Poor old Diane Abbot

StuartO

Reported by the Huffington Post (and photographed, not looking ill and taking a phone call in the Tube Station only minutes away from her Woman's Hour Interview appointment) as having been sidelined, it has now been announced that Jeremy Corbyn has relieved the poor lady of her duties altogether "during her period of illness".  I suppose she had become just too much of an embarrassment.

She did at least provide some light relief during her struggle to remember what she was supposed to be pushing as the Party Line;  maybe she was never very good at numbers.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StuartO - 2017-06-07 10:45 AMShe did at least provide some light relief during her struggle to remember what she was supposed to be pushing as the Party Line;  maybe she was never very good at numbers.

Has anybody presented any evidence she is faking it?Or are these insinuations the usual election dirty tricks?

Barryd999 - 2017-06-07 11:18 AM

I think it speaks volumes that Labour has done as well as it has with her at Corbyns side. WTF is she even doing there?

Labour haven't done anything yet have they or have you like they've been doing in that London been spying on those postal votes ??? ... I agree poorly or most probably not poorly she has been an utter disgrace as a politician ... Vile racist

StuartO - 2017-06-07 10:45 AM

She did at least provide some light relief during her struggle to remember what she was supposed to be pushing as the Party Line; maybe she was never very good at numbers.

That gaffe is weeks old and they all make 'em.........including May who wants UK "to lead the world in preventing tourism".

Perhaps May is dyslexic or just crap at using autocue.

Bulletguy - 2017-06-07 11:52 AM

She did at least provide some light relief during her struggle to remember what she was supposed to be pushing as the Party Line; maybe she was never very good at numbers.

That gaffe is weeks old and they all make 'em.........including May who wants UK "to lead the world in preventing tourism".

She didn't make a gaffe when she said black mothers love their kids more than whites do or when she said the British invented racism or she rejoiced in the IRA ... Those unfortunately weren't gaffes were they

John52 - 2017-06-07 11:32 AM Has anybody presented any evidence she is faking it?Or are these insinuations the usual election dirty tricks?

According to the Huffington Post:

Shadow international trade secretary Barry Gardiner told HuffPost UK: “I have been told that Diane has been diagnosed with a serious, long-term condition. “I hope people will simply say ‘OK, fair dos, if that’s the reason she’s been under par, we should back off’.”   Gardiner said that he hoped there would be be less “cynicism” about Abbott, but added: “But I’m afraid politics is an unkind business.”

Theresa May said: “How Jeremy Corbyn manages his Shadow Cabinet is for him. I wish Diane Abbott a speedy recovery.”

Maybe Diane Abbot has got dementia or something like it brewing all of a sudden (her recent performance would be consistent with some sort of serious intellectual problem) but yesterday the Huffington Post were showing a video clip of her taking a phone call in Oxford Circus Tube Station, said to be happening only a short while before she was due on Woman's Hour, and the BBC is not far from there.  Her withdrawal from that programme was clearly a last minute thing.

The decision to stand her down during the period of her illness  (and there is no indication that it was at Diane Abbot's request) as Shaddow Home Secretary will have been Jeremy Corbyn's and it's a very odd thing to do the day before a General Election unless it does reflect her recent poor showing (or bad press, as you might prefer it) of recent weeks.

A more cynical view would be that her limitations have been exposed and she's being hidden from the press, so she cannot make any more really embarrassing mistakes.

All credit to Theresa May for her kindly response, with no hint of any opportunistic attack on either Diane Abbott or Jeremy Corbyn.

antony1969 - 2017-06-07 11:56 AM

She didn't make a gaffe when she said black mothers love their kids more than whites do or when she said the British invented racism or she rejoiced in the IRA ... Those unfortunately weren't gaffes were they

No idea exactly what she said recently as i've not heard/read that remark. The former is wrong and a pretty crass thing to say and i imagine many black folk would feel insulted by it, let alone white. As to who "invented" racism, white British certainly have history there during their times slave trading and Empire building.

Apparently Corbyn sacked her (?) so it's over with now.

Bulletguy - 2017-06-07 1:21 PM

antony1969 - 2017-06-07 11:56 AM

No idea exactly what she said recently as i've not heard/read that remark. The former is wrong and a pretty crass thing to say and i imagine many black folk would feel insulted by it, let alone white. As to who "invented" racism, white British certainly have history there during their times slave trading and Empire building.

Apparently Corbyn sacked her (?) so it's over with now.

