Peterborough show

michele

Hi Michelle, having owned my first motorhome for about three weeks now I thought I'd better pop along to Peterborough. Obviously I was in and out of almost every van but in all honesty, I didn't see anything that was as comfy as my Compass. It seems the idea now is to sacrifice space inside in order to accomodate these huge 'garages' and of course the beds are raised and appear quite small. Still, lots to see at the show and worth the trip out.

Hi M

we went saturday got my aires de services for next week some plugs and sockets to make up a line in case of neg pos hookup in france one or two other small items we all think we have a use for.

A good show all round I began to think I was at crufts with all the poor dogs being dragged around falling out with peoples feet ( not their fault ) just masses of people jostling about and of course tripping over the poor animals I have to wander why people drag them along  lets face it they are not interested they all looked bored stiff.

And besides being sideswiped  by the rucksack brigade in some of the stands  with lots of people and not much room we had a good day the weather was good and to top it all we had free tickets .

Welcome Vic ,

I hope you have many a happy jaunt in your new camper enjoy..

Kell,

Please how much did you pay for your books ..just got them 3 weeks ago because we were in France as you know . brian had said they were out I think Mar/anyway managed to find a good presse and 8E for one & 7E the other ...do they put much on them I wonder...

Glad you had a nice time

Hi M

You got a good deal I paid £7 still I saved on postage,just got to go to Brownhills to get the fresh water tank gauge sorted on Thursday its showing full until about 10/15 ltrs are left then hey presto its empty but showing 1/4-1/2 tank not good .

Hopefully we should have everything sorted for the big off we are bound to forget something .

michele - 2007-04-29 3:44 PM So how did it go peep's anyone buy anything ...spend a fortune ? Still glad the weather was nice even if we couldn't go at least you all had a dry time... ;-)

Hi M,

You didn't miss too much.

We went on Friday as a day visitor because we had to be home on Saturday. With all the redevelpoment going on it was a bit of hassle getting into the car park and queuing for the bus to take you to the entrance.

Mr Warner needs a gentle kick, on approaching the site the day visitor road signs "invited" you to double back to the previous roundabout. When you did that you were "invited" to double back to the previous roundabout etc. etc. etc.

Fortunately we know the area so we went straight in but there were a number of MHs going up and down the dual carriageway.

I agree with the earlier post, I have never seen so many dogs at a show. In the indoor area, I swear there were more dogs than humans.

I think i'll finish, I don't want to start a war on dog ownership........ 

Bazza,

Sorry bet you they were going round and round and round stupid A.

Fancy organising a big show like that and sending people round the bend.

I bet that lots of people were fuming still the weather was nice for you all

and it didn't rain ! did you buy any posh gadgets ?.

kelly seems like we did ...For once.

Hi Kelly58 - didn't realise you were going, we were there yesterday as well, lovely weather wasn't it, you’d almost think it was summer! I agree about the dogs, we purposely left ours in the van and popped back at lunchtime to have a bite to eat and let them out for a romp, but I suspect some people don't bother hence why they drag the poor things about with them. As for rucksacks - hope we weren't one of the culprits! 8-)

To answer Michele, we bought:

- 3 Regatta jackets at £10.00 each!

- 1 pair of black leather shoes for me at £5.00!!!

- 1 pair waterproof cab seat covers at £10.00 - we've already got a set each for the camper and the car and this is just in case we need an extra set when the original camper ones give up the ghost ... they've been used for at least 2 years now!!!

- 2 dog 'duvet' beds - large rectangular beds that actually have a single duvet folded inside a zipped washable cover ... at £5.00 each they were definitely worth having and the dogs love them ... we've finally slung their old traditional style dog beds which we've had since we bought our Swift in ... er ... 2001!

- Some 2-stoke oil for our mopeds

- A bottle of Loo-Blue stuff

- An 8ft x 3ft green rubber backed rug – the ‘dirt gripper’ type for £10, I’ve already got one in the camper and it’s just like having ‘grass’ on the floor so thought we’d get another to do the last bit of floor showing, just hope we don’t get any weeds!

- Oh, and cheapest of all a nice grey finish LED light which cost £1.50 – we’ve stuck it on the ceiling where there was a dark spot above near the edge of the bed – we can now simply press it and it gives a nice bit of light just enough to see the step and ‘corridor’ to the toilet, so we can safely clamber out of bed at night without shining a bright light and waking everyone up. As it’s LEDs they should last for ages before we need to think about changing the batteries and it has saved us having to wire in a proper light to do the same job.

- ... and the BEST thing we bought? Well, a real pack of pork scratchings of course! Yummie!!! :D

Bazza - agree about the signage, we were a bit confused and ended up going round the last roundabout a couple of times just to make sure we hadn't lost the plot. The bus drivers said there had nearly been a riot on Friday morning as they didn't open the entry gate for the public day visitors until 9.40 am - 10 minutes late and loads had gone early to get in quick - apparently there was a problem with one of the exhibitors so they'd kept everyone out, good job they didn't tell those waiting who it was! :$

One thing that did confuse a bit though was the sheer number of stalls with 'like-goods' on, I lost count of how many stalls were selling bicycles, both standard and especially electric ones - it did make me wonder why our poor old Dave Newell couldn't sell all his wares due to too many of the same "type of goods" sellers already being booked in. Just didn't seem to make sense somehow.

Anyway, good show, really enjoyed it and hopefully next year we'll be able to stay a bit longer.

