RATS ... what's their favourite food?

Mel B

Hi all

Problem - we have a family of rats in the garden, now I know I could put poison down but we have dogs and quite a bit of other wildlife in the garden so I dont' really want to go down that route if I can help it (plus the little ones are really cute!).

I've tried all sorts in the 'humane' trap and so far have only managed to catch on of the little beggars. I did try some nice chocolate cake which kept disappearing and I couldn't understand why the trap didn't trip ... until I caught a ruddy blackbird!!! So, cake is out, tried chocolate, jacket potato (smelt lovely!), chicken and other bits and bobs - any ideas guys?

I really don't want them to still be here when we go on holiday on Friday otherwise poison will, unfortunately, be the only answer.

PS: I do have 2 pet rats so am not looking for any more 'pets'!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you are going away get some rat poison ( in small sachets about £1 each) and a piece of drain pipe or a small box with open ends  put the poison in either pipe or box do not open sachet ( the rats will chew their way in ) preferably against a wall or fence where they are making a run any large animals or birds should not be able to get at the poison,or place the sachets in thier holes then hopefully whilst you are away they should take the poison then its just a matter of time if that fails call in the environmental health dept.

They may look cute but they are flea and disease ridden I have had Wiels Disease which is transmitted by rat urine and was lucky to survive only thanks to my doctor who had seen this terrible disease whilst working abroad and knew what the symptons were.

have a good holiday Kelvyn

Guest starspirit

Most local councils have pest control officers and whenever I see his van I run like hell.

Some councils will assess the problem and provide poison and pet proof holders (for the poison not the rats) and all for FREE - if you ask them nicely.

Mel ,

easy 1 feed bin much like your normal dust bin we use at the stables for feed . they don't ask how jump in eat the food and manage to get out .

the bins would have to be high enough so as your dogs can't get in you could always fill with water at the bottom they say its painless. :-(

michele - 2007-05-08 8:28 PM

Mel ,

easy 1 feed bin much like your normal dust bin we use at the stables for feed . they don't ask how jump in eat the food and manage to get out .

the bins would have to be high enough so as your dogs can't get in you could always fill with water at the bottom they say its painless. :-(

How the heck can drowing be painless!?!?!?!?! 8-)

We bought the bl**dy rat trap for £14.95, caught one young rat and that's it! Really don't want to kill them but can't risk them getting in the bungalow whilst we're away. :-(

Guest starspirit

Sorry Mel but wild 'sewer' rats are vermin and a menace - they spread disease and can cause havoc with wiring and buildings.

You really should not mess about with rats because the longer you leave them the more there will be until you become overrun with the little bu##ers and then even more will have to die.

I have not a clue but apparently its quicker and better than dying a slow death with poison . Agree with Rich Mel they breed worse than rabbits .

At the yard we have to be so careful as we have to make sure that the horses don't get rat droppings.

Have often opened a feed bin to be greeted by one with baby's in tow they just get more and more...especially where there is ready made food on tap. Up to you I would rather drown them than poison plus you have the other animals to think of and the added wild life.. 8-)

Guest peter
Get a Jack Russell like mine. You really must poison the lot of them or you will be sorry. Your neighbours won't be too pleased to have them as guests either. They are very dangerous. Did you know they are the only animal to be not affected by Nuclear Radiation. So when the world decides to self destruct with Nuclear weapons the rats will clear up the dead bodies and the world will start all over again.

Don't mess about with these b-----s. We have had them in our roof and they were the very devil to get rid of. I am afraid poison is the only answer. We had the council man in to deal with our problem at much expence - they went only to reappear later. This year put our own poison down (bought from stable supplier) so far all well this year, touch wood.

Empress

There WILL BE a rat no more than 2 mtrs away from you at this moment thats official & believe me how true they are. pigeons (flying rats ) & rats all want extermenating. Having been trained in H.S.H you get to see what Joe public dont & if you did you would agree with me. The best & only way to be sure is to phone the council up. 

Well, they're still here, we're still trying with the humane cage trap so if nothing has been caught by tomorrow evening then it's poison, like it or not, we can't leave the little horror whilst we're away for 2 weeks.

