Ok the next show

michele

1) When is it where is it sorry so out of touch tired worn out

2) who's going

3) apologies cant keep up been so exhausted

4) do you book in advance can anyone go

5) straight answers please

6) lets all meet in the pub tent wearing a rediculos MMM sticker on our backs that the MOds might NOT help with younever know

7) lets get drunk and have a laugh

8) who's up for it depending on if and when and if s uits people's programme

9) up to you all

10 ) body language we could have a laugh see how beautiful we all are .. :D :D :D no one comes back to mine where all off to Franks to tell his wife about all these pm's he's getting te he.

Guest peter
HI michele. It's Peterborough in April and you can pre-book on here as it's run by Warners (MMM). Were going and are up for a meet with anybody else that's going.

We will be at Peterborough. I was hoping to have a stand but the event organisers (exhibition management) would only let me trade with a few items because a lot of what I do is already covered by other traders. Where Sat TV is concerned I can accept this as there are plenty of traders dealing with it but there are only two other traders exhibiting who do cruise control so why not let me have that one? They even said that if I were already a trader at their exhibitions this policy would be protecting my interest! I pointed out that as they wouldn't let me exhibit anything meaningful this policy was actually doing exactly the opposite to me and depriving the punters (that's you lot) of fair choice.

Oh well, I'll just have to spend the weekend getting drunk and abusing people as usual >:-) >:-)

D.

Guest starspirit

Restriction of trade and thereby competition is a disgrace Dave and might even be illegal?

Perhaps we should all boycott Warner's shows in protest?

Its not illegal for them to do this Richard, they run the show, they own the show, they can "invite" (their terminology) whoever they want or deny anyone they want. Whatever though, I'll live and anyway, next month I'm going to be so busy I'll be in need of a rest by then :-) :-) .

D.

Guest peter
Dave Newell - 2007-03-22 9:08 AM

We will be at Peterborough. I was hoping to have a stand but the event organisers (exhibition management) would only let me trade with a few items because a lot of what I do is already covered by other traders. Where Sat TV is concerned I can accept this as there are plenty of traders dealing with it but there are only two other traders exhibiting who do cruise control so why not let me have that one? They even said that if I were already a trader at their exhibitions this policy would be protecting my interest! I pointed out that as they wouldn't let me exhibit anything meaningful this policy was actually doing exactly the opposite to me and depriving the punters (that's you lot) of fair choice

Oh well, I'll just have to spend the weekend getting drunk and abusing people as usual >:-) >:-)

D.

.So only one make of Motorhome allowed to exhibit then Dave?.

Absolutely with you on this, Dave.

Although I do know it is not just Warners who operate this practice.

It is a common policy with many Event organisers.

We have friends who have exhibited at other Peterborough Shows, for years and have been "deselected" this year, for no explained reason. (not a Warners event)

There may be one redeeming factor, which is that I understand there is a loss of area at Peterborough this year due to works being undertaken at the showground.

Having said that if it is the cause, it would have been courteous of the to explained so.

Flicka

we used to go to the shows and visit the crusty pie man from shelf, apparently he just got discontinued one year as well - no reason given.

I note the current C&CC mag is offering reduced tickets 2 for £10 instead of £13. Presume anyone who wants one as got one??

B-)

Guest Frank Wilkinson

There's nothing illegal or immoral in such a policy. It's called good estate management. In a shopping centre for instance the owners will only allow a certain number of retailers who trade in a particular commodity to be in a particular location. If I'm paying enormous rents to a landlord it is not unreasonable that I expect him to ensure that he doesn't let the next-door site to a rival in the same business.

There's no restriction on trade in that my rival is allowed to trade in other parts of town or even in a different part of the shopping complex if it's big enough.

Traders at shows pay a lot of money for their sites. If they don't do business then they won't return and everyone loses. How would you feel if you'd paid thousands of pounds for a hot dog franchise at a show and the owners allowed three more hot dog stalls within a few yards?

