Smooth landing

Guest peter

I'm sure that's the same pilot who was driving on my first flight to Dublin froom Birmingham. I reckon he had castors fitted to the wing tips for cornering because he didn't seem to slow down for the taxiway. Only time I've known all the passengers and crew to keep their seat belts fastened til the plane actually stopped moving!

D.

Mike Chapman - 2007-05-26 10:41 AM

Blimey Dave,

Was not aware that they flew B52's on the Dublin Birmingham route.

Mike.

Mike,,

Just wait until you have flown with an ex Fleet Air Arm pilot, You aint lived until you have experienced a "Deck Landing" in a 747.

Don

Dave Newell - 2007-05-26 9:00 AM I'm sure that's the same pilot who was driving on my first flight to Dublin froom Birmingham. I reckon he had castors fitted to the wing tips for cornering because he didn't seem to slow down for the taxiway. Only time I've known all the passengers and crew to keep their seat belts fastened til the plane actually stopped moving! D.

Could be.  Doesn't it say RyanAir on the side? :-)

Don Madge - 2007-05-26 11:50 AM Mike,, Just wait until you have flown with an ex Fleet Air Arm pilot, You aint lived until you have experienced a "Deck Landing" in a 747. Don

Experienced something similar with a RAF Transport Command Tristar.  Forget kiss the ground and smile, the RAF puts them down with the intention they'll stay there!  Not so comfortable for the passengers, but safer overall, I was told, because by flying the plane firmly onto the deck, crosswinds and downdraughts have less chance to de-stabilise things at the last minute.  Or so the nice smiley pilot said when he was showing me all his nav aids!

Tony Jones - 2007-05-26 1:30 PM

Came across this clip a few years ago, of an American Hercules (for those who don't know, that's the big four-engined transport plane that looks as if it shouldn't fly) landing ON THE DECK OF A CARRIER.

http://www.theaviationzone.com/media/c130_forrestal_landing.mov

Tony

Some pilots are just amazing! Helicopters can't fly upside down but some bright spark proved they can be looped. I've also seen a Herc being barrel rolled, that's quite scary!

D.

Tony Jones - 2007-05-26 1:30 PM

Came across this clip a few years ago, of an American Hercules (for those who don't know, that's the big four-engined transport plane that looks as if it shouldn't fly) landing ON THE DECK OF A CARRIER.

http://www.theaviationzone.com/media/c130_forrestal_landing.mov

Tony

Would love to see it taking off which I am sure could be done.

We were at the Hercules International Air Tattoo. Quite an experience to see them formation flying, demonstrating the steep landing, empty on the move and steep take off routine used in war zones and rocket assisted take off. They look as though they would be ungainly to fly but the pilots love them. The only thing better was the Confederate Airforce low flying C47's and P51D Mustangs, were they a bunch of blokes enjoying their flying.

Anyone who enjoys aircraft and has not been to the IAT give it a visit, well worth it.

Mike.

Mike Chapman - 2007-05-26 4:22 PM

Would love to see it taking off which I am sure could be done.

Mike.

Yes, I think there's a clip of that on the same site. Try chopping the last bit off the address to get to the page "above" - there should be links to both then.

Tony

Archived