No Second Referendum

antony1969

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things change. May and the Tories have cocked it up. It became Labour policy at their conference to back a second vote if they couldnt get an election and / or a deal that met their tests. Im surprised Jezza has come off the fence mind as Im sure he is a Brexiteer but then again its a party policy so whether he is or not, they committed to back it.

Its still a long way off happening though but if it does my bet is it will be Mays deal or remain which is what the Peoples Vote have suggested from the off to confirm the deal negotiated (or remain)

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-02-26 7:51 AM

You seem to have missed the fact that it has already been said that remain will be on the ballot and with no deal ruled out. So it will be May's deal or remain.

Who told you that? ;-) ...........Corbyn :D ........

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-02-26 8:22 AM

Oh and it will be a binding referendum not a advisory one. The result will be binding, like the all Irish one that led to the GFA.

Well you better get more than 52% of the vote >:-) ...........

pelmetman - 2019-02-26 8:34 AM

Oh and it will be a binding referendum not a advisory one. The result will be binding, like the all Irish one that led to the GFA.

I'm confident we will, now the leavers will know exactly what they're voting for and not some vague promises.

The impact assessments of May's deal and no deal are published today, the ones the government tried to suppress again, more clarification for everyone to make a informed decision at the ballot box.

If No Deal is to be shortly ruled out how could it then become an option if it goes to a Peoples Vote? There is no way Parliament would allow it. No Deal is going to disappear probably and there will almost certainly be an extension now. According to the DM she is about to do a U turn as more Tory MPs and ministers threaten to resign. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6744547/Theresa-set-RULE-No-Deal-Brexit.html

Its going to be an interesting few days although knowing May she will find some way to kick the can down the road again and it will be another damp squib.

If there is a referendum and its still a big if its going to be Mays deal or remain I reckon. I can see why some Brexiteers would be unhappy and feel betrayed with that but its peoples jobs and lives we are talking about here and the massive hit to the economy and I dont think Parliament will allow it.

simplest breakdown I've seen as to where we currently are, from Robert Peston

HUGE shift in Theresa May’s brexit policy today:

May will DROP ‘no deal’.

She has gone from “My Deal or No Deal” to just ‘“my Deal.”

May will hold a vote to take ‘no deal’ OFF the table - if her deal, fails to pass again on March 12th.

If Corbyn’s compromised deal also fails to pass through parliament, May will have to EXTEND article 50 - as leaving with no deal would no longer be an option (most MPs are guaranteed to vote to take no deal off the table - it is about all there is a majority for in the House of Commons right now)

At that point, Labour will table amendment to go back to the people for some direction on what to do.

If THAT fails to pass the House of Commons, as it did in January, (remember, most MPs represent constituencies who voted Leave) then we are stuck floating along with no deal, with an extension to article 50 and no options.

So May would either have to call a general election, or go back to the EU and somehow negotiate a different magical deal that everyone can somehow agree on.

antony1969 - 2019-02-26 6:24 AM

Go on Diane ...

... The manifesto they ran on was a lie ... Remember lies ??? Those whingers dont like lies , well some lies

The idea that the losers of an election should be held to their manifesto pledges is, to say the least, interesting. Labour are responding to where we are now, the position that the Tories manifesto pledges has put us in.

The odds are getting better - in Sky News interview "Former UKIP leader @Nigel_Farage says he would refuse to vote and campaign if a second referendum gives the options of the PM's deal or remaining in the EU. "

He says instead he'll go "on holiday". "

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/nigel-farage-on-sky-news-talks-peoples-vote-1-5906630

He also says that the their would have to be a minimum turnout for the vote to have any validity and concedes that the first referendum should have had a similar rule - which it wouldn't have passed!

Of course his voting record is pretty piss poor, the only thing he voted on in all his years as a MEP was to keep pensions for MEPs for countries that left the EU.

So will you be joining him and vetoing the vote?

Fast Pat - 2019-02-26 12:05 PM

The odds are getting better - in Sky News interview "Former UKIP leader @Nigel_Farage says he would refuse to vote and campaign if a second referendum gives the options of the PM's deal or remaining in the EU. "

He says instead he'll go "on holiday". "

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/nigel-farage-on-sky-news-talks-peoples-vote-1-5906630

He also says that the their would have to be a minimum turnout for the vote to have any validity and concedes that the first referendum should have had a similar rule - which it wouldn't have passed!

Of course his voting record is pretty piss poor, the only thing he voted on in all his years as a MEP was to keep pensions for MEPs for countries that left the EU.

So will you be joining him and vetoing the vote?

The same bloke who told the media pre-referendum if it was 48-52 to Remain he'd see it as "unfinished business" and call for a second vote. He's on record stating that and again recently calling for a second vote on national tv.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2018/jan/11/nigel-farage-backs-second-brexit-referendum-video

Where is he going "on holiday"? Brexiteers seem to like running off to Spain and claiming fake "residency". (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-02-26 8:42 AM

I'm confident we will, now the leavers will know exactly what they're voting for and not some vague promises.

The impact assessments of May's deal and no deal are published today, the ones the government tried to suppress again, more clarification for everyone to make a informed decision at the ballot box.

I guess we'll have to wait and see ;-) ...........I suspect the first test of public opinion will be on the 26th of May >:-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2019-02-27 8:47 AM

If there is a snap election and Labour win, do we then get a “second” vote?

If the UK votes for Corbyn....... I'm outer there 8-) ..........

The Brexit affect on the UK economy we'll seem like a boom by comparison to a Communist government >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-02-27 10:02 AM

The Brexit affect on the UK economy we'll seem like a boom by comparison to a Communist government >:-) ..........

You are already "outer there". Blimey though you must really think Corbyn is crap if you think he will damage the economy more than Brexit will. Are you finally acknowledging though the possibility that Brexit could lead to a Corbyn government? Something you and Bracket laughed at me for suggesting it could for some time I believe.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-02-27 10:12 AM

pelmetman - 2019-02-27 10:02 AM

You are already "outer there". Blimey though you must really think Corbyn is crap if you think he will damage the economy more than Brexit will. Are you finally acknowledging though the possibility that Brexit could lead to a Corbyn government? Something you and Bracket laughed at me for suggesting it could for some time I believe.

If there is another referendum.....and Brexit is thwarted.....then the UK deserves a Corbyn government >:-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-02-27 8:03 PM

Corbyn is for 5 years max, Brexit is forever. I'd hold my nose and take that risk.

I've had to hold mine for 40+ years Brian ;-) ..........

You get used to it after a while :D ......

pelmetman - 2019-02-27 8:21 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-02-27 8:03 PM

Corbyn is for 5 years max, Brexit is forever. I'd hold my nose and take that risk.

I've had to hold mine for 40+ years Brian ;-) ..........

You get used to it after a while :D ......

So, as you're avoiding this in the other thread, we'll try here.......""what has the EU done over the past 45 years that you (as a Brexiteer) fundamentally disagree with, or that disadvantages you in some way?"

Archived