We've had rats in the attic before, bl**dy pain to get rid of and we couldn't for the life of us find out where they little sods were getting in for ages. Eventually I was clearing some of next door's ivy off our side wall and had to go into their garden, I found that they (the rats not the neighbours!) were using the trellis to climb up to the eaves and getting in through the facia board - a knot must've come out that they'd made the hole bigger, we didn't see it at first due to the ivy covering it up. Soon fixed that and since then touch wood all clear.

I know about calling the man from the Council, only problem is there's usually a minimum 3 week wait for him to come which is totally useless. Anyway, I've got the poison now so their days are numbered ... but the babbies are cute all the same! (lol)

1496773215_MidgePiggyRomy.jpg.1fe54fa15184e8f5755fd93fcb266088.jpg

Hello

I am new to the forum but have followed it for a long time. Me and my husband are looking to buy a motorhome but not for a couple of years or so, but it has been very useful to follow all the advise that you guys post. You are all great fun, and I hope that you don't mind that I have registered.

I decided tonight to register because of the posting re rats! I live in the East Riding and we are having similar problems in our back garden. I also work for the Council and have contacted their pest control team. In the East Riding they do not charge. Unfortunately I am going to have to wait a week for them to come out, which is next Wednesday.

Rats are not cute, they spread all sorts of nastly stuff which you really do not want to catch or put your family or children at risk.

I have cut and pasted the details below of how to contact Pest Control at East Riding Council. Please contact them, they will help you sort out your problem.

Can I be really cheeky and ask, do you by any chance live in the Beverley Area, understand that you can't give out your address on line, but would be interesting to find out if we live in the same street?

Enjoy your holiday and hope you are able to solve your problem in your back garden. Advise I have been given so far is that the main problem to attracting Roland and his friends is feeding the birds and compost bins. I do not feed the birds but do have a compost bin! Guess whoes husband is getting rid of that at the weekend!!

Also, we have been told that we must disinfect all paths, garden furniture, bins, garden sheds, tools, washing lines and anything else they may have touched or to be more precise weed on!! Charming I know but has to be done.

A-Z details Report Online Click here to access the Online Pest Control Enquiry Form

Service Outline The investigation of all requests for service in relation to all insect, rodent, bird and mammalian pests providing, where suitable, treatment facilities and / or advice and guidance where necessary and appropriate enforcement action.

Service Provider Pest control service

Geographical Area Whole of the East Riding

Public Contact Public protection support staff

East Riding of Yorkshire Council

County Hall

Beverley

HU17 9BA

Tel: 01482 396301

Fax: 01482 396191

Email: pest.control@eastriding.gov.uk

Additional Information Free treatment facilities are provided for both rats and cockroaches in domestic premises.

In addition the service provides chargeable treatment facilities for the following classes of pest this includes the provision of and advice on proofing services and contract pest monitoring services

Fleas

Bedbugs

Food storage pests, i.e. beetles/moths

Feral pigeons

Wasps

Moles (only in premises with a contract but these can be domestic or commercial)

Rabbits (only in premises with a contract but these can be domestic or commercial)

Mice (only internally)

Rats (in residential /industrial / commercial/ agriculture sectors)

N.B. to set up a contract contact Neil Evans on 01482 396389 or 396310

A free insect identification service as well as advice and guidance on any bird, insect, rodent or mammal pest is also available.

We will if requested undertake a full survey of any premises free of charge and provide advice and guidance on integrated pest management systems.

We have also introduced a pest proofing service, prices available upon completion of a free survey, or ask the pest control officer for a quote whilst he is on site.

Where treatment is being undertaken we will provide full written information as to the extent and type of treatment and instructions as to the safety of pesticides.

At the end of the treatment we will remove all pesticides, pesticide containers, and where feasible and practicable all pest carcasses.

Service Request Format

N.B.There must be someone present on site when treatment is carried out.

Name of customer/client address of property involved (if house name then nearest identifiable point to assist in location of the property)

Telephone contact number - ESSENTIAL

Home

work

Type of pest/Situation of pest

Domestic users - whether in receipt of means tested benefits

Commercial/Industrial Users

Full address for invoice

Customers position within organisation

Opening Times 8.00am - 5.30pm Monday to Thursday

8.00am - 4.30pm Friday

Visits will take place either AM - between 8:00am and 1:00pm or PM between 12:00pm and 4:00 pm

Unfortunately specific appointment times can not be given.

