Overcrowded beaches

John52

Of course, large gatherings attract all sorts of people, good and bad, and nobody is trying to defend the bad ones

But Bournemouth Council Chief Nimby's comment was the most telling for me

"visitors who are behaving as though it’s a festival when they are not paying for the privilege.” *-)

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/26/the-atmosphere-was-ugly-bournemouth-aghast-beach-chaos

What she said was "there was a funding issue, too. “Small counties like Dorset with a small and poorly funded police force and two councils that have had huge funding gaps simply don’t have the resources to deal with visitors who are behaving as though it’s a festival when they are not paying for the privilege.”

I totally agree with her. She also has been campaigning for people to stay within their own areas and I totally agree with that also. There was no need to allow people to drive from one end of the country to the other if they just "feel like it". All its done is create chaos like this.

Why the hell should locals pick up the tab for this rabble? Its disgusting and its happening everywhere. People are like sheep and will flock to the same areas. Some are even doing it deliberately to annoy locals in beauty spots (There are actually people on Facebook plotting this).

I can only think its this government still deploying some kind of herd immunity strategy by stealth. How you can criticise this person and the people of Bournemouth is beyond me but then again its exactly what you did for months isnt it, put people at risk.

Barryd999 - 2020-06-27 8:46 AM

What she said was "there was a funding issue, too. “Small counties like Dorset with a small and poorly funded police force and two councils that have had huge funding gaps simply don’t have the resources to deal with visitors who are behaving as though it’s a festival when they are not paying for the privilege.”

I totally agree with her. She also has been campaigning for people to stay within their own areas and I totally agree with that also. There was no need to allow people to drive from one end of the country to the other if they just "feel like it". All its done is create chaos like this.

Why the hell should locals pick up the tab for this rabble? Its disgusting and its happening everywhere. People are like sheep and will flock to the same areas. Some are even doing it deliberately to annoy locals in beauty spots (There are actually people on Facebook plotting this).

I can only think its this government still deploying some kind of herd immunity strategy by stealth. How you can criticise this person and the people of Bournemouth is beyond me but then again its exactly what you did for months isnt it, put people at risk.

WEll it depends who the public beaches are for.

Are the public beaches just for the nimbys

Or are the public beaches for the public.

There were other nimby comments like closing the road to move them on somewhere else.

Bit it was the 'paying for the privelege' bit that was most telling.

In other words, if we were making money out of them it would be OK

John52 - 2020-06-27 9:05 AM

Why the hell should locals pick up the tab for this rabble?

Nobody should be picking up the tab because they shouldn't be leaving litter.

But there are laws to deal with littering which should be enforced.

Instead of using it as a pretext to ban everyone, good and bad, from visiting beauty spots that belong to them.

There were other nimby comments like closing the road to move them on somewhere else.

I Dont think that is what she meant at all regarding paying for the privilege. This kind of behaviour and numbers cannot be tolerated even if they were all spending money which presumably many were anyway in shops, takeaways etc.

I think only an idiot would now think that allowing people to travel unlimited distances for none essential travel was a good move. I keep asking this question but never get an answer. What would have been wrong in just allowing travel for say 25 miles from your postcode for leisure and none essential travel? More than far enough for everyone to get out to a nice spot in the country no matter where you live. I read that people were coming to Bournemouth from as far as Birmingham. There is nothing NIMBY about wanting to protect the lives of locals and having to deal with the aftermath which is not without risk in itself as well as protecting the area itself from destruction and vandalism.

Its impossible to close the beaches but its not impossible to set a limit for none essential travel with heavy fines if caught outside those areas without good reason. Also banning alcohol in public areas would make a massive difference and zero tolerance for any offenders especially drugs and whatever other sh1t they are doing (gas canisters FFS?).

Personally up here, I would like to see the army brought in (They were in Richmond). Shoot a few of them, that might focus them a bit.

Time you got over your Nimby paranoia and obsession with locals making money - in this case at least.

I'm sure locals would have all offered a tenner each for them to go away!

Don't concern yourself with Nimbys as you like to call them - it's selfish self-serving individuals like you, and all those throngs packed together on the beach that are a greater danger to the rest of society and any hope of controlling the virus.

Bournemouth beach and it's surrounding area would never be like this on an August Bank holiday, try to imagine what it's like to be living there when this sort of situation occurs.I would guess the locals find this very intimidating and frightening, especially when you consider the demographic of the population.

