Parliament suspended

Bulletguy

Bulletguy - 2019-04-04 5:11 PM

Due to rain pouring in through it's leaky roof!

All is saved though...Grayling has offered Seaborne a new contract for an Ark.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/04/parliament-flooded-huge-leak-forces-mps-evacuate-commons-9113767/

I seem to remember they were encouraged to move out altogether, rather than occupy while the refurbishment was under way. They have a bit of a track record in the logical decision making department, don't they? What could possibly go wrong? :-D

Mind, if it keeps on leaking the EU may have to consider a further Brexit extension while they all get dried out so maybe Dave is right, perhaps there is a God after all! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-04 5:49 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-04-04 5:11 PM

Due to rain pouring in through it's leaky roof!

All is saved though...Grayling has offered Seaborne a new contract for an Ark.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/04/parliament-flooded-huge-leak-forces-mps-evacuate-commons-9113767/

I seem to remember they were encouraged to move out altogether, rather than occupy while the refurbishment was under way. They have a bit of a track record in the logical decision making department, don't they? What could possibly go wrong? :-D

Mind, if it keeps on leaking the EU may have to consider a further Brexit extension while they all get dried out so maybe Dave is right, perhaps there is a God after all! :-D

Exactly the same in one of the blocks at my ex works. Leaky roof due to lack of maintenance. The roof was a continual V shape with guttering in the bottom of the V. All it needed was those cleaning out. During heavy rain periods the block became a water feature with huge pools of water swimming around machines running 450 volts. Management insisted everything be kept running and supplied pvc sheeting to put over the machines. Totally bonkers yet that practice was still going on when i left in 2010. The block has since been demolished but it's a miracle nobody got electrocuted.

Yes it's certainly an act of God.....he's weeping tears of hysterical bewilderment!

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2019-04-04 8:22 PM

It's just another attempt by May to get her deal through. She needs the 'wets' to help her.

Hopefully she'll gets Dobbin on her side, and manage to get us out of the EU ;-) .........

Then hands over power to a proper Tory Brexiteer to do the final negotiations B-) ........

I seem to remember they were encouraged to move out altogether, rather than occupy while the refurbishment was under way.

I think it is the ideal time ( and a lot cheaper ) to build a new seat of parliament somewhere in England

( i.e. outside London ) and convert the current Houses of Parliament to a hostel for ex service men who had fallen on hard times.

;-)

malc d - 2019-04-05 9:01 AM

I seem to remember they were encouraged to move out altogether, rather than occupy while the refurbishment was under way.

I think it is the ideal time ( and a lot cheaper ) to build a new seat of parliament somewhere in England

( i.e. outside London ) and convert the current Houses of Parliament to a hostel for ex service men who had fallen on hard times.

;-)

Apparently it was caused from the tiling which is all cast iron but i'm sure the owner can afford to shell out for a new roof. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-05 12:47 PM

;-)

Apparently it was caused from the tiling which is all cast iron but i'm sure the owner can afford to shell out for a new roof. ;-)

Cast iron tiling? 8-) ...........

Were they made by Unicorns? :D ........

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 12:55 PM

;-)

You won't find it in the Beano. *-)

The cast iron tiled roofs were installed on wrought iron structures in the mid-1800s, and used innovative, leading edge technology. However, they have never undergone major renovation or repair and now,160 years on,the roofs are leaking, causing significant damage to the stonework and historic interiors of the building.

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/lords-information-office/2013/architecture-building-fabric-factsheet.pdf

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-05 2:15 PM

;-)

The cast iron tiled roofs were installed on wrought iron structures in the mid-1800s, and used innovative, leading edge technology. However, they have never undergone major renovation or repair and now,160 years on,the roofs are leaking, causing significant damage to the stonework and historic interiors of the building.

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/lords-information-office/2013/architecture-building-fabric-factsheet.pdf

Just goes to show ;-) .......

Leading edge technology is not what its cracked up to be :D ........

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 2:21 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-04-05 2:15 PM

;-)

Just goes to show ;-) .......

Leading edge technology is not what its cracked up to be :D ........

It was rebuilt in 1834 and was certainly leading edge back then but as with any building, it requires maintenance and that's something we've never been very good at, often ignoring minor work which eventually becomes major.

Archived