Newark Motorhome Show

kelly58

Hi Kelly

Yup, we'll be there. We were just going for Saturday however some friends of ours won some weekend camping tickets but can't go now so we're using them instead. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us all. :-S

Forgot to say earlier, does anyone want to go to the show for the day for free? Now that we've got the 'weekend' tickets we don't need our 2 adult day tickets which we'd already bought - anyone interested drop me a PM. B-)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know how we found the new Spring Fair/Newark show. Friday was blooming cold and windy but it is March after all so not totally unexpected. We arrived at 5.30 pm approx and got pitched up fairly swiftly in a nice spot not too far away from the display area. After tea and walking the dogs we walked to the entertainment marquee but unfortunately it wasn’t much warmer inside – it only had 2 blown air heaters (allegedly ... I only saw one) so we were all sitting there in our hats, scarves, gloves, coats etc trying to look happy. Even the acts on stage were complaining it was cold! After listening to the bit of music the DJ was playing and then sitting through bingo, not long fortunately, we then had some music from a Shania Twain tribute act, not bad but we just had had enough by then so after a few songs decided to go back to the van for a warm drink and quick potter with the dogs.

We eventually went to bed but unfortunately one of the other buildings had a private function in it, nothing to do with the show at all, the problem was that they were playing loud disco music until gone 2.00 am - forget getting any sleep until then!!!! It was a very cold night and even though we had 2 duvets on (13.5 tog each!) we were still a bit chilly (I wore my red woolly hat all night ... now then stop sniggering!!! Passion killer I agree but at that temperature anything that was exposed would've dropped off!). 8-) :$

The following morning we awoke to find the day very overcast and cold with a strong icy breeze. After having a quick potter about and meeting up with Kelly58 (nice to have a natter face to face with another forumite!), we decided to go into Newark on the first free coach at 10.00 am after giving the dogs a walk. Returned to the show for lunch and then a potter round, still extremely cold (not their fault of course) and had a good wander around the few inside stalls/stands and then outside trying to keep moving to keep warm, a little bit of drizzle kept us on our toes jumping in and out of vans! Timberland, Marquis, and Oaktree were there and some 5th wheel and caravan dealers, a fair number of outside stalls of the usual types plus a marquee with some craft stalls in which gave a bit of variety. We felt sorry for the stallholders though, they must’ve been freezing and thoroughly fed up. After returning to the van for a cuppa and to see to the dogs, we went back again for a last wander around but some of the stalls had had enough and before 5.00 pm quite a few had already closed up. We were debating whether or not to stay for the night as it was still very cold and windy and it looked like there might be yet another private function so another sleepless night could’ve been ahead of us. Even though the compare at the previous evening’s entertainment had promised to get some more heaters for the ‘large tin hut’, we didn’t think it would be much warmer, so in the end we decided to have tea and drive home, we’d seen all we wanted to and staying to the Sunday would’ve been nice if the weather looked like it was going to improve but as we’d already been told by the BBC that Saturday was supposed to be fine and sunny (!) and wasn’t, we didn’t have much faith in what Sunday would be like. Quite a few others looked like they’d thought the same as there were lots of ‘gaps’ in the camping fields by the time we had finished tea. As we had tickets for that evening’s entertainment my husband took the dogs out for a walk (whilst I washed up) and managed to find a couple on the ‘overspill’ camping area and gave the tickets to them.

Overall the show wasn’t too bad, and was very well supported by the paying public, but unfortunately there was nothing like the number of dealers or motorhomes you’d normally expect. As the cost wasn’t that much less than the really big shows they maybe need to revise what they are going to charge if they can’t compete with the others, we were lucky to have free weekend camping tickets but some poor souls paid £25.00 to park on the hardstanding overspill area without even having entertainment included from Friday to Monday lunchtime.

The information supplied to us was very poor: a small bunch of narcissus (nice touch), a plan of the site with a list of exhibitors on the back and a black plastic bin bag, nothing to say what time the coach would be leaving, or what the entertainment was, where the emergency contacts were etc, we didn’t know the bingo was going to be on until we got there so didn’t have a pen, not a major problem but nonetheless it would’ve been nice to know. More info is definitely needed to let people know what’s going on – if we hadn’t read the blurb in the mags and on the website before going we wouldn’t have know what acts were on in the entertainment hut or when. They did say it was the first time they’d done an event like this, it’s just a shame they hadn’t been to other shows (I assume?) to see what people get so they know what was expected of them when organising such an event.

