No Deal.....No Food

Bulletguy

Leading retail bosses, including the chief executives of Sainsbury’s, Asda, Marks & Spencer, the Co-op and Waitrose, have written to the government warning of significant disruption to food supplies in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

It will put inevitable pressure on food prices from higher transport costs, currency devaluation and tariffs.

£120 billion quids worth of food per year, 500 truck loads an hour every day, 25% of UK-EU trade......and that's just at Eurotunnel.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/28/no-deal-brexit-price-rises-retailers-sainsburys-asda-ms-coop

Time this utter insanity was brought to an end and commonsense restored before we end up as a third world country with shop shelves looking like this.

BrexiShop01.jpg.833b530110af4738997181ff7d281a99.jpg

BrexiShop02.jpg.864f1d1abd7438ff7046b9a668fc8593.jpg

BrexiShop03.jpg.8cdfeba14d75f618025d820f5986a39a.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the "new scare a day" campaign is still growing strong. :D

We should run a book and see who can come up with tomorrows scare story. :-D

The BBC 6 o'clock news gave it a fair bit of exposure and a teeny weeny bit of time to hear from the people who thought it would be good news (from Farmers especially). More excellent neutral reporting from the BBC. :D

747 - 2019-01-28 10:54 PM

The BBC 6 o'clock news gave it a fair bit of exposure and a teeny weeny bit of time to hear from the people who thought it would be good news (from Farmers especially). More excellent neutral reporting from the BBC. :D

Just remember not to come whining on here about rising costs.

747 - 2019-01-28 11:54 PMI see the "new scare a day" campaign is still growing strong. D

Remember the lead up to Y2K. The world would never be the same! No country or company wants to lose any business so my guess is that the potential for delays of freight at the border issue will be sorted very quickly.
The issue I see being top of the list to sort is the border in Ireland. I do not know the answer and I suspect no one else does. The last thing you want is violence but you need to take control of your border otherwise the whole exercise is futile. The way I see it if there is no hard border then you are inviting entry via the back door!  The only solution I can think of is to leave Ireland with a soft border but make entry from Nth & Sth Ireland to England, Scotland & Wales via a customs point. Not sure how the folk from Nth Ireland would feel about that but just maybe it could be a reasonable compromise.  Brexit is a fascinating issue as was our governments position on "offshore detention " of refugees. Cheers,

Geeco - 2019-01-29 4:28 AM
747 - 2019-01-28 11:54 PMI see the "new scare a day" campaign is still growing strong. D

Remember the lead up to Y2K. The world would never be the same! No country or company wants to lose any business so my guess is that the potential for delays of freight at the border issue will be sorted very quickly.
The issue I see being top of the list to sort is the border in Ireland. I do not know the answer and I suspect no one else does. The last thing you want is violence but you need to take control of your border otherwise the whole exercise is futile. The way I see it if there is no hard border then you are inviting entry via the back door!  The only solution I can think of is to leave Ireland with a soft border but make entry from Nth & Sth Ireland to England, Scotland & Wales via a customs point. Not sure how the folk from Nth Ireland would feel about that but just maybe it could be a reasonable compromise.  Brexit is a fascinating issue as was our governments position on "offshore detention " of refugees. Cheers,
The only real solution to the NI border is staying in the Customs Union and Single Market (or staying in the EU full stop). What I find hilarious is the ERG and big Brexiteers for two years kept banging on about how easy it would be resolve with technology but are now throwing their toys out of the pram over the backstop which is odd as surely once they have delivered this fantastic technological solution there would be no need for the backstop. Caught with their pants down over that one as it never existed and likely never will.As for Y2K I worked on that for two years as part of a steering group of 22 companies. Similar groups worked all over the world in preparation for it well in advance of the actual event which is probably why much of the chaos was avoided. If we had prepared for that like we have prepared for Brexit it probably would have been a disaster.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-28 10:26 PM

£120 billion quids worth of food per year, 500 truck loads an hour every day, 25% of UK-EU trade......and that's just at Eurotunnel.

