Passport Please

michele

Can anyone explain this 3 month left on your passport then you can't travel lark .

What a rip off I thought that we were in the EU EC whatever...

it is a rip off why because why do they bother to give you a passport with ten years on it ifyou can't use the last 3 months that's a con so everytime you renew your passport they get three months on you ?

WHATS GOING ON.

Strange thing is, when you drive across all of the EC, no one wants to see your passport as the borders are crossed.

Even ferry crossings in EC do no checking.

However, cross the English Chanel, and you are checked, in & out.

Cross from Spain into Gibraltar, again, passport checked.

Cross from Canada into USA, by road, and normally waved through.

I have to stop and tell immigration that I am not Canadian and get a visa.

Even flying into the various Hawian Islands, between each one, there are passport checks, and you get there from USA (normally) so have never left USA after leaving UK airports.

Hi,

Does the new passport start from the date the old one expires, or do you lose that 3 months?

I read in the paper (so it must be true) that you will not be forced to have an identity card....but if you don't, you won't get a passport.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Eight passport stamps in a day - can anyone beat that?

Out of Hong Kong, into Macau. Out of Macau, into China.

Much later that day, out of China, into Macau. Out of Macau and back into Hong Kong!

Wouldn't happen now of course because Macau and HK are both part of China.

The new passport starts fromthe date of expiry of the old one - of did, anway!

A few years ago we travelled somewhere (India, I think) where you had to have a passport with min 6months remaining. As ours wasn't quite that long (about 51/2 months I think!), we spoke to the Passport Office, and applied for a new one, which now will expire 10 years after the expiry of the old one - ie it was for almost 10yrs 6months.

That also benefited us as it avoided yet another of the increased charges for proviison of the PP - whetehr that still applies I'm not sure, as I guess the govenment will have clamoed down on 'unused values' so they can rake yet more in from us taxpayers!

Michele

Just about to renew our passports and the bumf states that if there are unused months on the old one they will be added to the new one, so you don't lose out. Ours aren't due until May but decided to do it in advance.

Forester

Just thought I would let you know what happened to us last week in Spain. We arrived a a campsite in L'escala and the man behind the reception asked if we had a card!! As we hadn't intended to go into Spain We hadn't brought the Passports. Anyway, I presumed the man meant a Camping Carnet and I said that I hadn't but I had an Auchan card (one of our supermarket loyalty cards - not worth anything) and he said "that will do". I couldn't believe it. And when we left the day after he gave us the card back. Now that's what I call trusting.

Cheers everyone

The reason I ask is because on quite a few occassions now especially with the kis and their friends the kids have found only three months left on a passport . My daughter went to lanzarote this morning she only had 3 left on hers but we checked hers' and had the time to renew it .

Yesterday one of 8 of her friends wakes up LATE I KNOW checks her and it has three months on it now she's told she can't travel.?

HELLO its in date she's only going to Lanzarote for a week ?

What is the point of issuing a ten year passport if they wont honor it ?

And why what is this 3 month bit all about I mean 1 week and then they will return . I thought it was only England that had lapsical problems with getting people out . So not only do the English Passport control do it at this end but they do it for other countries that we are supposed to be in partnership with ? DON'T NOTICE ANYONE LOOKING AFTER ENGLAND LIKE THAT ... Winds me up 10 years is ten years next time we renew perhaps we should ask for a 9year 9 month one ?

:-|

The reason, I believe, Michele, is in case you are taken ill while away, and have to spend time in hospital.  If you were, and your passport expired while you were in, you'd technically become stateless and that causes all kinds of problems for you and the nearest consulate.  Just what you want when you're feeling fragile.

I know - it happened to me when I was 15!

My old boss feel foul of this, he'd got his holiday booked and 2 days before going, got out his passport ... it was due to expire in 3 months!!! Frantic phone calls to the main passport office (can't remember where ... I'm sure someone will remind me!) and an 8 hour round trip got him a new one but his wife wasn't best pleased and she ended up doing all the packing!!! *-)

michele - 2007-03-11 12:24 PM Brian , Thanks for that it makes sense so it's because we might draw on their economy is it ?. Ahh there will alway's be an England . *-)

Michele

No, not really.  If your passport expires while you're in, say, a French hospital, you're in all kinds of bother. 

It took ages to get me sorted out when I got caught by this.  Had to go to the British Embassy - who of course can't issue passports - get a temporary displaced person's card or some such, and then had everyone pull it to pieces when I used it at the port, because it hadn't been properly validated.

The rules have changed since I was 15, but it is still far, far, simpler to make sure you have enough cover on its validity go be able to use it coming back, even if you do get badly delayed.

Archived