Reims & Epinay

michele

hi michele, i havent done the champagne region since being a motorhomer. however i have done all the main houses - mumm, pommery, veuve cliquot etc etc several years ago. assuming you havent already been id just like to say well done on your choice as they are amazing and not to be missed. the region itself is beautiful. we did travel by car, watch out for the charging roads, though im sure youll plan the country way instead, would be rude not to! when are you going? i would love to hear your verdict, and indeed your route/sites as i am hoping to go next year to share the experience with a friend. - of course, this time in the motorhome!

clare

Thanks for that Clareh,

We are looking at going on the 5th not sure yet though may be might have to change ?..

We have never been before and we were trying to get somewhere close so as to go off do our wondering around and not have to 1 worry about where we leave the van 2 not have far to go if we drunk to much on all these degustations :D . I think there is nothing worse when you go somehwhere for the first time and when we get there it looks tatty and you have to worry about leaving the van there especially as we wouldn't get there until Friday night and it would only leave sat . I don't want to waste time worrying about the site .

so seems like not many people have been before or know of anywhere to park decent ...never mind. ;-)

There is a secure free aire within walking distance of Reims centre (9 places).  It is in the grounds of Parc du Centre International Sejour, Chausee Bocquaine. You have to park (not easy) outside and obtain code for entry barrier at office.  Have a look at campingcar-infos.com for full info and map.

Roy.

HI

If you are going to Reims it is worth going to Lac de Der Nr St Dizier.

This it a Very big lake with lots of free parking. If you ask for directions on here i am sure there is sombody that will give the best route to find it. Hard to find but well worth the effort.

Derrick

There is a Camping Municipale in Epernay... we have stayed there many times!

http://www.davidklyne.plus.com/camping_municipal_epernay.htm

The site is quite convenient, and a van arrives each night with pizzas, wine etc. and there is a bread delivery in the mornings.

As to the champagne houses, many of the good ones require you to book ahead and some even prefer you to be in the trade before opening their doors. The thing to remember about Champagne is that there are a great number of lesser known houses, many making champagne that is quite lovely and much better value for money if you are on a budget. For example, Tarlant makes fantastic wine and is not far from Epernay....

http://www.tarlant.com/

There is a champagne store in Reims, not far from Reims Carthedral, that is a great place to visit first. You can quickly see the broad range available and make a mental note of some prices.

Oh, and one last thing, I'm sure you know, but for those who don't the correct pronunciation is not "Reems", but "Rance".

Regards, mom

Just one other thing on Champagne tasting - similar to most regional wine and whisky regions of the world nowadays, it's no longer realistic to hangout at all the establishments and drink till one drops etc.

One way to do it, though, is to use France Passion. We do this ourselves and highly recomend it.

Perhaps visit a couple of the big houses (remembering that these are spread all over Champagne, not in a single street or block), maybe buy some as you go, but then head to a region which has several France Passion sites (there are 31 FP sites in Champagne, almost every one attached to a Champagne house offering tastings and sometimes other goodies). Find the first FP site, taste, talk, enjoy, perhaps buy, then move on to the next. At some stage, at one of the houses, you will realise you shouldn't drive any further. Camp at that one, amongst the vines, taste again at the house and then return to the van and dive into the others you purchased at the previous houses. Then do it again tomorrow.

The beauty of doing it this way is...

1. When you get to that time of the afternoon, you simply camp up.

2. The FP sites are the lesser houses (mostly), so this approach gives you a more rounded experience of what the region has to offer and a chance to find the bargains.  Using FP will cause you to discover houses not normally experienced by the average punter.

3. Invariably, most of them will be off the main road, in countryside to die for.

It worked a treat for us in Bordeaux and it would also in Champagne.

Of course you need to be in the FP scheme. £20 for subscription, thereafter all sites are free.

Mom,

Thanks for that long reply off to do some hunting now .

As for the FP I think we should enjoy being a member but as yet due to the children have not signed up I think its more for us later in life.

Also we seem to have a fixed period of time when we are going ie 2 weeks summer hols the static time I call it where we just down tools and stay on one site and lots of short weekends which this one will be & half term we are of to Bruge . So I dearly we love FP just for us and no children.

i have been doing alot of reading and like you say they have the smaller less well known brands as well that taste very nice .

In all the ones that I have tasted the favorites are Piper hydseik. & Mum.

I have tried verrve Cliquot not to our liking and on the last trip in the summer holidays we stopped at the shuttle shops and got Cafe du paris & Opera cheap and cheeful but honestly they tasted lovely .

Our main worry was leaving here on a friday daytime getting across later and having to drive for three hours and arriving late not knowing what the area was like and not knowing where to go.

I think we are heading for Epinay because we didn't like the idea of turning up in Reims late and not knowing what it was like or not knowing where to head it being a big place.

So thanks I ,m off to check out your site the municpal now.

Mom the site looks lovely woul you happen to know if its all year we are planning for the 5th of Oct ? it will save me trying broken french on the phone to them. Cheers.

G'day again!  Good question about them being open in October... I gave them a quick call and they are closed from 1st October.  Bummer.  They recommended one at Dormans, not far away (web site below).  I looked at the web page but it says closed in October.  However, it could be out of date.  I tried calling but I get an answering machine.  You may have to dive into the Caravan Club book and look for open-all-year sites.  We travel a lot in the winter, but haven't been in Champagne at the time.

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/france/champagne-ardenne/marne/camp-site-sous-le-clocher-110866/

Mom ,

Sorry side tracked Thankyou very kind of you .

I have sent these to hubby he's the brains of the outfit so he will do some research on the other one.

It looks suitable with dates and I think it will do nicely .

So looks like it will be ,once again thanks for your help.

Michele.

Thanks to all that answered ..........Ok don't be mad we have changed our minds we are going to save it for when we can do it justice .

The drive does not seem worth it to get there so late only have the saturday and leave again because we have to be back on the shuttle.

So thank you everyone at least I,m honest .

We have settled for Brugge for the weekend instead being only 1.30minutes from the shuttle .. (lol) Thanks again.

Bruges/ Brugge/Brooj (whatever) - fantastic place, the "Venice of the North".

Chocolate to die for, and literally hundreds of loverly Belgian beers.

Old town, and the main square are just wonderful areas. Even the outskirts are very picturesque.

Oh, and the "Mueles a la creme with pommes frites" really are heavenly - with big chunks of bread to mop up the sauce.....you HAVE to try them.

Been there several time on Biker tours, never in a MH though.

You''l have a great time there.

Many of the big Champagne Houses are in Epernay e.g. Moet and Mercier.

At Mercier you go below ground in a small electric train.

The Municipal site is in the village centre quite near the Chmapagne Houses. We stayed there in May 2005 and it was quite good.

There is also an aire close by which was very full when we were there.

Hope this helps.

Laurence

Archived