Racism if thats what its to be called was around long before Britains slave trade which us Brits led the way in ending or in our Empire building ... Of course that doesn't fit in well with Miss Diane outlook of a Britain , a white Britain that she hates ... If it is over now as you say for her we both can agree good riddance to a nasty racist can't we ???

Bulletguy - 2017-06-07 1:21 PM   .....As to who "invented" racism, white British certainly have history there during their times slave trading and Empire building.Apparently Corbyn sacked her (?) so it's over with now.

I think of slavery every time I go to see places like Chatsworth, because they were built using profits from the slave trade, but I don't think that makes us, the current set of British citizens, even the current Duke of Devonshire, in any way racist.

For whatever reason Diane Abbott has left the political stage (and she is still tweeting, so maybe she hasn't) she might be unwell so it's reasonable to give her the benefit of that doubt until she abuses it.

antony1969 - 2017-06-07 11:41 AM

I think it speaks volumes that Labour has done as well as it has with her at Corbyns side. WTF is she even doing there?

Labour haven't done anything yet have they or have you like they've been doing in that London been spying on those postal votes ??? ... I agree poorly or most probably not poorly she has been an utter disgrace as a politician ... Vile racist

I dont think labour will win Antony but its undeniable that Jeremy Corbyn has had a blinding campaign and the publics opinion of him has changed despite all the smears whereas opinion of Theresa May has gone completely in the opposite direction.

You cannot surely now think that she is the right person to head up the Brexit negotiations for you. She has shown herself to be out of her depth, unable to debate and rather than "Strong and stable" more weak, wobbly and indecisive". The EU will tear her apart.

Barryd999 - 2017-06-07 5:16 PM

its undeniable that Jeremy Corbyn has had a blinding campaign and the publics opinion of him has changed .

It isn't just the election campaign. He went from 200-1 outsider to win - by a mile - and then double the party membership.

Corbyn hasn't changed. People have changed their opinion of him by listening to him first hand, instead of just whats been reported in the Tory dominated media.

Some are even beginning to realise why Theresa May hides behind the Tory Media instead of having a face to face public debate with him.

PS: . and why the Tory media keep changing the subject to Diane Abbot - even after she's gone ;-)

I dont think labour will win Antony but its undeniable that Jeremy Corbyn has had a blinding campaign and the publics opinion of him has changed despite all the smears whereas opinion of Theresa May has gone completely in the opposite direction.

You cannot surely now think that she is the right person to head up the Brexit negotiations for you. She has shown herself to be out of her depth, unable to debate and rather than "Strong and stable" more weak, wobbly and indecisive". The EU will tear her apart.

I believe Corbyns had a blinding campaign so credit where its due ... The Tories have been shambolic but they in my view will still win ... He's promised the world and after austerity its been lapped up by the gullible which mainly consist of the young and the anti-hard Brexit saddo's ... I still believe HM Mrs May is still the best for Brexit as I want a kick ass no deal ... I could never lower my self worth and vote for a fella and his fellow crooks who took such obvious delight in the death of decent Brits at the hands of the IRA and thats without mentioning his friendship with Hamas and Hezbollah and him speaking on stage showing sympathy towards Islamic hate towards us Brits ... He's a Brit that hates the British and I think I would rather have Nicola Sturgeon in power

antony1969 - 2017-06-07 6:04 PM

.. He's promised the world and after austerity its been lapped up by the gullible which mainly consist of the young and the anti-hard Brexit saddo's ... I still believe HM Mrs May is still the best for Brexit as I want a kick ass no deal ... I could never lower my self worth and vote for a fella and his fellow crooks who took such obvious delight in the death of decent Brits at the hands of the IRA and thats without mentioning his friendship with Hamas and Hezbollah and him speaking on stage showing sympathy towards Islamic hate towards us Brits ... He's a Brit that hates the British and I think I would rather have Nicola Sturgeon in power

Contrary to Tory media his spending plans have been fully costed - which you can read in the Financial Times.

