Probably in the wrong place!

DorsetGypsy

Sorry - not used to the forum but I am about to retire and plan to buy campervan and toddle round France (have lived there twice before and speak French). I shall be on my own and have not owned campervan before although have driven one in France. I should appreciate suggestions as to the sort of (2nd hand) van it would be best to go for. I don't want to spend more than £20,000 but I do want certain "extras" e.g. alarm, CD + speakers. Is it better to go for van with extras or should I be looking for newest van poss?

Certainly appreciate any advice and apologies again if I am repeating what others have already asked.

Welcome to our mad world. - you're never in the wrong place - we can always find you.

You don't say how big a van you're interested in - or what your time scale might be - in the campervan range you'd probably find you get best value from a Mazda Bongo - which always seem to get rave reports from owners.

Suggest you have a really good look around as many dealers and motorhome shows as you can get to, then you will have some idea of what is available and whether you can live with the van and you will also get a feel for price ranges.

You need to consider a whole host of things, but a really important one - imo - is the bed, you want one that's easy to make up, and if you're tall - you may need to look around for a bed that's long enough.

B-)

Hi hilary,

Why not try and get to the Newbury show this weekend.

As twooks says you need to look long and hard, what suits one person wont suit another. Look in them, sit in them, check the beds, Kitchen, Bathroom/shower, and dont forget the cab, whatever the salesman says it will do (take it with a pinch of salt) they are trying to make a sale.

talk to other people, listen in on others conversations. Theres a lot of choice out there.

David

DG - seeing as you speak French and are intending the use the motorhome in France I'd suggest buying one there, you should be able to get a LHD much cheaper than you could buy either a LHD or RHD here.

If a 'van hasn't got the extras you want don't dispair as you can always have them added at a later date so don't rule out a 'van because of it's lack of twiddly bits.

Hiya Hilary, and welcome. You,ve mentioned "campervan", but perhaps you could be a little more specific. I imagine you,ve looked around, and maybe one or two have caught your eye. If so let us know and this will really give us something to go on.

£20,000 gives you plenty of options, but get the layout best suited to your needs and as mentioned any extras can always be added later.

Hi DG,

You could do a lot worse than try Germany for your van, prices there are usually a lot cheaper than here or France, £20k will buy you a lot of van over there.

When we went last year to buy our Hymer, there were brand new vans for £20-23k. The second hand market is good and the dealers are a 100 times better than British ones.

Go to www.mobile.de go to the motorhome section and you can check out dealers all across Europe on there, and you can refine your search to get just what you want.

Good luck in your hunt whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply - no I'm v short but you are right about the bed - I need to know if it's comfy too. Went to Newbury and saw millions of vans and seem to like AutoTrail Apache best or maybe the cheyenne.

thanks again,

DG

Yes thanks have looked around a bit and went to Newbury at w/e. I am dithering between something like AutoTrail Apache or cheyenne or Elddis Autostratus. I did see an Autoquest LHD at show but it was too expensive and I was not impressed with storage.

thanks for reply anyway.

DG

michele - 2007-05-14 11:16 PM

Hilary might be a man ?

.......Howie baby your plan is up .. :D

And so is yours mush. Had a word with the mod and no more of your suggestive pm,s coming my way. Now if you don,t mind i.m off to chat with Janet of East Riding. Such a refined and intriguing title don,t you think. ;-)

Hilary

These strike me as possibly largish vans for single handed motorhoming.  The traditional problem is reversing, which is much eased when there is someone playing (shouting?) lookout at the rear.  The main problem with 3,500Kg motorhomes is that if you "park by braille" something breaks on contact!  They don't bounce off like cars! 

Are you intending to live permanently in the van, or just use it for breaks?  If just for breaks, you may find the comfort of the roomy interior brings headaches when travelling/parking solo.  You may therefore find you need some form of secondary transport to get to smaller places, villages etc, if that is your interest, where the larger van won't go.

Whatever you decide, I'd say definately try to look at as many as possible, in the flesh, don't rush your decision, and do drive your shortlists before you finally decide.

Hope this helps.

Hi there - am going to be living in it permanently for a while anyway and assume I will need reverse camera or parking sensors at least. I have driven a couple but not tried to park them in tight spot yet (not v tight anyway). I find the smaller vans will probably be too constricting esp in bad weather - I think anyway.

thanks for thinking of me - will certainly drive some more.

DG

If you are planning to live in the van for long periods then perhaps you should go for the biggest one you feel comfortable with Hilary. As suggested, take your time and make sure its the one for you. Plenty of good ones out there, and all the best on your travels.

Archived