Retro fit air con

howie

I know we all bang on about nice weather and sunnier climes but i,m one of those that have trouble handling all this heat and sunshine. Not to bad on site where I can usually find a bit of shade, but its the travelling that gets me.

Parked alongside a couple this weekend with a new Fiat that had cab aircon fitted. A brief demo was enough to convince me, but before I look in to it any further has anyone else had this retro fitted.

Our van is 4 years old and we now plan to keep it for up to a further 5 years. Any ideas on how much this will cost, any problems fitting it and generally speaking do you think its a worthwhile outlay.

Don't understand Chas - I'm assuming Howie is talking about CAB aircon, for use while travelling. If he means the rooftop job for use on site, which needs mains to run, I can see what you mean.

Personally, I'll watch replies on this thread with interest - if we can afford a brand new van when we upgrade later this year, we'll specify cab aircon, but if we can only afford 2nd hand we might have to settle for something without, and have it retro-fitted. Depends what's for sael at the time!

Tony

Guest caraprof

Yes, he means cab aircon as he specifically stated that he needed it whilst travelling.

There are several companies out there which will retro-fit aircon. A few minutes on the web should find some in his area.

I think that it's one of the most important things on a car or motorhome and I can't imagine having one without it. My new Renault Master base vehicle has air con and it's excellent.

Aircon isn't just about keeping cool. One of its greatest attributes is being able to drive with the windows closed, so it's quieter and less tiring. It's also much cleaner without all of that dust blowing in.

Go for it Howie!

Howie

Just you go for it!!!

The last van we had a retrofit cab air con, I think that was fitted by T B Turbo in Lancs.So they'll be able to give you a price.

U've got to stay cool and calm in this heat, and it's getting warmer according to the green's.

Thai

Hi Howie- It was I meant, when you were parked up somewhere as you mentioned that you were parked next to some one with it on, unless they left their engine running to power it. Having experienced the luxuary of both cab and habitation A.C. in a R.V. in Arazona the thought of not having it on when parked up makes you miss it even more. Unless you can accomodate a onboard generator you will of course need EHU. One final point is your probably aware of the extra fuel consumption it uses when its on. Stay cool man. B-) chas

Wouldn't be without cab air con now, must nicer than having the windows open and getting battered by the air flow, flies and other insects, hair blown all over (although I realise that this may not be a problem for some!), and never mind all the dust and noise. It also makes it much safer as the dogs aren't trying to stick their noses out to gasp for fresh air whilst we're travelling!8-)

Don't worry about the extra fuel, it's miniscule - if you open the windows you'll use more fuel with the extra drag than using the air con itself. Air con is also great in a morning when you've got a bit of condensation on the windscreen, it clears it lovely, especially in winter, in fact in our car we use the air con more in winter than in summer! B-)

O.K. i,m convinced. "Go for it" you all say and this is what I wanted to hear. The money is available and all I needed was your moral support.

Sorry if there was any confusion Chas, but it was cab aircon I was talking about and the gent who gave me the demo merely turned the engine on for a minute or two to show me how effective it was. Plenty of local firms willing to carry out the work so i,ll try and get it done as soon as possible.

Hi, Can you give me the telephone numbers of the companies that you have found that will do this work as I am thinking of having it installed and would like to get some competitive prices

howie - 2007-06-11 11:17 PM

O.K. i,m convinced. "Go for it" you all say and this is what I wanted to hear. The money is available and all I needed was your moral support.

Sorry if there was any confusion Chas, but it was cab aircon I was talking about and the gent who gave me the demo merely turned the engine on for a minute or two to show me how effective it was. Plenty of local firms willing to carry out the work so i,ll try and get it done as soon as possible.

Hi Brian. Typed in "vehicle air conditioning" and dozens of sites available. I,ll let you know what sort of prices turn up, but with the two inquiries so far they want to look at the van and see what work is involved first.

Handy place to start is "www.vehicool.co.uk" which gives you a rundown with diagrams on how the system works.

Hi,

I just received a quote from Reader Air there address is below and they want £1475 and need the van for 4 to 5 days, Its apparently a special unit that is manufactured to fit in the Fiat cab and match with the existing fascia's albeit I haven't seen one fitted, but I didn't think that wasn't a bad price, albeit I would like to get a few more quotes just to compare

Unit 3 Boundary Business Centre Boundary Way Woking Surrey GU21 5DH England

Tel: +44(0)1483 726300 Fax: +44(0)1483 729300

Email: sales@readerair.co.uk Web: www.readerair.co.uk

howie - 2007-06-12 10:55 PM

Hi Brian. Typed in "vehicle air conditioning" and dozens of sites available. I,ll let you know what sort of prices turn up, but with the two inquiries so far they want to look at the van and see what work is involved first.

Handy place to start is "www.vehicool.co.uk" which gives you a rundown with diagrams on how the system works.

Still waiting for replies to some e. mails i.ve sent Brian but that figure you quoted sounds about right. Supprised they need the van for so long though and I would have thought a couple of hours would have done it.

Dave. I checked your website first but it seems you don,t do aircon, but any thoughts on how much this should cost what with you being in the trade and all.

I am a A/C engineer, i fit it usually inside buildings but i know exactly what a vehicle sysyem consists of.

It would be a horrible job to fit it to a vehicle, dashboard out, pipes everywhere, belts, muck, oil... urgh rather them than me ;-)

Oh, and lets not forget the siezed up bolt (one on every job)

Thanks for your comments Rich. Asking around quite a few share your sentiments including my regular garage. All agree on the benifits of a/c but not as a retro fit.

The thought of having my pride and joy pulled apart to accomodate the cab air con does nothing to inspire confidence but i,ve already made provisional inquiries with a local firm who quoted just under £1600.

In a bit of a quandry now, so if you have anything more to add i,m more than happy to hear of your experiences re. this subject.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o151/fleck_bucket/autoac.jpg

or: http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o151/fleck_bucket/autoac.jpg

Some of my handywork, tee hee.

Seriously though, if it's your pride and joy, i wouldn't let them touch it. My advice is trade it in for one that has factory fitted a/c.

PS. i have never fitted a/c to a car, and i wouldn't attempt it.

In essence I agree with Rich that retro fitting cab air con is a barsteward of a job but there are companies that specialize in it and having seen examples of their work quite frequently I would not be overly concerned about having it done. Sorry I can't answer your question on costs but around the £1500 ish mark seems reasonable for what is a bugger of a job.

D.

Archived