More fake news Bullet *-) ...........500 trucks per hour?........Really? :D ........

1,693,462 trucks passed through the tunnel in 2018 so that's 4,639 a day or a 193 trucks an hour........

You Remoaners are deffo experts in exaggeration and Bullsh*t >:-) .........

https://www.getlinkgroup.com/uk/eurotunnel-group/operations/traffic-figures/

Well there's nothing from stopping these "scare" stories from being countered with all of the tangible, real world, good news that has come about *BECAUSE of Brexit (and not despite of it)....

..so....off you go...when you're ready........:-D

(Oh! and a tip- You can't just have stuff you've seen written on a bus, nor stuff that the likes of Boris Johnson and Farage have come out with...)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2019-01-29 8:57 AM

Well there's nothing from stopping these "scare" stories from being countered with all of the tangible, real world, good news that has come about *BECAUSE of Brexit (and not despite of it)....

(Oh! and a tip- You can't just have stuff you've seen written on a bus, nor stuff that the likes of Boris Johnson and Farage have come out with...)

Here you go ;-) ..........

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2019-01-29/tata-steel-restarts-blast-furnace-at-port-talbot/

There's plenty of good news out there Pepe in spite of Brexit........It's just that you sado Remoaners aren't interested in them because they don't pander to your doom & gloom agenda *-) ...........

So again (for those who struggle with reading and general comprehension)

"...good news that has come about *BECAUSE of Brexit (and not despite of it)."

That Port Talbot re-fit was happening anyway.

It wasn't happening because we were leaving the EU..

Their Chief Exec, Hans Fischer (ooer, sounds a bit foreign) said he was "really worried" about a possible hard Brexit.

quote- "If our customers are affected very heavily it leads to disturbance in the supply chain and so a disturbance in our production.

"In the short term, I'm really worried about it. I hope we get a last-minute deal and not a hard Brexit."

I know it's the way some Leavers like to operate...but they can't have things both ways

They can't dismiss company relocations as having nothing at all to do with us leaving the EU one minute and then the next, claim that a company that is already here, IS here due to us leaving. *-)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2019-01-29 10:16 AM

Their Chief Exec, Hans Fischer (ooer, sounds a bit foreign) said he was "really worried" about a possible hard Brexit.

quote- "If our customers are affected very heavily it leads to disturbance in the supply chain and so a disturbance in our production.

"In the short term, I'm really worried about it. I hope we get a last-minute deal and not a hard Brexit."

I know it's the way some Leavers like to operate...but they can't have things both ways

They can't dismiss company relocations as having nothing at all to do with us leaving the EU one minute and then the next, claim that a company that is already here, IS here due to us leaving. *-)

According to our local BBC news a couple of weeks ago holiday bookings in the South West are up 40% on this time last year.......Because of Brexit >:-) ..........

! The only solution I can think of is to leave Ireland with a soft border but make entry from Nth & Sth Ireland to England, Scotland & Wales via a customs point. Not sure how the folk from Nth Ireland would feel about that but just maybe it could be a reasonable compromise.  

Simples enough to accept forms of ID other than a passport for UK citizens and have three lanes at every entry point to UK mainland - one for UK citizens, one for EU citizens and one for others.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2019-01-29 11:08 AM

! The only solution I can think of is to leave Ireland with a soft border but make entry from Nth & Sth Ireland to England, Scotland & Wales via a customs point. Not sure how the folk from Nth Ireland would feel about that but just maybe it could be a reasonable compromise.  

Simples enough to accept forms of ID other than a passport for UK citizens and have three lanes at every entry point to UK mainland - one for UK citizens, one for EU citizens and one for others.

Never used the ferry to NI, but I should imagine they still require proof of who you are before you're allowed to board?........which would be a passport would it not? ;-) ............