This practice is considered good governance on the part of retail developers and is no different from franchisers like MacDonald's ensuring that a franchisee gets an area to himself.

Again, how would you feel if you'd paid possibly a quarter of a million to set up a popular franchise operation and another one was allowed to open fifty yards away?

All of this bleating about fair trade and immoral practices comes mainly from people who've probably never taken a risk in their lives. Try second-mortgaging your home to set up a business and then think again about whether or not businessmen are just as entitled to some sort of reasonable order in their trading conditions.

Oh dear got to agree with Frank on this one Im afraid, apart from the fact Dave was willing to just do the things that were not repeated on other stands.

I used to make Handcrafted cards, anyone who goes to shows and fairs will have no doubt come across many of them. There would be times I could turn up to a place having paid in advance and find hoards of others all doing the self same thing. In one show there where only around 40 stalls in a small village, in those 11 of us did handmade cards, needless to say our money and time were wasted and we didn't return when sent an invite for the following year.

I get the feeling Dave understands this though but just a little peeved with the fact they won't even waiver for someone who promotes their shows so well and has been a great supporter of theirs in the past, and is willing to compromise with them over goods he is willing to sell.

Anyway with all the dosh he makes from here and MMM who needs 1 show, enjoy the drink and the abuse I say !!!

Mandy

Thanks guys, yes Frank and A&M are correct I's just a bit peeved that they consider two businesses doing cruise control to be enough while there are at least nine businesses exhibiting satellite TV. I can also only find one business listed that sell thatcham approved alarm systems. Any way, its their show, they can do what they like. Say lavvie!

I'm not bitter, that's the beer, D.

Yacks on here the tickets are £31 big difference to a tenner A!.

Anyway would like to go for the wholeweekend that would be nice but might only end up making it for the day?.

And where will you all be parked.? I Know as far away from me as possible.

Frank take your wellies the Canal Du Midi is near :D

Hi Michele,

I'm not sure where we'll be parked as we're in the MMM press parking area. That might sound a bit posh but can be the dirtiest, boggiest corner that they can't charge anyone for. Besides which there's lots of building work going on at the showground apparently so we've probably all been moved from where we were last year. Anyway just keep your eyes peeled for a good looking hunk and you'll find...................................someone other than me probably. As you know I'm the George Clooney/Terry Wogan lookalike (lol) (lol) .

D.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Supertractorman - 2007-03-24 1:48 PM Sounds as though this show is not worth visiting if there are only a few restricted stands, there probably is not the competition on prices either. David

Why do you assume that? This show is no different from any others in that every single professional event organiser limits the number of traders for the obvious reasons that I've stated above.

I repeat again, traders pay a lot of money for their stand and if they cannot do a reasonable amount of business then it's pointless them going. It's not rocket science for God's sake!

As Dave Newell pointed out there will be a number of people allowed to sell satellite TV systems because they, presumably, are a fairly high-volume product. Cruise-control fitting however is a low-volume product so to be fair to the traders the organiser only allows two or three dealers who fit cruise control.

And of course there's competition. There are competitors on the day, maybe only one or two for some products but more for others. And there's the competition from traders who aren't at the show. Do you really think that people are prepared to pay more than they would normally just because they're buying at a show?

What is it about some people who scream 'rip off' without thinking about simple and obvious reasons for something such as this?

Its all about balance as far as I can see, a balance of how many stalls are permitted to sell certain items so that the shows don't get swamped with lots of stalls selling the same stuff and therefore no choice for the paying public. This of course goes hand in hand with making sure that the stall holders themselves get a fair crack at being able to complete reasonably, ie not up against masses of others doing the same things. I would imagine that getting the balance just right isn't always that easy.

As for Peterborough specifically, there is going to be some disruption to the show area due to the building works that are going on there, whether this is part of the reason for the restrictions this year, ie to keep the number of traders to a reduced number due to less stall space, or whether it is just coincidental we'll only find out by going.

Archived