On line sales tax........

Guest pelmetman

Customers vote with their feet

If they vote to shop at the supermarket or online instead of the High Street why should they be penalised?

Just so the rentier Tory landlords keep getting their rent.

Why not turn un needed shops into much needed homes?

Why do we only have free enterprise free market when it suits the Tory rentiers?

I can remember shopping before supermarkets and online and it was a miserable experience.

Little choice, poor quality, high prices.

Shoppers have never had it so good because they no longer depend on high street shops.

Why should we go back to that so high street landlords like the Royal Family and Duke of Westminster get their rent?

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2021-02-18 6:25 PM

If they vote to shop at the supermarket or online instead of the High Street why should they be penalised?

Why do we only have free enterprise free market when it suits the Tory rentiers?

How do you think the EU will fill their Supadoupa black hole now that they haven't got us Brits to pour our dosh into it??? (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

John52 - 2021-02-18 6:29 PM

I can remember shopping before supermarkets and online and it was a miserable experience.

Shoppers have never had it so good because they no longer depend on high street shops.

Why should we go back to that so high street landlords like the Royal Family and Duke of Westminster get their rent?

Because you have swapped it for an on line royal family paying little or no taxes.

pelmetman - 2021-02-18 6:31 PM

How do you think the EU will fill their Supadoupa black hole now that they haven't got us Brits to pour our dosh into it??? (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

You still are pouring your dosh into it

Remember the divorce settlement you weren't going to pay *-)

And for a bonus the EU is getting all the UK industries moving over there.

jumpstart - 2021-02-18 6:41 PM

Because you have swapped it for an on line royal family paying little or no taxes.

at least we are getting good value etc

John52 - 2021-02-18 7:15 PM

Mostly from China....good value ..No.

jumpstart - 2021-02-18 7:20 PM

Shoppers must think so or they wouldn't keep buying it.

Thats their choice, and they should be allowed to decide where to spend their own money.

Not forced back to high street shops to benefit their rentier landlords. >:-)

This Government has an extremely poor record in getting value for money

So they should not be telling us where to shop >:-)

John52 - 2021-02-19 7:19 AM

jumpstart - 2021-02-18 7:20 PM

Shoppers must think so or they wouldn't keep buying it.

Thats their choice, and they should be allowed to decide where to spend their own money.

Not forced back to high street shops to benefit their rentier landlords. >:-)

This Government has an extremely poor record in getting value for money

So they should not be telling us where to shop >:-)

Where exactly are the Government telling you where to shop.

You are obviously happy to swap high Street landlords for internet landlords who pay little in tax.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2021-02-18 7:14 PM

pelmetman - 2021-02-18 6:31 PM

You still are pouring your dosh into it

Remember the divorce settlement you weren't going to pay *-)

And for a bonus the EU is getting all the UK industries moving over there.

Once the bill is paid that's it B-) .........

Who are the EU going to find to replace our dosh so that they can afford to support basket case economies like yours? >:-) .........

Just askin (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

pelmetman - 2021-02-18 6:15 PM

I'm all for it B-) .........and I shop online :D .......

Anyway, back to the OP.

If it's deemed that VAT needs a shake up so that all retailers pay a 'fair' amount of tax then OK, although I'm not sure how you quantify that, but tax just to keep shops open and maintain ridiculously excessive high street property prices and rates, then no.

colin - 2021-02-22 2:05 PM

but tax just to keep shops open and maintain ridiculously excessive high street property prices and rates.

I think its the ridiculously excessive rents they are doing it for.

Rates just go to maintain local services.

So Sunak has already shown his willingness to cut Rates.

Wheras rents go down the black hole to Tory cronies in Her Majesty's Tax Havens.

So the Duke of Westminster can inherit a £10 billion windfall tax free.

John52 - 2021-02-22 3:43 PM

Remarkable how the Tory media focuses on Rates and ignores Rents.

They want us to subsidise poor tenant farmers so they can keep paying their Rents

And ignore most of the subsidy going to rich landowner farmers

I know, there should be extra tax on Motorhomes parking in the countryside to subsidise those poor tenant farmers.

jumpstart - 2021-02-22 3:59 PM

They want us to subsidise poor tenant farmers so they can keep paying their Rents

I know, there should be extra tax on Motorhomes parking in the countryside to subsidise those poor tenant farmers.

There is no point because as any tenant farmer will tell you, when their income goes up the rent goes up and the landed gentry get richer.

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2021-02-18 6:15 PM

I'm all for it B-) .........and I shop online :D .......

Anyway, back to the OP.

If it's deemed that VAT needs a shake up so that all retailers pay a 'fair' amount of tax then OK, although I'm not sure how you quantify that, but tax just to keep shops open and maintain ridiculously excessive high street property prices and rates, then no.

But the point is retailers in town centres dont pay a fair amount of tax :-| .........

They pay far more tax than online retailers ;-) ........

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2021-02-22 3:15 PM

pelmetman - 2021-02-22 9:51 AM

Who are the EU going to find to replace our dosh

They already have

All the English industries moving over there

(and here when you have paid for our tunnel to Ireland and we both join the EU :D )

Name one? ;-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2021-02-22 3:59 PM

Never met a poor farmer......tenanted or otherwise ;-) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-02-22 4:07 PM

They already have

(and here when you have paid for our tunnel to Ireland and we both join the EU :D )

Here are a few

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/the-digby-jones-index/

John52 - 2021-02-22 3:20 PM

but tax just to keep shops open and maintain ridiculously excessive high street property prices and rates.

I think its the ridiculously excessive rents they are doing it for.

Rates just go to maintain local services.

So Sunak has already shown his willingness to cut Rates.

Wheras rents go down the black hole to Tory cronies in Her Majesty's Tax Havens.

So the Duke of Westminster can inherit a £10 billion windfall tax free.

When I say 'high street property prices' that is by however you pay for them, be that buying a property, or paying rent. AFAIK all the freehold property owners have seen massive drops in the valuation of their portfolios, at the moment much of this is being blamed on CV-19, but most of it precedes it, sometime there needs to be a reckoning, same with rates, councils charge huge amounts on quite small shops.

A tax just to try and maintain town centres as a cash cow isn't on as far as I'm concerned, however a tax ,or more like rates, which ensures online sellers are paying a fair amount into the system without bumping up their prices to high street levels might work.

BTW some high street retailers have gone to landlords and said 'we need to pay lower rents or we are out of here', try doing that with a council over rates, a friend of mine decided to slowdown his business a couple of years back, he owns the property so has no rent to pay, but the rates have stayed the same and the council don't want ot know, he would have to sell up which would also mean selling his home which is attached.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-02-22 4:23 PM

pelmetman - 2021-02-22 4:07 PM

They already have

Here are a few

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/the-digby-jones-index/

He couldn't answer that......so ran off to hide in his safe space.

Archived