well this £350 million lie has come back and will never go away. Brexiteers will rue the day that silly red bus ever went out on the road with buffoon Johnson scratching his head in bewilderment.

They WILL be held to account over it and rightly so.Well done Simon Stevens!!

I've seen three images of that red bus. One say's £350million a week, one saying £225million a week and one saying £50 million a day. There is nothing on that bus which says the NHS would get all that money, what it does infer is that there would be more money available to the NHS if we didn't have to give £350million a week to the EU. So the remainders made that into a lie, and it seem's it worked because they can't come up with anything else. The biggest lies were what the remainers were saying, and non have come true except the pound dropping which helped our exports.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2017-11-09 7:49 PM

I've seen three images of that red bus. One say's £350million a week, one saying £225million a week and one saying £50 million a day. There is nothing on that bus which says the NHS would get all that money, what it does infer is that there would be more money available to the NHS if we didn't have to give £350million a week to the EU. So the remainders made that into a lie, and it seem's it worked because they can't come up with anything else. The biggest lies were what the remainers were saying, and non have come true except the pound dropping which helped our exports.

Dave.......Remain didn't need to "make it into a lie", they knew it was and also i suspect, a few Brexiteers too but they were prepared to go with it and hope it would be forgotten about. Well as i said at the time it wouldn't be and everyone who voted Brexit will be held to account for it. It is not simply going to go away....ever. You've got to deal with it now.

Brexit campaign director Dominic Cummings was the man behind the slogans and he's not only openly admitted it was a lie, he's said the Brexit campaign would not have won without it.

“Would we have won without £350m [for] NHS?” said Vote Leave campaign director Dominic Cummings. “All our research and the close result strongly suggests not".

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/08/its-official-theres-200m-hole-brexit-bus-nhs-promise

Cummings has also now had a complete change of mind after seeing the light, describing the referendum as a “dumb idea” before other ideas had been tried to win back powers from Brussels. He has also warned that Brexit is shaping up to be a “guaranteed debacle”, without big changes in Whitehall to deliver a successful negotiation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-vote-leave-director-dominic-cummings-leave-eu-error-nhs-350-million-lie-bus-a7822386.html

However, putting the Brexit lie aside for a moment and addressing your post, you've completely missed the point Simon Stevens made. The emboldened is important to note.

Simon Stevens will cite the leave campaign’s controversial claim that Brexit will bring £350m back under British control to spend on the NHS to argue for more funding for the health service.

He will not call specifically for the figure emblazoned on the side of the Vote Leave bus, which carried Brexiters including Boris Johnson around the country during the referendum.

However, he will insist trust in democracy “will not be strengthened” if the chancellor, Philip Hammond, argues in his budget this month that economic turbulence caused by Brexit means he cannot promise extra cash for the NHS.

“The NHS wasn’t on the ballot paper, but it was on the battlebus. Vote Leave for a better funded health service – £350m a week.”

Its probably worth reminding ourselves of all the great things that "Vote Leave" promised that they will now have to deliver. Not just to the NHS but a whole host of other wonderful things that the 17 million leave voters swallowed. https://infacts.org/cut-keep-list-top-19-brexiteer-promises/

That £8.5 bn or £13bn as Boris kept on saying despite time and time again being shown he was incorrect is going to have to stretch a long way. Maybe they should have pointed out to the electorate that actually what we pay in is only 1% of what the government has to spend in this country each year.

Oh and lets not forget Nige and his merry men and the tabloid gutter press telling us that any minute now Turkey will be joining the EU and 80 million Turks will be flocking here when actually they have about as much chance of joining the EU as we have of succeeding with Brexit. And then there was Nigels horrific racist poster leading a bunch of refugees (from outside of the EU by the way) into the UK.

Yep, they certainly have a lot to deliver.

Paul. Every time there's an argument about Brexit, it's the only thing the remainers can come up with which to say that the Brexiters lied about. I take in what you are trying to put forward in your post, but it does not alter the fact that the slogan does not say £350 million will go to the NHS, so that's my take on it.

No matter what happens, we will not cease trading with the EU. There maybe diffrent rules of trading but it won't stop.

Dave

In reply to Barry's post.

The government can't do any of these things until we have left, so it's wait and see before any judgment can be made.

The Eastern EU countries slowed the refugees coming in, no thanks to Merkel for opening the flood gates. The EU are now saying they will stop they 5bn euro to Turkey...that should be interesting to watch unfold.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2017-11-09 10:01 PM

In reply to Barry's post.

