Puzzled

crinklystarfish

Actually in all fairness if the Mods had of stayed out of it last night it had come to a conclusion anyway .

People whoever are never always going to see eye to eye .

And what I think is a good forum person might not be what you think is a good forum person .

If there was Moderation then this would never of got to this stage in the first place . Also as said by many before trouble makers would not of been allowed to cause trouble it would of been stopped at the start.

Trouble is you come out to defend the forum and end up in trouble yourself I have certainly learnt alot over the past week or so.

crinklystarfish - 2007-10-11 9:13 PM So what's the point of banning a user?

Not a lot actually Crinkly but I suppose it's the mods' method of administering a slap across the wrists. I'd rather they just moderated more and zapped entire threads that get out of hand.

I still think that we could increase moderation by having member-mods, chosen from the more sensible ones amongst us (and I'm not so daft as to include myself in that description).

Two other forums where I participate, on completely different subjects, have member-mods, three or four for each division, to cover for holidays etc.

You soon get the drift if your post is just zapped! Naturally, this has never happened to me!

Guest Tracker

Yes I've learnt a lot too - in particular who my real friends are!

NOT a dig at anyone - just my thoughts on the last few days.

normally the mod can see your IP address, and then block your IP address as well as your username account (unless your on AOL, everyone has the same address on their system)

They have used the banning to show they are not happy with whats going on, but haven't went as far as blocking IP addresses (unless your on AOL, then its a bit more difficult to remove someone)

Steve ,

I dont think that they really relish banning anyone they would much more prefer to just say behave . However I suspect that a few not so vocal members have complained I may be wrong ? who will ever know.

One thing is for sure Warners can't really be seen to condone such behaviour can they *-)

There will never be member MOds because their legal team have said its a NO

Guest Tracker

I think in retrospect they had little real choice yesterday if any form of order was to be perpetuated.

It does seem that in allowing us both back on this occasion they really don't want to exclude but do want to show that they could and I for one am grateful.

handyman - 2007-10-11 9:25 PM normally the mod can see your IP address, and then block your IP address as well as your username account (unless your on AOL, everyone has the same address on their system) They have used the banning to show they are not happy with whats going on, but haven't went as far as blocking IP addresses (unless your on AOL, then its a bit more difficult to remove someone)

You can change your IP address in five minutes so that doesn't really make any difference.

michele - 2007-10-11 9:30 PM Steve , I dont think that they really relish banning anyone they would much more prefer to just say behave . However I suspect that a few not so vocal members have complained I may be wrong ? who will ever know. One thing is for sure Warners can't really be seen to condone such behaviour can they *-) There will never be member MOds because their legal team have said its a NO

I simply do not understand this legal angle. There are many member moderated sites around. Unless they're worried about libel suits etc. but I'm sure that this can be sorted out simply by a contract which indemnifies member mods in the unlikely event of someone suing.

"some ip's change all the time but they never change the whole number

ie. the 1st 3 numbers are always the same unless they change isp

you can use * as a wildcard to scope a band of ip's and also on names or email addresses "

Pasted from what i was reading a while ago..........i missed out the bit where they talk about fake IP addresses, as it drives him mental, so its full of swearing (lol)

Basically, there's not point in banning someone if they can then come straight back in again as 'someone else'. I'm not advocating banning, nor am I saying it's wrong to do so, but in my view by the time it gets to someone being banned it's gone too far.

The forum needs moderation to make sure that things don't get out of hand, unfortunately, the moderation of the site in recent weeks/months has been very scant which allowed situations to develop. I feel that a little moderation earlier on would've stopped a lot of the problems that then occurred.

To use an example, and this is not meant to represent anyone in particular, just purely an example. If there were two dogs in a room, growling at each other constantly and pulling at their leads, and you could hear that it was getting louder and louder, and they were getting themselves all wound up, would you really wait until one of the leads broke before going in there and stopping the growling or splitting them up? I would hope not.

I do hope that the moderator keeps moderating to try to ensure that such a situation doesn't arise again as well as to keep the people who are just creating mischief for the sake of it in hand or to really ban them, and I don't mean the funny, pleasant people, but the ones who are hell bent on trying to cause trouble and discontent, as they are very disruptive and must cause a lot of aggro and be very offputting for more genuine users of the forum.

That's my view, what's yours?

(?)

Guest Tracker
J9withdogs - 2007-10-12 7:55 PM

I agree, Mel, but I think that the Moderators are there, in the background, keeping an eye on things, and they will step in when needs be.

Oh I do hope so!

imo The Mods on the previous incarnation of this site always seemed a bit hyperactive, and leapt in at the slightest hint of provocation to pull threads; now they seem to be erring at the other extreme and trying not to interfere until manure really hits the fan. I didn't see any of the offending thread - least I don't think so - so I don't know what it was about.

imo consistently posting offensive, rude, narky items should result in a warning followed by a ban - which must enforced. We are all capable of an off days, or ill-considered postings [and I've had my share] but some forum users seem incapable of behaving in an 'appropriate manner'. It is also unfortunate that even the biggest oiks out there have their defenders who argue that their posts add something necessary to a site. - and before rampant paranoia has users leaping to their defence the example I'm thinking about doesn't seem to have found this site.

B-)

Guest Tracker
J9withdogs - 2007-10-12 8:17 PM

Talking of sin bins - got the party planned for tomorrow night - win or lose it's gotta be worth a celebration for getting this far (lol)

How far do you usually get Janine?

Archived