Photos

Hooky Hymer

(?) The chicks have fledged and the next is empty. We know we will get the occasional fly-by, but to keep us going in between, we want to be able to share pics. Does anyone out there know of a good place on the web to store pictures privately? I have tried photobucket, but it is a pain to upload pictures individually, it seems to take ages, and they don’t seem to have the option to upload a whole folder of pics – might be as many as 100! (?)

Hello Diana,

Apart from using forums and receiving/sending emails and searches I have problems doing much else on the Internet.

What I do have, but have not used yet is a gadget from a company called Archos. This has quite a big screen for a portable device but it apparently can store up to 750,000 photos and can be played back either through a TV or on your computer. Obtained from Dixons just before they became Currys Digital. Quite expensive, I believe it was around £400. It, or similar should be a lot easier for you.

There are probably versions available much cheaper now. Easiest way of loading is via a card reader, about a fiver from Jessops. You could then attach your photos to an email.

Hope this suggestion helps,

Mike

Hooky Hymer - 2007-06-25 7:54 PM (?) The chicks have fledged and the next is empty. We know we will get the occasional fly-by, but to keep us going in between, we want to be able to share pics. Does anyone out there know of a good place on the web to store pictures privately? I have tried photobucket, but it is a pain to upload pictures individually, it seems to take ages, and they don’t seem to have the option to upload a whole folder of pics – might be as many as 100! (?)

Hi Diana,

I agree with John, probably the best tool for sharing pictures at the moment is Picasa -

http://picasa.google.co.uk/features/features-share.html

Another site worth taking a look at is Ringo, we have family in Australia who regularly send hundreds of photos to us ( I think in an effort to persuade us to emigrate there).

http://www.ringo.com/

The Archos is not really suitable for sharing photographs, it's an excellent, very powerful player where you can watch and record TV, (depending on the model), store photos, record and play music and video files.

http://www.archos.com/products/video/av_index.html?country=global&lang=en

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. Picasa2 seems much better than photobucket, and I will have a go at large folder uploads tonight.

Why the blushes Phillip? Was it the suggestion of ‘private storage’? I don’t know what sort of pictures you have, but I am merely trying to prevent leery lechers peering at pics of my gorgeous girl, her brother and their friends at parties or on hols.

We also want to use this facility for extended family to send us pictures to load onto a Digital Photo Frame that we intend buying for Granny for her 80th Pressie. Has anyone out there had particularly good or bad reports on any? We will be looking at the 15” hang-on-the-wall jobbies.

Try www.flickr.com

You can create individual albums and tag all your pictures as well as marking them as private so only family can see the ones that you want them to see.

I think you can create three albums free but if you need more it costs a small amount per year

Archived