If you could think outside of your own selfish little bubble for just a moment, you might just find you'd react the same in those circumstances -

'Nimbyism' only exists in your bitter, and apparently resentful little world.

jumpstart - 2020-06-27 10:22 AM

That’s a lot of wishful dreaming... if you don’t want public on the public beach...close it. This was all inevitably once he gave the green light.

Exactly. And there is no way of controlling it now. Its got to be herd immunity by stealth. Basically Johnson has sentenced many vulnerable and elderly people to death by allowing this kind of thing to go on. I think there is little doubt that with half a million people being allowed to gather on a beach or for hordes to travel to tourist hot spots in areas with a vulnerable population that it will lead to a spike in cases and inevitably more deaths. It just wasn't necessary.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-06-28 10:10 AM

That’s a lot of wishful dreaming... if you don’t want public on the public beach...close it. This was all inevitably once he gave the green light.

Exactly. And there is no way of controlling it now. Its got to be herd immunity by stealth. Basically Johnson has sentenced many vulnerable and elderly people to death by allowing this kind of thing to go on. I think there is little doubt that with half a million people being allowed to gather on a beach or for hordes to travel to tourist hot spots in areas with a vulnerable population that it will lead to a spike in cases and inevitably more deaths. It just wasn't necessary.

More Barry Boris Bashing *-) ...........

The elderly are not stupid ;-) ..........

How many OAP's did you spot on Bournemouth's beach? :-S ......

Maybe their off spring might be stupid enough to infect their older relatives 8-) .........

It's high time the Snowflake generation took some responsibility for their own actions :-| ..........

Guest pelmetman
globebuster - 2020-06-27 10:22 AM

Bournemouth beach and it's surrounding area would never be like this on an August Bank holiday, try to imagine what it's like to be living there when this sort of situation occurs.I would guess the locals find this very intimidating and frightening, especially when you consider the demographic of the population.

Bournemouth copped it because the dual carriageway ends at Bournmouth ;-) .......

I'm no longer wishing for the A31 to be made dual carriageway to Weymouth anymore :D ..........

pelmetman - 2020-06-28 10:18 AM

Maybe their off spring might be stupid enough to infect their older relatives 8-) .........

It's high time the Snowflake generation took some responsibility for their own actions :-| ..........

You dont know much about how Covid is spread do you? We can assume that some of that half a million went into shops, bought stuff, maybe infected some of the local population on the beach or in the town, maybe infected the local people who had to clear up after them or arrest them. The Virus can stay on surfaces for up to a week. Its likely that its spread all over the town.

When Johnson allowed Cheltenham Festival to go ahead two weeks later the reported cases all over that region were huge.

The buck stops with Johnson. He is the one guiding us through this pandemic. He is the one that allowed people to travel any distance for leisure, he is the one that refused to lock down when everyone was screaming at him to do so when he was bragging about shaking hands etc and then nearly died of Coronavirus. Stop defending him. He is an idiot and is responsible for tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths (so far)

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-06-28 12:09 PM

You dont know much about how Covid is spread do you? We can assume that some of that half a million went into shops, bought stuff, maybe infected some of the local population on the beach or in the town, maybe infected the local people who had to clear up after them or arrest them. The Virus can stay on surfaces for up to a week. Its likely that its spread all over the town.

When Johnson allowed Cheltenham Festival to go ahead two weeks later the reported cases all over that region were huge.

The buck stops with Johnson. He is the one guiding us through this pandemic. He is the one that allowed people to travel any distance for leisure, he is the one that refused to lock down when everyone was screaming at him to do so when he was bragging about shaking hands etc and then nearly died of Coronavirus. Stop defending him. He is an idiot and is responsible for tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths (so far)

So does the buck stop with all those 1000's Liverpool supporters who danced the night away? 8-) ..........

Stop being a holier than thou A Hole ;-) ..........and get over Losing Brexit for once *-) ........

The fiasco at Bournemouth was utter madness with zero organisation so folk just pleased themselves. I found this short YT clip last night.....Benidorm Brits are in for a shock as they're going to have to book a space on the beach and face masks are obligatory until at their pre-booked spot!

