Off Topic

Guest starspirit

Guest starspirit

There are some grumbles about going off topic on here.

When conducting a normal conversation don't you find that the talk often veers off and then back on subject as people's thoughts digress?

Is there anything wrong with that?

Does it not stimulate a wider thought process?

Life sure would be dull if conversation were limited to just one subject without room for humour and digression (is that a real word?)

What do you think?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a problem with going "off topic" per se as long as it is related to the subject heading. I do find threads that veer dramatically away from the original topic and then meander around a variety of obscure minutiae rather boring though. I have gone "off topic" myself but I do usually try to bring it back to the original subject.

D.

Guest starspirit
Agreed - so as long as someone remembers to politely point us back in the right direction now again all should be well in the ranks?

It's not so much straying off topic that bothers me but when people start a new topic which might have been of interest.

Ie: If I was to start a thread here telling everyone about my guaranteed formula for winning the lottery it would be missed by those who weren't interested in the subject of "Off Topic" Thus I would be the only winner this week. (Only fair really )

I've found the various remarks about people's pictures difficult to follow when they could have been more easily found under Michelle's topic of "Photos"

But on the other hand, who gives a ****? :-S

Going off topic is unforgivable.

I,ve managed to tax the van over the net, but as a active campaigner for keeping local Post Offices open i,m might now be considered a hypocrite. Beats queing up in all weathers, but it still bothers me. :-(

Guest starspirit

So Ralph, we all know about Howie but are you the policeman or the lunatic of that is not going too far off topic but then again as someone whose name I 've forgotten said off topic is on topic init?

starspirit - 2007-01-23 8:21 PM

So Ralph, we all know about Howie but are you the policeman or the lunatic of that is not going too far off topic but then again as someone whose name I 've forgotten said off topic is on topic init?

Well I don't have a pointed hat so I guess I must be the other one. At least I am now...

Mel B - 2007-01-23 8:48 PM

starspirit - 2007-01-23 10:55 AM

The dear old mod seems to have removed my thread 'is it me' but meanwhile guys, many thanks for your support.

Just proved your point then - it was you! :->

Sorry Mel, but Richards paranoia is something we should address with sympathy and understanding.

As a youngster, I suffered from a terrible inferiority complex. It was only after many sessions with the phc psyci quack, that the reason for this condition was discovered. I was inferior. :-(

Ralph - 2007-01-23 7:51 PM

Sorry Howie but as the topic is "Off Topic" then I'm afraid that you are actually "On Topic" by talking about anything other than "Off Topic"

I think I'll just have a nice lie down after that piece of logic...

Hi Ralph. I know the topic is off topic but to say my topic was on topic was wrong as my topic had nothing to do with Richards topic which referred to people going off topic but my topic has no connection with the original topic so therefore it was off topic.

More than occasionally i,m afraid Peter.

Seeing as any topic is allowed on this topic, perhaps you or someone else could offer me some advice on car insurance.

My Stepmum is in hospital at the moment, and unfortunately she may be there for quite a while. Her car tax and mot are up next month and neither her insurance or mine covers me for driving it.

What would be the best way for me to get cover. Should I get my name on her policy as a named driver, or take out my own as this may be more than short term. All free advice welcomed.

Howie get yourself on as a named driver I'm on Maggie's as a named driver only because we had a pub, they added a premium  to the insurance if i took it out in my name guilty before the event of drink driving they all said.

PS I do like your beard I.L.M.U.O. 8-)  8-)

Hi Wayne. Getting myself as a named driver does seem the easiest option over the short term, but to be honest, I cannot see my Stepmum ever useing the car again so it will come down to either selling it or keeping it for myself.

I don,t really need a car, or the the expence of running it, but it was bought by my Father in 1989 shortly before his death and it does have a lot of sentimental value.

The car in question is a Ford Fiesta with only 36k on the clock, full Ford service history and like brand new as it rarely came out of the garage. You must have seen the advert "One elderly lady driver, only used for shopping", well this is it.

