Radios?

Guest starspirit

Guest starspirit

Is it me or have car radio makers gone mad?

In the old days there were two bands, FM(VHF) and AM(MW)

The radio had a big round knob which you turned for on and off and volume.

It was easy to see whilst driving but best of all when it was off it was off and your battery was safe.

There were 5 or 6 push buttons for pre tuned stations and another big round knob for manual tuning.

It was simple and it worked - and then we had progress - and so called 'designers' arrive and redesign that which did not need redesigning.

Now they (radios - not designers) all have lots of tiny buttons that we never use because we can't safely see them whilst driving and thousands of pre-sets that we never use and all sorts of fancy displays that we don't want.

A CD went in a slot and when it ended we changed it. Now it has a separate unit and when you are fed up with the same old 6 changing CDs is a major operation.

Or is it just me ........................................................?

Speaking as a bit of a techy freak. - Started out as a DJ and have been a theatre sound engineer and computer installation designer amongst many other things. I can't help but agree with you whole heartedly - but maybe it is a sign that I'm getting old! :-(

starspirit - 2007-10-06 2:35 PM

Is it me or have car radio makers gone mad?

In the old days there were two bands, FM(VHF) and AM(MW)

The radio had a big round knob which you turned for on and off and volume.

It was easy to see whilst driving but best of all when it was off it was off and your battery was safe.

There were 5 or 6 push buttons for pre tuned stations and another big round knob for manual tuning.

It was simple and it worked - and then we had progress - and so called 'designers' arrive and redesign that which did not need redesigning.

Now they (radios - not designers) all have lots of tiny buttons that we never use because we can't safely see them whilst driving and thousands of pre-sets that we never use and all sorts of fancy displays that we don't want.

A CD went in a slot and when it ended we changed it. Now it has a separate unit and when you are fed up with the same old 6 changing CDs is a major operation.

If it aint broke dont mend it

starspirit - 2007-10-06 2:35 PM

I don't think so. I do like having things like MP3 on my van radio but I have to agree wholeheartedly about the buttons. I can't see the damn things properly whilst stationary and to try on the move would be dangerous.

Archived