If business takes notice of our bitter remain politicians , remain business leaders , BofE remain Govenor and MSM campaign to trash leaving then obviously business is going to be very wary to invest ... Surely thats common sense ... If as I hope and we leave with a no deal and as I and others suspect that the world wont crash in then business will invest ... Success or failure one things for sure the likes of you wont be happy either way

pelmetman - 2019-01-29 11:19 AM

Never used the ferry to NI, but I should imagine they still require proof of who you are before you're allowed to board?........which would be a passport would it not? ;-) ............

We've flown to Belfast and back and the airport security at each end was very tight. We have passports so it was no problem for us but for UK citizens travelling within the UK why should they need to buy a passport when there may well be far less expensive ways of estabishing who you are by photocard - driving licence, bas pass, even library card?

pelmetman - 2019-01-29 9:04 AM

Here you go ;-) ..........

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2019-01-29/tata-steel-restarts-blast-furnace-at-port-talbot/

There's plenty of good news out there Pepe in spite of Brexit........It's just that you sado Remoaners aren't interested in them because they don't pander to your doom & gloom agenda *-) ...........

Was this Brexit related?????

pelmetman - 2019-01-29 8:42 AM

Bulletguy - 2019-01-28 10:26 PM

More fake news Bullet *-) ...........500 trucks per hour?........Really? :D ........

1,693,462 trucks passed through the tunnel in 2018 so that's 4,639 a day or a 193 trucks an hour........

You Remoaners are deffo experts in exaggeration and Bullsh*t >:-) .........

https://www.getlinkgroup.com/uk/eurotunnel-group/operations/traffic-figures/

Great link........turns out the trade percentage is even more than reported at 26% And that's without counting the numbers going through Dover and Immingham ports which takes three times the amount of Dover port.

You Brexsh1tters are really sh1tting yourselves over your "win" going down the pan. (lol)(lol)

I think you'll have a long wait on that one!

NHS boss Simon Stevens told 'em.

Now all we need is have Brexit voters branded to ensure they're at the back of any NHS queue and not the front, that way they 'pay' for their foolhardiness. ;-)

pelmetman - 2019-01-29 10:29 AM

According to our local BBC news a couple of weeks ago holiday bookings in the South West are up 40% on this time last year.......Because of Brexit >:-) ..........

Jaywick "Riviera"? :-|

Bulletguy - 2019-01-29 4:04 PM

Jaywick "Riviera"? :-|

Good news for the South West hoteliers and campsites I guess if bookings really are up 40%, I assume that perhaps other UK holiday spot bookings will also be up then. Not so good news if your trying to get there when those roads get gridlocked normally anyway but with 40% extra traffic? Best not take your motorhome then. Looks like next summer might be a bit crowded here in the UK and no escape to mainland Europe in your van if these queues that are predicted prove anywhere near true and then there is the predicted further fall in the exchange rate, rise in fuel prices and cost of everything when you get there, different driving licence requirements for different countries, 90 day limit, no EHIC card. I bet loads of motorhomers dont bother. Skeggy will be bursting!

We can look forward to the return of Kiss me quick hats, Green Flares, Party 7 cans of "ale", saucy post cards and sitting in the pissing rain with a hanky on your head on a crowded beach next to a freezing North sea! Lovely. Those migrants that are coming here want to hang onto those rubber dinghies they will be worth a fortune come the holidays.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

So you're now deciding on Wales in preference to Spain, Dave?

Brian Kirby - 2019-01-29 5:21 PM

So you're now deciding on Wales in preference to Spain, Dave?

With climate change they will soon be growing such delicacies as lettuce and tomatoes in Wales, followed by a lovely sparkling wine direct from the leek orchards!

Tracker - 2019-01-29 11:08 AM

It might work if very carefully promoted so that the DUP didn't notice. Not quite sure how that could be done, but doubtless you'll explain! :-D

But, if they did notice, and because they have already vehemently dismissed the idea of a border down the Irish Sea (which is what it would create), it wouldn't pass the "Theresa May / DUP confidence and supply agreement continuance requirements", so POP goes the government's majority.

General election anyone? :-D As I keep saying, be careful what you wish for!

Archived