On another note, over 450 people in the North East have been fined for breaking lockdown. Not Cummings though.....he has a free pass.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/more-450-people-fined-across-18502505#source=push

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-06-28 4:43 PM

The fiasco at Bournemouth was utter madness with zero organisation so folk just pleased themselves. I found this short YT clip last night.....Benidorm Brits are in for a shock as they're going to have to book a space on the beach and face masks are obligatory until at their pre-booked spot!

On another note, over 450 people in the North East have been fined for breaking lockdown. Not Cummings though.....he has a free pass.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/more-450-people-fined-across-18502505#source=push

Fortunately you Corbynites have a free pass to >:-) ............... back to your swamp (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

Time you got over your Nimby paranoia and obsession with locals making money - in this case at least.

Don't concern yourself with Nimbys as you like to call them - it's selfish self-serving individuals like you, and all those throngs packed together on the beach that are a greater danger to the rest of society and any hope of controlling the virus.

If you could think outside of your own selfish little bubble for just a moment, you might just find you'd react the same in those circumstances -

Hold on a minute

I wasn't in Bournemouth - and if I havd been I would have moved on somewhere less crowded.

That aside, what would it achieve by closing the road or putting a restriction on distance travelled.

Apart from keeping them away from Barnard Castle and make the problem worse somewhere else (lol)

John52 - 2020-06-28 7:48 PM

Hold on a minute

I wasn't in Bournemouth - and if I havd been I would have moved on somewhere less crowded.

That aside, what would it achieve by closing the road or putting a restriction on distance travelled.

Apart from keeping them away from Barnard Castle and make the problem worse somewhere else (lol)

Restricting nationwide travel would stop people from far and wide travelling to the same spots which is what they are doing. 25 miles would be enough for most people to lose themselves in the countryside and find somewhere for a picnic. Most of the yobs causing trouble in Richmond for example are from Middlesbrough. A town that has the worst record in the country for breaking lockdown rules. We dont want them here unless they can behave and follow the rules and they cant. Measures have been taken there though now such as banning alcohol and of course drugs of any kind but of course it remains to be seen if they can be policed when the next heat wave hits. Hopefully their s**tty Boro pubs will have opened by then so maybe they wont bother.

Bulletguy - 2020-06-28 4:43 PM

We have more than our fair share of morons in the North East sadly. Many of them were citing Cummings little jolly as an excuse for them to go and do what they please.

Just what is the attraction of driving many hours in order to just crowd in/onto the likes of Bournemouth and Durdle Door beaches? :-S

With the amount of footage we are getting from those areas, are we suppose to believe that they are only bits of coast that folk have headed to? (or are they just handy for the outside broadcast crew to access?...)

Either way, be it crowding onto busy beaches- or into busy shopping centres- or clogging up roads queueing at drive-thru McDonalds- or massing on the streets fo illegal street parties/raves- so much for the new, more careing, less selfish society that was talked of/hoped for, during lockdown! *-)

pepe63 - 2020-06-29 11:34 AM

Just what is the attraction of driving many hours in order to just crowd in/onto the likes of Bournemouth and Durdle Door beaches? :-S

With the amount of footage we are getting from those areas, are we suppose to believe that they are only bits of coast that folk have headed to? (or are they just handy for the outside broadcast crew to access?...)

Either way, be it crowding onto busy beaches- or into busy shopping centres- or clogging up roads queueing at drive-thru McDonalds- or massing on the streets fo illegal street parties/raves- so much for the new, more careing, less selfish society that was talked of/hoped for, during lockdown! *-)

No I dont see the attraction either. I would rather stick red hot needles in my eyes that participate in that. I always liked a bit of solitude and more than ever since the lock down. Im just glad I can get on the bike and be out in the country alone within thirty seconds in any direction. It will be nice to see tourists return when its safe to do so but it does seem that there is a huge unruly element across the country that just as you say are totally moronic and selfish. Maybe now that pubs and flights are opening up again they might piss off.

pepe63 - 2020-06-29 11:34 AM

Well I for one am all in favour of everyone flocking to one place - as it makes the places I go to much more pleasant.

So, I would be very much obliged if you would refrain from letting these people know that other resorts exist.

:-(

Is it any different than the annual flock to Glastonbury. I like a lot of the music but would not want to put up with the hell surrounding you.

One of my daughters decided not to go this year, though cancelled, which would have been the 6th time,she said she just could face all the hardships anymore.

Archived