I recall when Brownhills used the site for their second summer rally some years ago (which we attended) they also had a problem with the noise from a private function in one of the buildings on one of the nights – I was kept awake then as well … but didn’t remember this until it started with a vengeance on Saturday!!! :'(

Would I go again, not really sure, it would have to be much bigger and definitely not have any other functions there at the same time … not fun being kept awake especially when you’re cold and tired already.

If anyone else went, what did they think to it?

*-)

Guest starspirit

We went to a York show a few years back and were kept awake until the early hours by the very noisy music and inconsiderate people in the Brownhills entertainment tent.

When I went to complain at the Brownhills stand the following morning the manager there was most unsympathetic so we bought our van from Marquis instead.

Moral of the dsory. Never park within half a mile of the Brownhills tent and never buy a van from them either.

Guest peter
starspirit - 2007-03-25 10:18 PM

We went to a York show a few years back and were kept awake until the early hours by the very noisy music and inconsiderate people in the Brownhills entertainment tent.

When I went to complain at the Brownhills stand the following morning the manager there was most unsympathetic so we bought our van from Marquis instead.

Moral of the dsory. Never park within half a mile of the Brownhills tent and never buy a van from them either.

Brownhills tent is only for the young at heart. So if you're a miseable old git stay well away , you might end up having a good time and that would never do would it. But doesn't stop you buying a van from them though.

Guest starspirit

I don't consider that wanting to go to sleep at 11.00pm after a 400 mile drive constitutes being a miserable old git Peter and in the event it was well gone midnight before the noise ceased which is a lot later than any site would tolerate.

I do not subscribe to the theory that having a good time means getting rat ars#d and making a lot of noise without any consideration for other people because that my friend typifies the attitude and lack of respect for others that pervades this land.

Add to that Brownhills awful customer care attitude and I think they are plenty good enough reason's not to buy there.

What does everyone else think?

I don,t think normal site rules apply at these shows Richard and this type of entertainment is laid on for people to enjoy themselves and part of the weekend. Not everyones cup of tea, but a little bit of tolerance given the occasion would,nt go amiss I suppose.

I have to agree with melB it was bl**dy cold friday nights entertainment venue was really cold and when you are cold you only get colder ,so by 10pm we had had enough it was back to "sunny" a hot chocolate laced with whisky then buried deep into our sleeping bags covered with a 13.5tog duvet to get thawed out.

We were lucky we were parked in the centre of the event  at close hand to all the trade stands. Saturday nights entertainment was really good an Eagles tribute band not that I am into tribute bands, but they seemed to be really well enjoyed by everyone, the hall was really warm and comfortable the organisers were true to their word that there would be extra heaters.

I spoke to one of the main organisers Saturday morning and he explained that the showground people had assured him the supplied heating would be adequate but it was nowhere near good enough and all he could do was to appologise to everyone and get it sorted for Saturday night which credit due to him he did get a lot more heaters installed.

Saturday we purchased a Taylor Made thermal screen for "sunny" but because its the new 2007 model there was a slight problem with the fit and Mr Taylor Made had to admit ours was the first one he had seen fitted ,but he was soon to come and have a look at the problem, he then took the cover away for a bit of adjustment to sort out the fit he then refitted and checked it over and could not have been more helpful a top quality product combined with excellent service. I could not believe what a difference the screen cover has made to the warmth of the interior and no steamed up windows fantastic.

It was a very pleasent supprise to have a knock at the door on Saturday morning and have a young lady ask are you kelly58 to which I replied yes you must be MellB how nice it was to have a LIVE chat with a fellow scribe.

Would we go again yes I think we would this was our 1st outdoor show and are looking forward to going to the Peterborough show we have still got a few more items to purchase before we venture into europe.

Can,t have it both ways Richard. As far back as I can remember these events have laid on a show in the evening of some sorts for the benifit of the showgoers and this is something most people accept and look forward to.

Of course there will be some who prefer peace and quiet or a early night, but they must be aware that on the Saturday night there will be the usual live music and associated noise, and you either accept it or let it ruin your weekend.

I,m not entirely unsympathetic, and if you explain how you feel to one of the stewards they will in all probability site you on a pitch further from any late night disturbances on arrival.

