Remis Front Blinds

Guest peter

Guest peter
Just put some Remis Blinds on my Rapido 710f and I had to smile at the dire warning not to drive with them drawn. Surely no-one would actually do that, would they?. Nice product, but the installation method needs something to be desired. They suggest using the self cutting screws that they supply which skid all over the place. Much better to use a pilot drill to cut the holes. Also the two screws that hold the bit at the front where the wing mirror retaining bolts are located,are far too long to be used, as there is a double skin here and the screw ends up right on the edge of the inner skin, so glances off at an angle. So a much shorter ones have to be used. You also have to remove the grommets covering the mirror bolts, but they don't tell you that. I also added a screw midway along on the bottom rail to hold it tight against the window rubber to stop it flapping about. It also looks much neater, being tight up against the window. So no more scrabbling around to put on silver blinds in the Summer to get privacy. :D

Peter

Let me know your thoughts, as eventhough we've got these blinds as standard we still use our Silverscreen with the "Solar" discreet panel on our Hymer.

Reason being is that we find we have condensation on the front windscreen when using these blinds and no condensation when using the Silverscreens. Even if we leave a skylight part open when in at night.

Let me know your views.

Thai

Hi Peter

Which type have you fitted.

There is a single blind that is drawn up front the bottom of the screen and a newer vesion where 2 seperate blinds draw across from each side.

Our Bessacarr has the pull-up version fitted.

They had to be changed under warranty as they were developing a lot of dark mould spots all over.

There have been some previous threads on this (mid 2006) so it is a common problem.

Although I have not seen any comments raised on the newer style.

Guest peter

Thai Bry: We intend to use the silver screens as well in cold weather to stop condensation forming on the screen.

Flicka: I have fitted the newer ones with the two part front screen. They meet in the middle and are made to fit round the mirror. Look real neat.

peter - 2007-08-01 10:48 PM Thai Bry: We intend to use the silver screens as well in cold weather to stop condensation forming on the screen.

Peter

We've got those meet in the middle ones as well, just make sure that you've located the locking mechanism correctly or else when they fly open we could get a right show!!

We only use these when the vans at home to stop any sunlight fading the interior cloth, I know it sounds stupid me saying that in the present climate of rain. When on tour we just use the Silverscreens.

Thai

Cab window-glass concertina-type screens are poor at preventing condensation. Their main benefits are their ability to be drawn rapidly and their neatness (compared to curtains).

On my 2005 Transit-based Hobby I use traditional interior insulating screens (purchased from Van Comfort and adapted to fit behind the REMIS blinds) next to the glass itself, then draw the REMIS blinds, then (unless the weather is particularly warm and dry) hang a length of thick curtain-material in front of the cab-seats extending from the roof to the floor. This 'triple whammy' still doesn't stop condensation forming during cold, wet conditions, but it does help. An external 'Silver Screen' would probably stop condensation totally, but there's no way I'm going to be bothered with the from-the-outside deployment/removal hassle that this type of screen involves (never mind any potential problems of non-compatibility when REMIS screens are also present).

The "dark mould spots" Flicka mentions have nothing to do with mould. The cause of the discoloration lies with the blind material itself and involves chemicals within a metallised inner layer of the material 'bleeding' through its outer surface (That's the outer surface that faces into the leisure vehicle). My Hobby has REMIS blinds on all its windows and roof-lights, and every blind is afflicted by 'spotting' to a greater or lesser degree, except one window blind that is visibly different in design. REMIS admits to the problem, advising that it relates to a particular batch of material, is purely cosmetic and does not affect the blind material's strength or performance. As Flicka says, affected blinds can be replaced under warranty if the vehicle owner demands it.

(Incidentally, if you are going to DIY-fit REMIS cab-blinds, beware of swarf. When you drill the fixing-screw holes steel 'filings' will inevitably be produced that, given the least opportunity, will migrate on to the magnetic strips that hold the blinds in their closed positions where the filings will (also inevitably) rust. So tidy up as you go along and give all the nooks and crannies in the blind-framework a serious final vacuum-cleaning. If the filings do rust on to the magnetic closure-strips, you won't get them off.)

Hi Thai

I think it's because you hook the 2 ends of the external blinds over the inner corner of the doors to secure them, with Remis blinds and side blinds, the thickness of the blind housings will mean that your external blinds will be too 'tight' to slip over ... well ... I think that's what Derek means! 8-)

Mel B - 2007-08-03 6:23 PM Hi Thai I think it's because you hook the 2 ends of the external blinds over the inner corner of the doors to secure them, with Remis blinds and side blinds, the thickness of the blind housings will mean that your external blinds will be too 'tight' to slip over ... well ... I think that's what Derek means! 8-)

Mel,

You're right.

Both Silver Screens and Taylormade make external screens with slightly larger door flaps if you specify that you have Remis blinds fitted. 

Derek Uzzell - 2007-08-03 8:39 AM

The "dark mould spots" Flicka mentions have nothing to do with mould. The cause of the discoloration lies with the blind material itself and involves chemicals within a metallised inner layer of the material 'bleeding' through its outer surface (That's the outer surface that faces into the leisure vehicle).

As Flicka says, affected blinds can be replaced under warranty if the vehicle owner demands it.

QUOTE]

Thanks for the information Derek.

It explains why we were unable to wash the "spots" off.

But certainly no quibbles when I went back to the dealer under warranty.

They had been made aware of a problem, but were also under the impression it was mould.

Mel B - 2007-08-03 6:23 PM Hi Thai I think it's because you hook the 2 ends of the external blinds over the inner corner of the doors to secure them, with Remis blinds and side blinds, the thickness of the blind housings will mean that your external blinds will be too 'tight' to slip over ... well ... I think that's what Derek means! 8-)

Hi Mel

Thanks for this, yep ours fits perfectly as we told Silverscreen what make our van is and that it had the manufacturers "Comfort Blinds fitted".

Know what derek means now.

Thai

If you already have some external screens and the get a van with Remis front and side blinds fitted, don't despair, you needn't buy another set of external bilnds, just do what I did when adapting our Fiat screens to fit our Ford base which is slightly bigger.

Make an extra bit of 'flap' by getting an 8 inch x 8 inch piece of suitable material, turn over 2 of the opposite edges and hem, then with the remaining two edges, hem and sew a strip of velcro hook bit along one edge and a piece of velcro loop on the other on the opposide face of the material, this then bridges the gap in the original security flaps and works a treat, much cheaper than buying new screens.

Easy, peasy, lemon squeazy! (lol)

Archived