Pride Comes Before A Fall

catinou

We have waited so long for our new Motorhome and although we have only had it for 7 weeks (almost) we are finding we cannot sit tall and PROUD or we will come a cropper in some way! The first instance was a couple of weeks ago - we live in Hampshire and my husband said "do you want to go to Devon this weekend?" My reply was "Why?" - "because we can". Great idea so we set off feeling really pleased with ourselves and VERY proud of our new 'van.......

I have to admit now I am an avid waver and get great pleasure of seeing other wavers on the road! We stopped part way on the journey for a cup of coffee and then realised a lot of the "admiring smiles" of other road users could have been due to the very long piece of plastic sheeting trailing from underneath our chassis - we must have picked it up on the M27 and been trailing it West like a bride's train!!

The second instance was last weekend as we returned to our dealer (101 miles away as we purchased at the NEC and not locally) for the inevitable snag list to be dealt with. On the A27 we were "overtaken" at a red traffic light by a lad on a scooter - all the whistles and bells, except mirrors - with the inevitable broom broom sound of a lawn mower. My husband was annoyed as we have the new Fiat engine which he reckons could go from 0 - 60 in a few seconds (although he uses cruise control on 55 mph most of the time, he hates to be overtaken at lights). A bit further along the road we were caught behind a farmer with a full hopper of slurry - it was slopping on to the road and flying in all directions. Needless to say we overtook at the first opportunity - after the boy racer had gone past it (it was a very narrow road) and we had a little chuckle I am ashamed to say that we were at least protected by our shiny new 'van!

When we had driven another 80 odd miles we arrived at the dealership and proudly parked our nice new 'van in the yard with about 30 other big white vehicles. When we got out we complained about the farm smell in the area and it took 10 minutes before we found the chassis, wheel arches, dirt skirt and habitation step were - covered in slurry - the smell was from our pride & joy. It had to be cleaned before they could even take it into the workshop!

We are now convinced we have to lose the pride thing and "get over ourselves"! Has anybody else fallen flat on their face in a similar manner?

:$

Sort of

Years ago I was a Mod - I had a lovely TV 175 lambretta that was my pride and joy. I saved up and bought a fly-screen which is a small fairing type thing that fitted onto that handle bars.

I bought from a place where I lived in Hastings called Gedges and the chap there was very helpful and gave me some tools to fit it outside as the box was too big to fit on the scooter.

I put my crash helmet down and got to work. After 20 min or so I stood back stunned at how much better the scooter looked. I gave Mr Gedge his tools back, put my helmet on and rode off to the seafront. I cruised along feeling great!

All down past the memorial, along to the old town, back up over the Ridge and home.

Where I took my helmet off and saw a large dog turd stuck on top of it.

It was from the gutter where I had put the crash helmet down when fitting the flyscreen.

I had just cruised all around my home town thinking I was the dogs b*llocks when in fact I had the dogs doo doo on my head.

Thanks Clive, I feel sooo much better now - at least we didn't wear it on our heads! I am not well known for a really good sense of humour but your post has just made me laugh out loud (very loudly in fact) in a busy open office - worth it though!!!!

:D :D :D

CliveH - 2007-10-17 11:55 AM

Years ago I was a Mod - I had a lovely TV 175 lambretta that was my pride and joy. I saved up and bought a fly-screen which is a small fairing type thing that fitted onto that handle bars.

Do you think the Mods on here know they're supposed to have one of these?

Tony

Tony Jones - 2007-10-17 12:21 PM

Do you think the Mods on here know they're supposed to have one of these?

Tony

I had just cruised all around my home town thinking I was the dogs b*llocks when in fact I had the dogs doo doo on my head.

Or even one of those :D

Graham

we parked on a supermarket car park in weston super mare, i looked up and seen something sticking out under the roof rack, climbed up to take a look; turned out to be a rubber dustbin lid? i can only guess that someone chucked it on from a motorway footbridge.

pete

Archived