We where there saterday, tried to side swipe as many as possible with my rucksack :D had a look at every panelvan, Danbury had a new layout on a Master that would suit our needs but it just wasn't up to the standard of Adria, but as it was prototype will be giving it a second look later this year. Came away with a big bag of Liquorice, so a good trip (lol)

P.S. it was quicker to walk than take the bus

I went to peterborough on friday, unfortunately/fortunately i didn't go to the show even though i was less than 10 miles away, i caught a train up from cardiff because i was picking up my new second hand motorbike and riding it home, i was gutted i couldn't go but i dont think i could have carried much on the bike!! hope you all enjoyed it.

take care

choppa

Guest peter

Pretty dissappointing really. Too many stalls selling stuff that has nothing to do with camping, shoes , clothes, sunglasses , jewelley etc. A lot of the usual vendors were not there, O'Leary's being one and I didn't see anyone selling towbars. We went looking for Remis blinds but no luck.

Don't think we'll bother next year. Did spot Clive and Mel E in the MMM tent though.

We were there from Thursday till yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. Bought a 11KG refillable gas cylinder from MTH (better than the Gaslow job in my opinion). Did a bit of business as well. Rained Thursday teatime but that was all, while the sun did shine the wind was cold. Did wonder why there were 5 or six stalls selling pain relief magnets (yeah they'll really work then) but only two selling cruise control, funny that!

Newbury next in two weeks time.

D. (lol)

Hi Michele

We went on sunday, quite agree with some of the sentiments.

Road signs were misleading.

A lot of people selling things with no connection to MH's.

Almost got run down twice by those people demonstarting them skating trike thingamebobs.!!

Bought a PVC windbreak & a small folding trolley.

That's it now, spent enough already, as she's a new van which is only 5 weeks old.

Nice weather all the same, makes a change from rain like it usually does.

*-)

Dave Newell - 2007-04-30 7:24 AM We were there from Thursday till yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. Bought a 11KG refillable gas cylinder from MTH (better an the Gaslow job in my opinion).  

Hi Dave,

We will be looking forward to hearing more about this cylinder when you get it fitted etc.  Will you be able to supply it in the future?

Roy.

Hi Michelle, we went from Thursday to Sunday, best position ever inside the security fencing which always makes me much happier. Rather spoilt by wretched cold wind - not too much sitting outside. As others have said rather a lot of "bling-bling" stalls. Several people remarked to me how disappointed they were by lack of outlets at the foodcourt - York much better. Bought some loo stuff, a"Le Guide Officiel", some van cleaner, and a saucepan while Meg and Angela bought a waistcoat and jacket respectively. I think that was the lot. Highlight we saw Dave and met his dear dog.

Yours Empress

twooks - 2007-04-30 8:28 PM

Dave Newell - 2007-04-30 7:24 AM

We were there from Thursday till yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. ... Did a bit of business as well. ..!

Newbury next in two weeks time.

D. (lol)

naughty Dave ??? *-) :->

B-)

Why naughty Twooks, I didn't do anything wrong did I? *-) *-)

D.

Bought a 11KG refillable gas cylinder from MTH (better than the Gaslow job in my opinion).

D. (lol)

Well, I have had 2 x 11kg Gaslows fitted since Peterborough last year. No problems with them and I recomend the service received from CMR at every opportunity. I looked at the MTH ones and decided I would go with the company that answered my silly questions without treating me like an idiot - I have a PhD and a BSc (Hons) and a fully qualified engineer. Presentation of the product also helps.

Dave

Guest peter
656 - 2007-04-30 9:19 PM

Edit................... and decided I would go with the company that answered my silly questions without treating me like an idiot - I have a PhD and a BSc (Hons) and a fully qualified engineer. Presentation of the product also helps.

Dave

If that's the case, why did you ask silly questions? :D

656 - 2007-04-30 9:19 PM

Bought a 11KG refillable gas cylinder from MTH (better than the Gaslow job in my opinion).

D. (lol)

Well, I have had 2 x 11kg Gaslows fitted since Peterborough last year. No problems with them and I recomend the service received from CMR at every opportunity. I looked at the MTH ones and decided I would go with the company that answered my silly questions without treating me like an idiot - I have a PhD and a BSc (Hons) and a fully qualified engineer. Presentation of the product also helps.

Dave

I didn't have to ask any silly questions, (I'm not a qualified engineer and I don't have a BSc or a PHD) mine were all sensible and were answered very well by (I think) Marika who is a very pleasant person to deal with. The MTH bottles, in my opinion are better made and the one very real advantage is they have a built in float level guage so you can see at a glance how much liquid gas you have left. They are also a better price than Gaslow cylinders and don't confuse you with separate items to buy, you just buy a complete system, simple as that.

D.

Dave or anyone else

Help please.

We have 2 x propane gas bottles, 1 x 13KG & 1 x6kg as a back up.

We've always had this system.

What advantages are there for us to swap to either the MTH or the Gaslow bottles, or do we stay as we are?

Hope you can help.

Thai

How Much is this Gaslow what I keep reading about please ..

Silly question (Does this mean we don't have to worry when in France about running out ) can we buy it there and refill.....plain english for a thicko please anyone

The advantages of either system are that they are refillable and the gas is cheaper. Also no more lugging heavy cylinders in and out of your gas locker. I wouldn't say you should change on the basis of cheaper gas unless you do a lot of camping and therefore use a significant quantity of gas. I've swapped to the MTH refillable cylinder because of the convenience, I have a Budget gas depot near home who charge the correct duty rate for domestic fuel (its lower than for road fuel) so all I shall do before we venture out in the motorhome is check the level guage and if its less than half to two thirds full I'll just pop round there and fill the cylinder up before we go away. They can also be refilled at petrol stations that have autogas but you might well have to pay the road fuel rate. There are also many places in Europe where you can refill but someone else wil have to advise on that as I don't do mainland Europe touring.

D.

Archived