I doubt if its worth more than a few hundred pounds, and as I say, its means a lot more to me, so i,ll give it a bit of thought and let you know what I come up with.

Forester - 2007-01-24 11:30 AM

Where's the picture gone! I thought that was the best on here!. Strip the car if you have the time and sell the parts you will get more that way.

Sorry about the picture Wayne but I was getting fed up with it. Send me another of yourself and try and make it a decent one.

This idea of stripping my Stepmums car and selling the parts while she,s in hospital has it,s merits, along with grave robbing and selling the kids into slavery.

Everythings been resolved now as my local garage has agreed to bring the car under their own insurance and trade plates in for the mot. At least this gives me a bit of time to think things over.

Notice your "what makes you happy thread" is dying a death after half a dozen postings, and your "what annoys you" is now on page 7. This only confirms what i,ve always thought, that all the miserable buggers end up on this forum. ;-)

Guest starspirit

Get yourself added as a named driver that way the premium should not go up by much, if at all, and as a named driver you should then be earning NCD under your own name so that if and when you want to take over the car yourself you will at least have some NCD to your name.

You can of course do the same thing on your own car insurance but many insurers will not add a car to a van policy so you might have to start a new annual policy from scratch.

No problem as long as your driving has been better than your message writing but it will probably cost more this way, although some insurers do give discount for a second vehicle as well as the same discount when the first vehicle insurance is due for renewal.

My 15 years with the Prudential ended in1992 but the principles are still largely the same.

Howie,

That piccy of wayne is discusting you really ought to tell him next time you see him . I do think it nice of you to display for him though ,really thoughtful of you . I will send you the real one of Wayne perhaps that is why he sent you that earlier one ? Perhaps he thinks he looks better in that one personally I think he looks better in the one he sent me .

I don't know Sorry back to the Topic what was it . Oh that's it the Topic !

the Topic being what anyone want's to discuss on Chatterbox ...Yes quite agree Rich correct after all we would discuss any topic if we were to meet?

Now there's another Topic one which I think should be thorougly explored a meet . who's offering who has a big enough field how many takers.

Should we all meet . get drunk one night cause a riot talk about campers caravans camping m/h sex drug's & rock& roll music politic's.tow bars MAM's

Anything goes.....Everyone invited all with the same friendly welcome .

New topic should we all meet ?Would that spoil the fun ?

Sorry off your original topic ...just can't help it ;-) sending photo of Wayne

howie ... I think we had better not meet Ithought he looked like Freddie mercury ? I think Vixter has a lot to answer for getting us all started on this photo phaze I think wayne will wished he had a Dog after you see his photo.....Ps Only jesting wayne all in good fun.Howie still sending Photo though....Te He ( Ok Emails gone what you done to it put it back now how dare you I like to pester you .... (lol)

off Topic again come on Lad's go help lee with his Tow bar Question ...Sorry what a bossy cow.

Guest starspirit

Howie,

I really must disagree with you - you cantankerous old codger.

How dare you say that only miserable old buggers end up on here.

I can't think of ANY miserable old buggers on here - can you?

Sorry about the "miserable buggers" Richard, but this was a private conversation between myself and Wayne and this might teach you not to eavesdrop in future.

Going back to the car ins. I didn,t think I would get any n.c.b. by being a named driver so this makes this option sound better, although i,m coming round to the idea of keeping the car and i.ll look into third party fire and theft as well which should.nt amount to much on a car this old and value.

Strange to see your thread removed, and another unsolved mystery with just a hint of skulldudgery if you ask me.

Hi Michele. Nice to see you back and lets hope for better days ahead.

Having Wayne send you a picture for you to downsize and put on your posting sounds a good idea, and if its only for a limited time, then at least we will all see what he looks like.

This suggestion that we all get together, get drunk and cause a riot, plus sex, drugs and rock and roll doesn,t really appeal to me as this is what I get up to most nights of the week. What I really fancy is something entirely different, so get your thinking cap on and lets see what you come up with.

*-) *-) ;-)

Archived