Just to clarify, I didn't have a problem with the 'noise' from the show entertainment 'hut' which finished at what I would consider to be a reasonable hour given that it was for the show attendees. No, it was the ruddy private function over which the show organisers had no control whatsoever that was the annoyance.

If I go again I'll certainly make sure I don't get a pitch so close, I'd rather have got the bicycles out and had to use them than be close to the stalls etc and be kept up. :-S

just read the write-up from starspirit hence the warning not to purchase from b....hills. wish i had read it sooner. have just typed a write-up on disability in forum section. i stated that our new camper (for disabled as myself) was brochured as having driver and passenger airbags, noticed on way home after purchasing it, there was no passenger airbag, no driver armrest on cab door, no handle to get out of back of high-top as when beds made up we can't get out of side door. they have offered to pay half of airbag (nothing in writing yet) they say we should have noticed these things. amongst other problems with them i feel very let down, wonder if there are others with these problems from b....hills or other dealers.difficult to notice everything especially when disadvantaged with health problems. couscous

Guest starspirit
howie - 2007-03-26 7:33 PM

Can,t have it both ways Richard. As far back as I can remember these events have laid on a show in the evening of some sorts for the benifit of the showgoers and this is something most people accept and look forward to.

Agreed Howie and the indoor entertainment at most shows is good and fun and we enjoy it. Furthermore it is open to all and is usually contained within a solid building and ends quietly at a sensible time, as opposed to a 'members' only private function within a tent which neither ends on time or quietly.

O.K. Richard, I concede you and Mel have a point re. private functions for members only or whatever as i,ve experienced the same thing myself.

The official entertainment is fairly well regulated and organised but private ones seem to go on forever with it seems no regard to the campers parked nearby.

No good moaning about it on these forums though, and the only way to get your point across is a strongly worded and supported protest to the official organisers asking that more consideration be shown to us the paying public.

Might or might not work but at least you are letting them know there is a problem.

Guest starspirit

Yeah Howie and like Warners will be interested in the few of us that complained compared to the megabucks Brownhills spend on shows and advertising?

Hear all see all say nowt and buy elsewhere is more effective and quite satisfying too.

Hi Gill. Please don,t take offense at my reply, but the problems you have highlighted, whether its a new or second hand van, seem a regular feature on these forums.

This only my opinion and I do take into account your disability, but whenever we buy a new van we make sure that everything functions as it should and that any extras stipulated are also included before payment is made.

Whether it takes half a hour or half a day, until we are satisfied that we are getting what we have paid for then that van stays on the forecourt.

Dealers will promise you the world with regards to after sales service and customer satisfaction, but simply making sure for yourselves can save a lot of worry and frustration and considering the amounts of money involved with some of these vans, for us at least, this is the only way it should be done.

Guest starspirit

I agree with Howie - that's a first then - and we always stay a few nights at or near the dealer with a new van and get any issues sorted there and then.

As Brownhills have a free overnight parking facility (a bit noisy at night) perhaps you could go there, if you have the time, and focus their attention on your plight as a politely but loudly vociferous customer in the showroom does tend to get their attention quite quickly.

starspirit - 2007-03-26 11:25 PM

Yeah Howie and like Warners will be interested in the few of us that complained compared to the megabucks Brownhills spend on shows and advertising?

Hear all see all say nowt and buy elsewhere is more effective and quite satisfying too.

So what else do you suggest then Richard. If no one is prepared to stand up and make a protest then no one knows there is a problem and you deserve exactly what you get.

Inconsiderate behaviour is one of my pet hates, and if I felt strongly enough about it I would kick up such a fuss that even if nothing was done it would at least give food for thought for those in authority.

Fed up with all this serious stuff Richard. Empty the bedpan and off to sleep for me.

If your really serious about getting a van conversion then let me know on another thread and as a world authority on such matters i,ll pass on my vast knowledge and expertise on such matters entirely free of charge.

(^)

Hey You lot dont forget me ...............I AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU ........haha..

Downhills oops sorry naughty word might be deleted ....

go back moan those who shout the loudest in reception usually get taken care of ...... but I warn you after a few days swimming your skins wrinkley ?

but if your up for it have a lovely swim ....youhad better take 3 costumes each hahah.......

Archived