The rest of that diatribe is too ridiculous to comment on - all because he would rather negotiate than send in the troops - which any fool can do :-(

I believe Corbyns had a blinding campaign so credit where its due ... The Tories have been shambolic but they in my view will still win ... He's promised the world and after austerity its been lapped up by the gullible which mainly consist of the young and the anti-hard Brexit saddo's ... I still believe HM Mrs May is still the best for Brexit as I want a kick ass no deal ... I could never lower my self worth and vote for a fella and his fellow crooks who took such obvious delight in the death of decent Brits at the hands of the IRA and thats without mentioning his friendship with Hamas and Hezbollah and him speaking on stage showing sympathy towards Islamic hate towards us Brits ... He's a Brit that hates the British and I think I would rather have Nicola Sturgeon in power

Dont sit on the fence Antony, tell us how you really feel! (lol)

I could argue that the gullible ones are those that still think the Tories are the best ones to look after their interests when they couldnt have been more exposed than they are now for being the party that looks only after the top few percent of super rich while the rest of you serve to top up their off shore nest eggs and stately home fund. Ive read and heard all the accusations of what Corbyn has said decades ago and who he supported and listened to his version. Ok so he may have made some questionable choices but I firmly believe he is a man of peace and straight talking. I find it hard to knock someone for that and much of the stuff portrayed by the media is simply a huge Tory smear campaign.

As for May negotiating Brexit. Oh dear.

:-(

Barryd999 - 2017-06-07 6:28 PM

Dont sit on the fence Antony, tell us how you really feel! (lol)

I could argue that the gullible ones are those that still think the Tories are the best ones to look after their interests when they couldnt have been more exposed than they are now for being the party that looks only after the top few percent of super rich while the rest of you serve to top up their off shore nest eggs and stately home fund. Ive read and heard all the accusations of what Corbyn has said decades ago and who he supported and listened to his version. Ok so he may have made some questionable choices but I firmly believe he is a man of peace and straight talking. I find it hard to knock someone for that and much of the stuff portrayed by the media is simply a huge Tory smear campaign.

As for May negotiating Brexit. Oh dear.

:-(

Im not denying hes a man of peace as you put it ... Just depends which side of the peace he's on ... He says he was part of the peace process and wanted to open dialogue and talks regarding the troubles in Ireland ... Did he ever once meet any Unionists ???? He was a useful IRA/Sinn Fein stooge for a while but both him and his boyfriend McDonnell were both seen by Adams and McGuiness as too extreme in their views to be part of talks ... If your comfortable voting for a thing like that then thats your conscience that deals with it ... I know even if I hated the hard Brexit the Tories are going for which you obviously hate I could not vote for that man ... He's a disgrace and his views are the same he had in the 70s and 80s but wrapped up in modern day spin

Guest pelmetman

He's a Brit that hates the British and I think I would rather have Nicola Sturgeon in power

If he wins....she will 8-) ........

He's promised the world and after austerity its been lapped up by the gullible which mainly consist of the young and the anti-hard Brexit saddo's ...

You mean Brexiters? Not sure what an "anti hard" one is though!

I still believe HM Mrs May is still the best for Brexit as I want a kick ass no deal ...

Yee ha........pull up the drawbridge, ban Brit Brexiters from holding a passport and hit 'em hard with serious taxation. Now that is "hard".........well 'ard. (lol)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-06-07 11:32 AM
StuartO - 2017-06-07 10:45 AMShe did at least provide some light relief during her struggle to remember what she was supposed to be pushing as the Party Line;  maybe she was never very good at numbers.

Has anybody presented any evidence she is faking it?Or are these insinuations the usual election dirty tricks?
She has a history of faking it ;-) .......http://news.sky.com/story/diane-abbotts-history-of-gaffes-10482258

pelmetman - 2017-06-07 7:27 PM

She has a history of faking it ;-) .......http://news.sky.com/story/diane-abbotts-history-of-gaffes-10482258
Can't see anything there about faking an illness.

I agree with that point entirely. That being said, if you take a look at the Labour front bench on PMs Questions then it does look like an out-take scene from the Muppets Xmas Party.

Old Jezza would have to be Gonzo :D

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-06-08 6:55 AM
pelmetman - 2017-06-07 7:27 PM

Can't see anything there about faking an illness.
What a selective memory you have John (lol) ........http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4183780/Labour-fury-Diane-Abbott-s-missing-vote-Brexit.html

hi,

When Corbyn took over as leader he did not have many MP's who wanted to work with him ,so he had to take what he could. However,if he does win the election I wonder what all the MP,s who tried to destroy him will do, no doubt they will willingly accept a good job in his cabinet.

Cynical, but I believe most politicians are pure careerists.

derek

derek pringle - 2017-06-08 8:43 AM

hi,

When Corbyn took over as leader he did not have many MP's who wanted to work with him ,so he had to take what he could. However,if he does win the election I wonder what all the MP,s who tried to destroy him will do, no doubt they will willingly accept a good job in his cabinet.

Cynical, but I believe most politicians are pure careerists.

derek

Good post indeed. It sums it up nicely.

Archived