The government can't do any of these things until we have left, so it's wait and see before any judgment can be made.

The Eastern EU countries slowed the refugees coming in, no thanks to Merkel for opening the flood gates. The EU are now saying they will stop they 5bn euro to Turkey...that should be interesting to watch unfold.

Dave

They wont be able to do any of them if we leave as it was all lies to con people into voting. There wont be any spare cash because what we paid in is nothing compared to the cost of leaving. However you want to interpret the wording on the bus (just one of the lies) it was enough to swing the vote which has been shown earlier in the thread. If we wait until after to "see what happens" it will be too late. They need showing up for what they are now. Complete and utter fantasy.

Barryd999 - 2017-11-09 9:12 PM

Its probably worth reminding ourselves of all the great things that "Vote Leave" promised that they will now have to deliver. Not just to the NHS but a whole host of other wonderful things that the 17 million leave voters swallowed. https://infacts.org/cut-keep-list-top-19-brexiteer-promises/

That £8.5 bn or £13bn as Boris kept on saying despite time and time again being shown he was incorrect is going to have to stretch a long way. Maybe they should have pointed out to the electorate that actually what we pay in is only 1% of what the government has to spend in this country each year.

Oh and lets not forget Nige and his merry men and the tabloid gutter press telling us that any minute now Turkey will be joining the EU and 80 million Turks will be flocking here when actually they have about as much chance of joining the EU as we have of succeeding with Brexit. And then there was Nigels horrific racist poster leading a bunch of refugees (from outside of the EU by the way) into the UK.

Yep, they certainly have a lot to deliver.

It's also worth remembering what Quisling U-turn Johnson drafted out when waxing lyrical about the benefits of Remaining.

"We said we wanted a reformed EU. We said that if we failed to get reform, then Britain could have a great future outside. We have not got a reformed EU - so: nothing for it, then - ho for the open seas! Viva Brexit! That would seem to be the logic, and yet I wonder if it is wholly correct.

Shut your eyes. Hold your breath. Think of Britain. Think of the rest of the EU. Think of the future. Think of the desire of your children and your grandchildren to live and work in other European countries; to sell things there, to make friends and perhaps to find partners there.

And then there is the worry about Scotland, and the possibility that an English-only "leave" vote could lead to the break-up of the union.

And then there is the whole geostrategic anxiety. Britain is a great nation, a global force for good. It is surely a boon for the world and for Europe that she should be intimately engaged in the EU. This is a market on our doorstep, ready for further exploitation by British firms: the membership fee seems rather small for all that access.

Why are we so determined to turn our back on it? Shouldn't our policy be like our policy on cake - pro having it and pro eating it? Pro Europe and pro the rest of the world?

nowtelse2do - 2017-11-09 9:44 PM

Paul. Every time there's an argument about Brexit, it's the only thing the remainers can come up with which to say that the Brexiters lied about. I take in what you are trying to put forward in your post, but it does not alter the fact that the slogan does not say £350 million will go to the NHS, so that's my take on it.

No matter what happens, we will not cease trading with the EU. There maybe diffrent rules of trading but it won't stop.

Dave......as you've seen from the link Barry posted there is much much more than just the £350 million a week we are going to be expecting from you for the NHS.

As for the slogan........it seems clear enough to me though Johnson is looking somewhat ruffled by it. It's also worth noting the ONS lodged a strong complaint over it as it was undeniably a distortion of figures. Too late now.....time for Brexiteers to start digging in their pockets because if it was left to me that's precisely where i'd be going now with taxation so under my 'Government' i'd ensure Brexiteers wallowed in years of punitive austerity to provide a comfortable low tax rate lifestyle for Remain voters.

Lucky for you i'm not running the country!

688735698_BREXITNHSLIE.jpg.1859a971c5d95fe4c2566628d1070945.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

NHS is at breaking point and Hammond still in denial.

NHS head Simon Stevens is calling for £4 billion for next year which is not only an absolute bargain.....he's letting Brexiters off very very lightly (£350 million a week = £18 billion 200 million per annum). Personally i'd whack 'em for every penny of that £18bn.

Over 44,000 vacancies in the NHS.

40,000 nurses, 3,500 midwives.......and we also have 1000 GP's less than last year. One of those will be my lovely Polish lady GP who is no longer with the practice and gone back to Poland.

https://www.channel4.com/news/doctors-lobby-for-rise-in-nhs-funding

Archived