Cost Discount All chargeable pests to the Domestic sector are currently £43.00 per treatment , with the exception of where 2 officers are required. The charge would be £59.00 A 50% reduction is available for those on means tested benefits:-

Council Tax Benefit (not single person allowance)

Housing Benefit

Family Credit

Working Family Tax credit / Pension Guarantee credit

Disability Working Allowance

Income Support

upon proof being shown to the officer at the time of the visit.

Rat treatments at domestic premises with stables,animal houses etc are charged at £38.00 per hour + VAT & materials.

For industrial, commercial agricultural and business residential premises the charge is £38.00 per hour plus the cost of materials & VAT. Where two men are required the hourly charge will be £59 + VAT + materials

Facilities 1. CCTV drainage camera surveys

2. Pressure testing of drainage testing

3. Proofing services

Eligibility Treatment will only be provided where the owner or occupier of the premises or their authorised agent is present.

Common Questions Q. Does the Council treat for woodlice/ants?

A.No

Q.Does the Council provide pesticides for my own use?

A.No

Q.Will the Council be able to identify the insect I have found?

A.Yes, if you can arrange for it to be delivered to one of the Customer Service Centres it will then be collected by a member of the Public Protection Staff.

Q Will the Council remove the nest?

A No not normally.

Q What if the wasps return?

A Wasps will not return to a destroyed nest, any return may be due to a treatment failure as such we will return and re-treat free of charge

Q Why is there a charge for the treatment of pests?

A The Council has no statutory duty to investigate or treat any pest infestations, therefore this service can only be provided if it is subsidised.

Q Will it affect my domestic pets?

A It is important that they are not in the room whilst it is being treated or for four hours afterwards whilst the insecticide dries. You should notify the office undertaking the treatment of any pets that live in the house.

Q Will the treatment affect my furniture?

A No - the product is water based, but as a result it can not be sprayed on laminate flooring.

Q. How long does it take for the poison to have any effect?

A. between 7 to 10 days.

Q. How long does the treatment take?

A. As long as it takes to eradicate the pest - usually up to 8 weeks for rodents.

Q. Will the Council remove dead rats?

A. Only if undertaking a treatment programme at that premises and only if they are accessible.

Q. Is their a charge for the service?

A.Rats and cockroaches in domestic premises are treated free of charge. There is a charge for all other pests that are treated.

Q. Do the Council destroy swarms of bees?

A. No, but it holds a list of the secretaries of local Bee Keepers Association who may offer to collect the swarm, or give further advice. If not the caller should refer to Pest Control Services in the Yellow Pages.

Leaflets Rats & Mice

Cockroaches

Houseflies

Pigeons

Seagulls

Earwigs, slugs & silverfish

Black Ants

Psocids (Booklice)

Bees & Wasps

Fleas

Spider Beetles

Bedbugs

Larder Beetles

Furniture Beetle & Wharf Borer

Carpet Museum & Fur Beetles

Biscuit Beetles

Complementary Services Customer Service Centre Network

Parallel Services NONE

Janet,

Hello & welcome to the mad house hope you enjoy this friendly informative mad house and have fun .

Mel is probably packing thats why you have not had a reply maybe ...

She's the lucky one off travelling tomorrow.

;-)

Hi Janet, we're in Cottingham, not Beverley so not on the same street ... unless is stretches a very long way of course!

Can't hang about too long tonight, got some bits and pieces to pack still ...

Hello there to all for my welcome.

Hope the information I sent through is helpful. You must not get sentimental about your rats or their babies, they really are not a good deal and can cause you and your family a lot of very nasty stuff.

Enjoy your holiday and keep us updated. As I said contact the Council, the pest control people there are really good.

Janet

Hello Michelle

Thank you for your welcome. As I said I have been checking into this forum for a long time, probably a year or so, but until tonight have not registered. Main reason being that we do not intend to buy a motorhome for a couple of years or so, and we are doing our homework.

However the conversation came up about rats in the area where I live and felt I had to forward information. Hope this was ok.

I was very interested about your aim to write a book about your experiences. How is that going.

I have read your postings for a long time, I just wish there was more people like you that care about society as you do.

Janet

Archived